Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig RomeoZero in the wild

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    One last note to my completely disinterested audience.

The RomeoZero is much more at home outside in bright daylight. In fact, it borders on acceptable. The fuzzy dot has minimal distortion in bright ambient light. Indoors or dim/low light, (most likely defensive conditions?), it's garbage.
    If the snow let's up, I am going to give mine another try today. Along with a Holosun 507c I stick on a G19 to replace an ailing RMR.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    I know it's a small sample but this thread had been really helpful. I'm looking at my next purchase being a pistol with red dot and the sig offerings are on the radar cos it's a one stop shop.

The CS response you received was the final nail in that coffin.

There just isn't much more to say except thanks for posting
    Thanks. You are close enough that you could demo what I have before you buy. Let me know if you wish to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Thanks. You are close enough that you could demo what I have before you buy. Let me know if you wish to do that.
    Thanks for the offer.

I've been looking at carry pistol options and the 365XL/R0 was going up against having the slide of a 43x or 48 milled for the R0. The cost difference isn't significant by the time you figure in 10 magazines, which, as they are kinda expendables, seems a good number to start with. (The cost of the Sig magazines actually makes the Sig the more expensive option, but with more experienced shooters than me saying they "shoot like a larger gun" it seemed prudent to consider the gun). I'm on the fence re the whole Sig trust issue.

This thread has given me enough reason to pause, I think I'll be taking the sensible route to my first dot equipped pistol with a Glock19-5 MOS - I already have umpteen magazines and while my Glock 17-4 may have subtle differences, it makes sense to me to keep it Glock.

For the sight I'm looking forward to the early adopter reports on the Holosun's announced at SHOT with a Vortex Venom as an alternate, I know the Venom is not seen in the same light as many but it's hard to beat Vortex's warranty, they take care of their customers. This is to see if a red dot on a pistol works for me, it'll get a good number of rounds but it won't be carry or nightstand gun till I'm confident in it.

I think it holds promise - my eyesight means that with my glasses on, the target is crisp and the front sight blurred, without glasses my front sight is crisp but the target is not.

Took mine to the range today. Battery was dead. I have had it for one month.

I wanted to add my experience to the collective. I've heard about a lot of the negatives related to this optic and must admit it "feels" very fragile and the emitter seems overly exposed. It certainly doesn't generate confidence. With that being said, I have had a good experience with it so far. I began using it on 1/20/20 on a 365XL and have carried it daily since. Battery is still going and zero has held.

The lens is VERY easy to scratch and seems especially prone to scratch right in the middle of the lens right in field of view for the dot. I'm only about 2000 rounds into it but so far am relatively pleased with how it has performed.

Finally, yesterday morning, my holstered XL fell off my bathroom counter and landed on my tile floor right square on the optic hood (overly eager to reach the soap apparently). This is roughly a 3 foot fall. The optic suffered no noticeable damage and has held zero as of my range session this morning. I expect this to be sheer luck as I don't think it would survive another fall. It also didn't fire on its own accord, although my butthole certainly puckered.

While pleased so far, I must admit I still don't have full confidence in the optic even though it hasn't given me reason to yet. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get over it and admittedly probably shouldn't be carrying it as a result but wanted to give it a chance.

Name:  IMG_4936.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  20.8 KB

I guess to add to the dogpile...

I bought a RomeoZero at an acceptably cheap price, figuring it would tide me over until my Holosun 407K arrived. Purchased in early June, battery installed, zero'd, etc.

Problem 1 was a random loss of windage zero. Between my first range trip of approximately 200 rounds and the second, it shifted about 4" left at 25 yards. It was on at the end of the first trip because I recall closing that session with 25 yard B8 shooting. I have no explanation for the loss of zero.

The battery died sometime today, after approximately 40 days of normal use. Some carry, but not much, and in any event the shake awake was active so it was not 40 days of constant on.

Problem 2 was observed today. I changed the battery and torqued the optic down to spec. The dot was visibly well out of zero when reinstalled. I attempted to roughly re-zero it referencing the iron sights, but the elevation adjustment screw no longer responds.

Total round count on the optic was 384.

In sum, don't waste your money.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I guess to add to the dogpile...

I bought a RomeoZero at an acceptably cheap price, figuring it would tide me over until my Holosun 407K arrived. Purchased in early June, battery installed, zero'd, etc.

Problem 1 was a random loss of windage zero. Between my first range trip of approximately 200 rounds and the second, it shifted about 4" left at 25 yards. It was on at the end of the first trip because I recall closing that session with 25 yard B8 shooting. I have no explanation for the loss of zero.

The battery died sometime today, after approximately 40 days of normal use. Some carry, but not much, and in any event the shake awake was active so it was not 40 days of constant on.

Problem 2 was observed today. I changed the battery and torqued the optic down to spec. The dot was visibly well out of zero when reinstalled. I attempted to roughly re-zero it referencing the iron sights, but the elevation adjustment screw no longer responds.

Total round count on the optic was 384.

In sum, don't waste your money.
    The Romeo zero’s value proposition seems to be about $200 of optic with at least $500 worth of aggravation.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Lol. That sounds about right for Sig in general, and electro optics in particular.

Just to put a little weight on the other side of the scale, I've had great experiences with two Romeo 1's over thousands of rounds and a Romeo Zero with far fewer rounds (about 200 over two range trips and probably 10x dry fire/draws). My guns and dots live an easy life these days. They are under a shirt, on the range, or in the safe. They haven't seen a lot of abuse, but they have worked as advertised. I've been happy so far.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Wanted to come back and update. I now have had a 507k in use for as many rounds and the R0. The R0 is a joke. You can get a 407k for the same price and FAR better ability to

1. Adjust zero
    2. Adjust brightness
    3. Use built in rear sight for cowitness
    4. Have a dot that doesn’t look like shit
    5. Actually mounts flush to the slide without sticking up at the point nearest the ejection port.
    6. Holds a zero
    7. Replace the battery without removing optic and rezeroing
    8. Have a battery last longer than a month on average

$50 bucks more and you can get some reticle options in a 507k. All that in a fairly sturdy aluminum housing that performed well in Aaron Cowan’s tests. Why the hell would anyone buy the Romeo Zero? I don’t even know what to do with mine. Throw it in the trash?

Site Supporter
    LGS got in some LE/IOP P365XLs with R0 I stalked.

I had to retire my j frame and I’m trying to decide between a P365, G43 and the soon to be approved P365 XL.

Put 50 rounds through this. R0 was 4” right out / on for elevation out of the box.

It’s better than the 365 for me but it’s still a little to small to be fun to shoot. We’ll see how the R0 holds up. My impression from this thread is I should just go ahead and buy a Holosun 507k now for the inevitable replacement.

Name:  3C629336-1FA7-49F6-97A4-62A6229C4F36.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  58.6 KB

User Tag List