Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Armed Tradesmen In Your Home.

Banned

Armed Tradesmen In Your Home.

This question came up on another forum and I wanted to throw it out here to see what the response would be.

The scenario was the poster had some Tradesman out to his house to do some work. He happened to notice that one of them was printing pretty hard. His question to The Forum was whether or not he should have let the guy know so he didn't get in trouble or whether he should have kept his mouth shut.

My response was that as long as the guy was doing work outside my house it's none of my business and I'd have said nothing BUT I wouldn't let someone that I didn't know walk into my house with a gun. I was informed that my attitude made me an elitist hypocrite.

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like protecting my home is my primary mission as a husband and father. I also think it's ridiculous for me to do things like reinforce my door jambs and put out motion detector lights(which I of course don't have because I live in an apartment) and cameras and do all these other things to harden my perimeter and then let somebody I don't know walk into my house with a gun.

I'd like to hear what other people think about this. I'm curious to hear whether people agree or disagree with me.

I assume everyone is armed because I believe everyone has the right to be armed. If someone gives me reason to distrust them, then I don't let them in or don't leave them unsupervised...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Unless you're going to go TSA at your doorway, you'll only know the guys who are printing anyway. I've had armed repairmen in my home before. Why do I care they are armed? They took the job to give estimates on waterproofing a basement so they could rob people while they were there? Someone who a company has the identification of and sent them to my home is using that as a ruse to gain entry for nefarious purposes? Seems a bit far-fetched to me, and ignores the point that even if it were true telling him to disarm is pointless.

Being armed isn't being a threat.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Unless you're going to go TSA at your doorway, you'll only know the guys who are printing anyway. I've had armed repairmen in my home before. Why do I care they are armed? They took the job to give estimates on waterproofing a basement so they could rob people while they were there? Someone who a company has the identification of and sent them to my home is using that as a ruse to gain entry for nefarious purposes? Seems a bit far-fetched to me, and ignores the point that even if it were true telling him to disarm is pointless.

Being armed isn't being a threat.
    I think part of my attitude comes from the fact that I used to work for a company that cleaned carpets in people's houses and I know how many of my co-workers got caught stealing from people's houses.

I use to teach CCW classes for a gun store that wanted to make it so that the customers in the store couldn't carry a firearm in the store. I had a calm discussion with the business owners. It shinned the light on the fact that they were selling guns to people who were going to carry guns but they didn't want them to carry. The discussion turned to how those two things didn't add up in my mind and how they might add up in their customer's minds. The no customer guns in the store policy was never implemented.

Many elitist believe it's ok for ME to carry, just not you.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I think part of my attitude comes from the fact that I used to work for a company that cleaned carpets in people's houses and I know how many of my co-workers got caught stealing from people's houses.
    Sure. Your biggest threat is theft, which is as easily accomplished unarmed. How many of your co-workers committed a violent act? If any, did it require a weapon?

Theft and a scout for a burglary crew are your threats with contractors, and being armed doesn't impact either.

We've had a lot of workers in our house this year. Roofing repair, replacement windows, and basement waterproofing. Multiple bids for each. I simply make sure there's no tempting valuables left out, talk to everyone on the crew a bit and get a feel for body language, nervousness, etc, and don't leave them alone until i'm satisfied they are legit. If something feels off, it probably is.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Well, if somebody is in my house doing repair work I am gonna be armed, and I practice every weekend, so I figure my odds are at least OK...

Site Supporter
    If a tradesperson wants to rob me, telling them "no guns" is probably not going to see much compliance anyway. "Have a plan".

tangent

The big joke in my house is whenever we can't find some "thing"... Keys... jewelry... wallet.... sweatshirt... Trivial or not.
    We jokingly blame it on the cleaning crew that has serviced us twice a month for the past 15 years. "I'm sure the maids took it"
    In that time, literally, nothing has actually gone missing that we didn't eventually find.
    99.9% of the time we just "put it someplace where we be sure we wouldn't forget it", then forgot where.
    0.1% of the time the cleaning crew put it someplace they thought we'd know where to look.

/tangent.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

To everyone else - you’re that “someone walking around with a gun”

This is a stupid conversation.

Is the allegedly armed guy doing anything wrong except shattering your perception of being the only armed person around?

Yea. It’s just not that big a deal

When I go into other people's houses, I am armed.

I have no problem with invited people like tradesmen being armed in my house. I've only ever noted one armed tradesman in my home, though. He was a plumber open carrying. It didn't come up in conversation.
    Last edited by Moylan; 11-12-2019 at 09:16 AM.

User Tag List