Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Armed Tradesmen In Your Home.

I was confronted by a beta male business owner about my group being armed or not.

I just lied, said “no sir We dont believe in weapons” behaved peacefully as normal - and let him think he was safer.

Which is what anyone with half a brain is going to do.

You’re not putting hands on a tradesman for a pat down - just as the beta male business owner was in no position to verify my statement. And I really don’t care about the rules - especially if I’m a dishwasher repair guy and the first thing a home owner wants to talk about is guns.

As someone who worked as a tradesman and was armed - no client ever seemed to care, if they noticed or not.

If you don't trust the people working on your house, then you need different people working on your house.

Hell, I'm FAR more inclined to trust someone who is legally carrying a weapon than a dude who isn't.

It's like handing a cop your concealed handgun license, at least in Texas. It's a clear statement of, "I am not a felon nor have I been convicted of a class B or above misdemeanor within the past 5-years." - Wouldn't we all like to know that people we work with are law-abidding citizens?

You know how we can tell people are law-abidding citizens? If they work an honest job and carry a gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Plumbers are well known for their inability to conceal.
    Especially when they SOB Carry. Or is it SOPC= Small Of Plummers Crack.....
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

OP,

I can understand your point of view. Just as I can understand the point of view of others.

As someone who taught 40 hour CIT (Crisis Intervention Team) academies for a number of years, I can tell you this; You have no idea, simply by looking at a person, the battles they may be fighting in their head.

CIT definition:

The Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) program is a community partnership of law enforcement, mental health and addiction professionals, individuals who live with mental illness and/or addiction disorders, their families, and other advocates. It is an innovative first-responder model of police-based crisis intervention training to help persons with mental disorders and/or addictions access medical treatment rather than place them in the criminal justice system due to illness-related behaviors. It also promotes officer safety and the safety of the individual in crisis.

Based on that, I don't really trust anybody that I don't know, or that someone I know well has not vetted.

Just because they have a CCW, or don't have a felony on their record really does not mean much to me.

I have dealt with an incredible amount of severely mentally ill people. Most of those we end up getting to voluntarily commit, for the sake of getting them the help they need as quickly as possible, without any legal repercussions (since it is not a crime to be mentally ill). Therefore, they still have 2A rights. A great many more mentally ill people slip through the cracks.

It is not like they are wearing a nametag on their shirt that says: Hi My name is David, and I have not been properly diagnosed for Schizoaffective disorder.

Many of these people self medicate with street drugs, as the traditional drugs they are prescribed make them feel like zombies, make them non functional, etc.

In short, I understand completely about not wanting a stranger in my house who is armed, around my wife and kids.

My house:

People I know and trust yes

Strangers no

Outside my house:

Barring relevant considerations generally not a problem but you get extra attention

YMMV

Banned
    I want to say again that I've rethought my initial opinion from my opening post.

I realize it is impossible for me to know who would or wouldn't be carrying a gun in my home. I also know from my time working as a plumber that I had things on my tool belt that would do a hell of a lot more damage than a gun.

Having said that, I want to reiterate that in the particular instance that was being discussed the poster did know the guy was armed because he was (according to the poster).printing really hard.

The initial question that was asked was "Would you tell the guy that he was printing or keep your mouth shut?" My response was that as long as the guy wasn't going to be inside my home it was none of my business and I wouldn't say a word. Somebody else said that they'd call the guy's boss and tell him and I said that there was no way in hell I would do that.
    Last edited by Cypher; 11-16-2019 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

My response was that as long as the guy was doing work outside my house it's none of my business and I'd have said nothing BUT I wouldn't let someone that I didn't know walk into my house with a gun. I was informed that my attitude made me an elitist hypocrite.

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like protecting my home is my primary mission as a husband and father.
    We always guffaw when the anti gun sets conflate firearms with hostile intent.

Ban the guns, they say. Only evildoers want anything to do with firearms (including the police & military). My kids and my property should be protected from such villainy- disarm the population! Ban the ARs! Seize the magazines! We can’t let strangers traipse about with guns! Police and soldiers ...ugh . OK I guess, if the lawyers are cool with it. But no armed tradesmen or townsfolk!

Your post lines up with that philosophy. Perhaps it’s wise to ask why that is.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Interesting that only firearms are seen as dangerous. Ok, great, John Doe carpenter left his Glock in the van, because he was being respectful of the silly no guns sign on your front door. Glad he doesn't have a screwdriver, wrench, pliers, pipe, hammer, saw, pry bar, paint scraper, carpet knife, drill, circular saw.......
    Duct tape. Don't forget the tape.

With the amount of felons petty criminals ,drunks, addicts and just general broke dicks that are in the trades, you should be happy to have someone that is able to legally carry show up

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    With the amount of felons petty criminals ,drunks, addicts and just general broke dicks that are in the trades, you should be happy to have someone that is able to legally carry show up
    Because people who are legally prohibited from carrying s gun never carry them?

All you know when you see someone carrying a gun is that they're carrying a gun

User Tag List