Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Armed Tradesmen In Your Home.

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    With the amount of felons petty criminals ,drunks, addicts and just general broke dicks that are in the trades, you should be happy to have someone that is able to legally carry show up
    Do tell. Our company and most similar companies have a mandatory drug screening prior to hire. We've hired felons in the past but have no longer done so because of the market for qualified labor. I suppose there are a lot more shady characters that end up in residential services and trades because of the lower standards of those companies.

I always assume that any stranger in my house is a potential threat, regardless of whether they are packing or not. If I didn't like the vibe I got from them I wouldn't let them in, again regardless of whether they were packing or not. I don't assume the presence of a firearm is an indication of nefarious intent nor do I presume that a tradesman has just as much integrity and the same moral values as I.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I suppose there are a lot more shady characters that end up in residential services and trades because of the lower standards of those companies.
    I think that's his point.

My wife used to do worksite safety/medical and drug screening for Conoco-Phillips and dudes popped every single day.

It really blew my mind given how much they were making and the penalty being an automatic lifetime ban on all company jobsites worldwide, no ifs ands or buts...….as well as being made bottom-tier for further job opportunities from their union.

So, as you've noted, the ones who can't hack the straight and narrow path end up in our homes.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-24-2019 at 01:50 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If you don't trust the people working on your house, then you need different people working on your house.
    Exactly! Check them out yourself. If they look sketchy, they're sketchy. Probably the sketchiest, and the ones you have the least control over, are cable/satellite contractors.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Because people who are legally prohibited from carrying s gun never carry them?

All you know when you see someone carrying a gun is that they're carrying a gun
    Criminals usually do a much better job of hiding their guns when around normal people...their freedom depends on it

If you see the gun (in the situation we are talking about) it’s a good bet they are legal...not suggesting you should dismiss it

Do tell. Our company and most similar companies have a mandatory drug screening prior to hire. We've hired felons in the past but have no longer done so because of the market for qualified labor. I suppose there are a lot more shady characters that end up in residential services and trades because of the lower standards of those companies.

I always assume that any stranger in my house is a potential threat, regardless of whether they are packing or not. If I didn't like the vibe I got from them I wouldn't let them in, again regardless of whether they were packing or not. I don't assume the presence of a firearm is an indication of nefarious intent nor do I presume that a tradesman has just as much integrity and the same moral values as I.
    What’s to tell, it’s just reality...there are more tradesmen that are independent or work for small businesses that large companies

Criminals usually do a much better job of hiding their guns when around normal people...their freedom depends on it
    Out of curiosity, is that by way of deductive conclusion or through direct observation, that you've arrived at the above?
    Jules
    Runcible Works

What’s to tell, it’s just reality...there are more tradesmen that are independent or work for small businesses that large companies
    Been there, done it all. I don’t recall bringing up large companies but I could see where you’d make that assumption.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Out of curiosity, is that by way of deductive conclusion or through direct observation, that you've arrived at the above?
    General observation of what happens in the world around me
    Very rarely do you hear of a bad guy getting arrested because of someone seeing a gun on a bad guy???
    When you do it’s usually because the bad guy is about to do something

Been there, done it all. I don’t recall bringing up large companies but I could see where you’d make that assumption.
    Most small companies don’t do background checks, and if they do it’s not really a no go to be a felon

If you're afraid to have a guy in your house that's strapped, do your own repair work. The choice really is simple.

User Tag List