Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Output EDC/Defensive/Utility Lights? I Dont Get It.

Single Output EDC/Defensive/Utility Lights? I Dont Get It.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    So.

Watching trends on the Instagram is hilarious. New product gets released, people gush about it with pretty photos and a sentence or two about how awesome it is but rarely does anyone explain WHY its awesome.

Enter Modlight and their soon to be released handhelds featuring their OKW and PLH (I dunno if they're offering both heads) heads.

I literally CANNOT wrap my head around a single output handheld light.

I've asked people for use case explanations and no one has offered up anything compelling.

ALL of my EDC lights are dual stage high/low or low/high.

ALL of my work lights are the same.

Weaponlights are completely different and I think everyone can agree that weaponlights should be single stage.

Can anyone offer me up a compelling reason as to why a single stage light is a useful tool? Who would want this? What is the application? How is it used?

Lucy 'Splain.
    My take on why people prefer single output for most situations boils down to two reasons.

1) Keep It Simple Stupid aka KISS

Let’s say all of ones weapon lights are bright single output and press for momentary and click/twist for constant on. Then let’s say your weapon light fails or the battery dies, but that’s ok because your edc light is the exact same setup.

You can always adapt and find items or ways to make a bright light useful but you can’t make a dim light brighter or throw farther. Downside with bright single output is battery life.

2) Durable, reliable, and proven

Multi function multi output lights have come a long way and most are of equal quality, but most people would say that a single output simple tail cap is the most durable and dependable type. Which I would think is why almost all weapon lights are this type and why most people suggest these for hard use.

Personally I am a big fan of the 2 is one 1 is none mindset
    I carry a surefire or streamlight tactical high only and an olight s1r baton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paperman; 11-13-2019 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paperman View Post
    Multi function multi output lights have come a long way and most are of equal quality, but most people would say that a single output simple tail cap is the most durable and dependable type. Which I would think is why almost all weapon lights are this type and why most people suggest these for hard use.
    I concur. The gist of the OP questioned the utility of single-output lights. When purpose-built as above, they absolutely excel in this role.

Here is the same light I've described in this thread mounted on my 1187P, only change is the Malkoff shrouded tailcap;

I've experimented with many different lights on this shotgun (including dedicated WMLs) and this setup is the best to date: the switch is within easy reach, the head is far enough forward to avoid major barrel shadow, and of course the light itself is perfectly suited for the task. I've run this setup in a shotgun training class and it performed admirably. It also fits my preference of having capable lights suitable for both hand held and weapon-mounted use.

That said...

I've never (and hopefully never will) been in a situation where the use of deadly force would be justified. Yet every day in the winter months I use a handheld light to take the dogs out for their final relief of the day, and find daily need for an illumination tool for mundane tasks. For this role, smaller multi-output lights are far more useful.

So @Magsz I hear what you're saying. Though I'm not a LEO, I can understand that the vast majority of use is for those same, non life-threatening purposes. Yet, your chances of engaging in an armed confrontation are far greater than mine.

If I was in your shoes, and knowing what I've learned through this flashlight hobby, I would take the Malkoff light I've described in this thread and simply add a high/low bezel switch. You would still have all the advantages of a dedicated fighting light with the ability to throttle it down for everyday tasks.

I might even make a few other changes to move it a it closer to a task light: use a drop-in that has more even illumination (better for normal use) and install a shrouded clicky tailcap so that it can tail stand and be activated constant-on with a single hand. You would lose some of the advantages of the dedicated fight light, but gain much for utilitarian purposes. In fact, this is exactly the light I use for those nightly dog walks;

The difference in this light is (1) the use of the M91B head (1,000 lumens/8,500 lux) with high/low switch and (2) Malkoff shrouded tailcap with clicky. The low setting of 30 lumens is extremely useful and gives extremely long runtimes, while the high setting is more than enough for any use (life threatening or not). It can be carried in a 6P holster and is large and sturdy enough to break through a windshield.

IMO, a setup like this is ideal for uniformed LEO light who only carries one light. And as a plug for Gene and Cathy Malkoff, their products are built to last (lifetime warranty), their CS is unmatched and they are huge supporters of the LEO community.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 11-13-2019 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    @Magsz nothing you posted on the listed requires a low setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    How does this jive with wanting to maintain one's adapted night vision?
    Out door use of a standard flashlight won't kill your night vision, only if you bleach a wall or object directly in front of you.

If your adapted night vision is that important to you, use real night vision devices to assist in those tactical operations which require this level of non-white light use.
    Let me begin with a question or two, to see if further engagement is worthwile...

Are you open to the possibility you could be wrong?

Why bring up NV and "tactical operations" in a thread about EDC lights? Is that helpful to the OP's question?
    Taking a break from social media.

Let me begin with a question or two, to see if further engagement is worthwile...

Why bring up NV and "tactical operations" in a thread about EDC lights? Is that helpful to the OP's question?
    I carried ten tap streamlights, multioption flashlights on and off duty for years. They did weird things in high stress situations. I can count on one hand how many times I used the low setting or the strobe setting effectively in the last decade+. So, been there done that.

As for the rest, the point made was specific to safety, if you're worried about safety use tools which will allow you to conduct yourself safely.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I carried ten tap streamlights, multioption flashlights on and off duty for years. They did weird things in high stress situations. I can count on one hand how many times I used the low setting or the strobe setting effectively in the last decade+. So, been there done that.

As for the rest, the point made was specific to safety, if you're worried about safety use tools which will allow you to conduct yourself safely.
    Does not answer my questions quoted below.

I appreciate your service and experience. You do understand your experience may not be applicable to all?

I appreciate your service and experience. You do understand your experience may not be applicable to all?
    If my experience isn't applicable, neither is yours, magsz or anyone else's in this thread.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

If my experience isn't applicable, neither is yours, magsz or anyone else's in this thread.

And there is the disconnect. I used "applicable to all" in my description of your views and opinions. Most other folks are simply sharing their experience in a friendly exchange of information. When you speak in absolutes it gives off the impression you are invalidating the experience and practices of others.

Still haven't addressed my questions regarding NV and "tactical operations"......since you were the first and only one to introduce those topics, I am interested to hear how they add to the discussion of EDC lights. Of course in your experience.

And there is the disconnect. I used "applicable to all" in my description of your views and opinions. Most other folks are simply sharing their experience in a friendly exchange of information. When you speak in absolutes it gives off the impression you are invalidating the experience and practices of others.

Still haven't addressed my questions regarding NV and "tactical operations"......since you were the first and only one to introduce those topics, I am interested to hear how they add to the discussion of EDC lights. Of course in your experience.
    Never once spoke in absolutes and never once stated anyone else's experience is invalidated, you did however.

Anyway, I've said my part, further conversation on this is fruitless.
    VDMSR.com

Man, you'd think we were debating which AR is the best.

As a civilian, the best I can (or want to) do is train for worst-case scenarios. Based on my nighttime training I have independently concluded that a single-mode light is the best choice for me. It's not at all surprising to me that some professionals also feel that way. I appreciate hearing from extreme users who get in fights for a living.

So can we please stop giving our SMEs a hard time for being experts? My needs are less extreme, so I don't expect I'll use all of their advice. But it's nice to hear it.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I may have missed it, but I don't think a single person who has posted in this thread qualifies as a SME.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-13-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List