Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig RomeoZero in the wild

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Cornstalker, are you going to ask Sig to replace your Zero? those mostly sound like QC issues, and I feel like they would try to make it right.
    Not sure. I am concerned about many months I would have to wait for a replacement? Besides, my gunsmith got one on the same order and his is exactly the same way.

I can say that I am not likely to keep it, but too early to tell right now.

Picked up a 356 XL with the Zero on it from a LGS today. It is rainy cold and very windy here today but had to at least try it out. For those who say the sight seems cheap, I would agree. Probably because it is cheap and all plastic. My biggest complaint with it so far is the hard to use brightness adjustment. Granted I was not feeling my hands very well with the cold but I couldn't adjust it at the range with my finger I had to use the cap from a sharpy. Very interested to see how long the battery lasts. A spare was included.

As for how it shot, well for crap but I can't blame it on the sight. After hearing so much about how the XL shoots like a big gun, all I can say is for me, it doesn't. Not sure if it is the size combined with that awful flat trigger or what but my first shots were about a foot (yes 12 inches) low right at 10 yards. I mostly shoot full size Glocks and some 1911. I will say I shoot my worked over 642 better than this though. I have already started to dry fire with it to see if I can make it work for me or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Picked up a 356 XL with the Zero on it from a LGS today. It is rainy cold and very windy here today but had to at least try it out. For those who say the sight seems cheap, I would agree. Probably because it is cheap and all plastic. My biggest complaint with it so far is the hard to use brightness adjustment. Granted I was not feeling my hands very well with the cold but I couldn't adjust it at the range with my finger I had to use the cap from a sharpy. Very interested to see how long the battery lasts. A spare was included.

As for how it shot, well for crap but I can't blame it on the sight. After hearing so much about how the XL shoots like a big gun, all I can say is for me, it doesn't. Not sure if it is the size combined with that awful flat trigger or what but my first shots were about a foot (yes 12 inches) low right at 10 yards. I mostly shoot full size Glocks and some 1911. I will say I shoot my worked over 642 better than this though. I have already started to dry fire with it to see if I can make it work for me or not.
    Bet you will feel different about the XL when your hands warm up! The reports on the Zero caused me to cancel my order for one. The RMSc, and hopefully the new Holosun seem like better options.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Cornstalker, are you going to ask Sig to replace your Zero? those mostly sound like QC issues, and I feel like they would try to make it right.

I went ahead and called Sig. They went straight after astigmatism. They also told me that the turnaround time may be extremely long if a warranty replacement is determined necessary. They asked for pics of the dot, and paid little mind to the fact that I have six other optics with nice round dots using the same eyes. They did key in on the left side distortion in the lens.

I have little hope that this will be anything but a waste of time. Might not even send it in.

And another thing...

I was told that the red halo that washes the lens out with the dot near the bottom is normal due to a small window and some crap about a glue strip at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I went ahead and called Sig. They went straight after astigmatism. They also told me that the turnaround time may be extremely long if a warranty replacement is determined necessary. They asked for pics of the dot, and paid little mind to the fact that I have six other optics with nice round dots using the same eyes. They did key in on the left side distortion in the lens.

I have little hope that this will be anything but a waste of time. Might not even send it in.
    That is about what I would expect. I am still peeved my XL didn't come with the plate and rear sight to put on after me Zero dies. Can't seem to locate one to purchase separately either

Site Supporter
    FWIW, I smashed my Vortex Venom against a wood barrier. I didn't call them, just sent it to them with their filled out form stating that it was entirely my fault. The sent me a brand new Venom in less than a week.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

I figured that I would share some of the things that I noticed when trying to capture pics for Sig to examine.

First, holding the camera close to the optic, the main dot isn't too bad. The one above it is a little dim and fuzzy. I suspect it is the "washout halo" when the dot is low in the lens at arm's length. It looks the same to my eye at that distance.

Name:  IMG_2806.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  22.5 KB

Next is the fuzzy flat football shape that occurs with the camera a further distance from the optic. Looks about the same to my eye at that distance.

Name:  IMG_2809.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  43.2 KB

If I put the camera closer to the lens, you get to see a scale model of the solar system in there.

Name:  IMG_2810.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  37.7 KB

Lastly, a shot from closer to arms length with the blob low in the screen. In case you can't make it out, the dot is roughly imposed over the front sight.

Name:  IMG_2812.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  34.3 KB

One last note to my completely disinterested audience.

The RomeoZero is much more at home outside in bright daylight. In fact, it borders on acceptable. The fuzzy dot has minimal distortion in bright ambient light. Indoors or dim/low light, (most likely defensive conditions?), it's garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    One last note to my completely disinterested audience.
    I know it's a small sample but this thread had been really helpful. I'm looking at my next purchase being a pistol with red dot and the sig offerings are on the radar cos it's a one stop shop.

The CS response you received was the final nail in that coffin.

There just isn't much more to say except thanks for posting

User Tag List