Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Armed Tradesmen In Your Home.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I own a company with an average of 10 employees, build about 20-25 homes a year, and usually have 3-4 remodel projects going at any time. So not a heavy hitter in the industry, but not super small either. My perspective comes from that, and growing from a much a smaller company.

Most small residential companies, like mine, don't do a background check. We ask in the interview if you're a felon, and I don't think I've ever been lied to. And of course, some guys straight up say they are. We don't hire them though. A lot of our work is word-of-mouth and I don't want it getting out that we have felons in your home. People also seem to think I'm a charity and are constantly referring their friends and relatives who are "trying to get their life together". I'm not opposed to getting a second chance...it just won't be with me.

Drug tests too. We don't test, but we always ask if you can pass a test. Nobody ever said "No," but you can tell by some people's reaction that they can't. Most hard drug users may be able to fool you for a while, but they usually find a way to get themselves fired sooner rather than later. Usually by not showing up.

The construction industry certainly has its share of shitbags. You can get out of the pen and hired onto a roofing or drywall crew that day. They're generally not the ones inside your home working unsupervised though.

People who build houses need to understand that residential is not the totality of "the trades" or "construction".
    The large share of trade/construction work in industrial, heavy & highway, large scale commercial, etc is a completely different animal with different rules, compensation packages and different participants.
    Don't lump us in with residential roofers and drywallers.

I didn't intend to. But, residential is what I do and accordingly know quite a bit about. And, everyone else you mentioned is not likely to be working in OP's home.

I also know commercial/gov tests much more strictly. And I've personally known guys who got hit on a random drug test and lost a sweet job, all because they couldn't say no to a joint or a bump.

Site Supporter
    I posted earlier in the thread. My concern pertains to persons who are carrying a handgun openly. The reason is my bias against persons carrying in this manner. This bias causes me not to trust their judgment. One older gentleman showed up at my house with an openly carried pistol. We chatted; I pointed out that his handgun was too valuable to knock around with; and later I gave him a nice El Paso holster with which to carry a suitable but low end 380. Guns and holsters aside, he can carry what he wishes at my house. My bias does not apply to him. He is an advanced level craftsman who drives a really cool big Indian bike. He is a sensible guy. I have no intention of "interviewing" discreet carriers even if they might print slightly. I learned in the inner city to stay out of other folks' business. That habit works well as a general rule.

Armed Tradesmen In Your Home.

Hmm. Well. Turns out I know one of these guys quite well, although he’s never worked directly for me.

AFAIK he had zero interest in guns, apparently besides how to flip (someone else’s) for a profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 11-26-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Site Supporter
    We added an extended garage with shop a few years back. Four guys made up the crew. All had done hard time. I had known the head person. My wife and I would use them again. Three of the four were older and were exerting a positive influence on the younger member. In this case I knew the score before the project started. These men were making an effort to improve their lives. My wife and I did not patronize but perhaps we showed an extra measure of kindness and consideration. These guys had zero interest in guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Hmm. Well. Turns out I know one of these guys quite well, although he’s never worked directly for me.

AFAIK he had zero interest in guns, apparently besides how to flip (someone else’s) for a profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So what trade were they in?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

If a worker showed up with an obviously printing handgun, I'd probably talk to him/her about holsters and such. But I live in a county were I was showing off pics of my carry pieces (and inciting envy) to a local sheriff's deputy while collecting tickets for the high school football game, one of my neighbors has a permanent human silhouette target visable in the yard, and I have a female student who's been on cloud nine for a week after taking a textbook perfect double-shoulder shot on a buck with a .270 Winchester.

But I probably would have had the same discussion when I lived in Durham.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 11-29-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    So what trade were they in?
    Electrical, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Electrical, mostly.
    Those electricians are shady by nature.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List