Thread: Interesting paper discussing knives and the 2A

Interesting paper discussing knives and the 2A

Pretty much per the title. Long, but with good footnoting of sources.

https://online.wsj.com/public/resour...nts/knives.pdf
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Interesting read.

The single biggest issue I have with knife laws is that I can spend hours researching the knife statutes and caselaw in a given city or state, and still end up without an answer to the question of exactly what is legal or illegal, even if the knife in question is a folding knife with a blade that does not exceed 4". In addition to the Second Amendment issue, in my opinion many knife laws raise the issue of due process, since they simply do not give adequate notice of exactly what is prohibited. Unfortunately the court cases I have read have glossed over this issue with little discussion.

The endless confusion as to what constitutes a "Bowie knife, dirk or dagger" never cease to provide hours of entertainment.

Nobody knows nothing.

Of course, that may or may not prevent them from charging one anyway.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    How exactly does one decide the difference between a "dangerous knife" and an "ordinary pocket knife"? The factors set forth by some court opinions would potentially (but not certainly) put a locking folder with a thumb hole or thumb stud in the "dangerous knife" category even though such knives are extremely common and ordinary.

From what multiple LEO friends have told me, enforcement is highly variable as well. All have told me that they aren't going to arrest someone for a knife unless they are already arresting them for something much more serious.

I was out with some buddies last night, and ended up eating pie at a hipster coffee shop. The hipster barista with full sleeves and a logger beard had a 10" Bowie knife on his belt. I told him I liked his knife, and he volunteered that he wears it to defend against robberies. There are lots of homeless guys in the area, and evidently some are aggressively robbing places for food and the tip jar.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-12-2019 at 05:22 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    From what multiple LEO friends have told me, enforcement is highly variable as well. All have told me that they aren't going to arrest someone for a knife unless they are already arresting them for something much more serious.

I was out with some buddies last night, and ended up eating pie at a hipster coffee shop. The hipster barista with full sleeves and a logger beard had a 10" Bowie knife on his belt. I told him I liked his knife, and he volunteered that he wears it to defend against robberies. There are lots of homeless guys in the area, and evidently some are aggressively robbing places for food and the tip jar.
    I would agree that the single most certain way to avoid running into a problem for having a knife is not drawing the negative attention of the police for any other reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Stop and frisk.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List