Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Output EDC/Defensive/Utility Lights? I Dont Get It.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Some folks don't want a multifunction light to use for potential defensive applications. Having shot a couple of low/no light classes and CoFs I've come to the conclusion that if I'm planning to use a handheld light for defensive purposes it needs to remain at the high setting.
    There are plenty of lights that offer this without overly complicated switching mechanisms. These lights always remain on high until you deliberately switch them to another setting. I respect your needs and I agree with the fact that high output is essential but what happened in your classes where you weren't able to manipulate a light that had the OPTION of a low output?

Any specifics?

What type of real world application of an EDC and/or tactical type light would required a low beam setting?
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 11-11-2019 at 08:39 PM.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I gotcha, big guy; and I appreciate you telling us a bit about yourself. I'm fortunate to not have to fit my work gear onto a traditional duty belt and maintain a uniform appearance, though I have other restrictions; and I'd imagine you use your light a whole lot more broadly and often than I do.

For me, and my present workplace and old one, I'd rather split that function into two lights than have one light with two functions. While I was in the military, that meant a weaponlight on my rifle, a handheld, and a headlamp; and at my current place, a high-intensity handheld and a multi-mode micro handheld (Surefire Stiletto or Streamlight MicroStream USB). The high-intensity handheld is "always on high," and doesn't get run down from utilitarian usage; and the multi-mode stays topped off from rechargeing.

I like my high-intensity handhelds to be always on high, push-button, and with good throw; and I use\used them for searching, hunting, and to directly support shooting. Given the reactive nature of some of that, I'd really rather that they stay mono-focused on that. Though, the Surefire Stiletto and it's variant switching sort of splits the difference.

For what it's worth, I'm curious about the Modlight offering, but it's a bit bigger than I'd like, having smaller hands. As presented, one of their weapon lights with the railmount removed might be more up my alley.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    What type of real world application of an EDC and/or tactical type light would required a low beam setting?
    You're kidding right? Please tell me you're kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    You're kidding right? Please tell me you're kidding...
    Perfectly reasonable question.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    There are plenty of lights that offer this without overly complicated switching mechanisms. These lights always remain on high until you deliberately switch them to another setting. I respect your needs and I agree with the fact that high output is essential but what happened in your classes where you weren't able to manipulate a light that had the OPTION of a low output?

Any specifics?
    Light wasn’t at the output I needed or I’d fumble switching to get to where I wanted it. It’s really hard to maintain rational thought when pointing/aiming a loaded gun. Figuring out the settings on a light adds to that difficulty. Yeah. I can go out and buy another light that might fit all those needs in one, or I can stick with what I have and that I know works.

That’s the beauty of a free market. There are enough products available to suit us all rather than trying to force end users to use one sort of system.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

@runcible

I hope what I did there works...

I don't think you can remove the rail mount portion of the light so for now, you're stuck with that and probably will be in perpetuity as they seem pretty set on delineating products and their handheld is...well, their hand held body at this point.

In response to your above post I do very much prefer for patrol work to keep everything in one package. We can go all combat ninja about it and say that I do it for purposes of muscle memory as I want to go to the same place all the time for my light source but that's pretty dramatic if I may say so.

It's more for the sake of simplicity as I use my light so damned much that by the end of the night its come off my belt and back onto my belt what feels like a thousand or two times. I use my quiglight for taking notes when necessary and the handheld does everything else on a low setting until I need that high setting. Building clearing, depending on barriers and obstacles inside of the enclosed structure can also be conducted on low as the emitter on my light throws fairly well and gives me enough data. This is obviously dictated by ambient light, construction of the room etc. I have zero issues when it comes to going between modes but im also using a FirstLight handheld which has VERY intuitive and VERY well constructed switching modes. Prior to the FirstLight I used a Surefire Fury, Eagletac (model name escapes me), Streamlight HL and a myriad of other lights that don't really need to be mentioned.

Off duty I carry a Surefire ED2 or whatever the hell the name of that thing is.

Judging by what ive posted I would assume that you guys can see why I struggle to understand why a high output only has any role?

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Perfectly reasonable question.
    For a cop to ask another cop that question, it screams of trolling.

It is the internet so the tone is deaf but...yeah...
    Last edited by Magsz; 11-11-2019 at 08:52 PM.

For my situation, the Surefire EDCL2T works well. The gas pedal switch provides me exactly what I require. A light press gives 5 lumens, perfect for: reviewing paperwork in my dark car, finding a street address while walking, showing a client information, bouncing light off the ceiling to check on the kids, walking the dog and avoiding stepping in it's mess, looking for files in the trunk, finding firewood, and any number of other mundane things one might use a light for. If...if I need 1200 lumens I have it on tap in one package. I have used it several times to give pause to a aggressive dogs, it also works well to stop aggressive panhandlers, search for coyotes out to 100 yards and illuminate a parking garage. Batteries get changed every 20 days under my normal use. It does exactly what I need it to do.

Find what works for you. It may not apply to everyone's situation, and that is just fine. I use 5 lumens way more than 1200, but the times I have needed the higher output, I was glad it was available.

I don't live in a world where I feel my experience trumps all else. Be nice if other's learned that as well.
    Taking a break from social media.

There is one school of thought that a hand held is the primary illumination tool for defensive needs, and a WML serves as secondary role. There is plenty of discussion on that topic so I won't regurgitate any of it here.

If I can carry only one light and it needs to serve both defensive purposes and finding the keys I dropped between the console and seat, I can straddle those needs with something like the Malkoff high/low bezel switch. Leave the bezel tightened down and get all-the-lumens-all-the-time with a single press of the tailcap switch. Even with that, there's still a chance the light will come on low if I forget to lock the bezel back down after looking for those keys.

As a civilian I am in the camp of having a dedicated light for defensive use that is single mode, max output without fail when the light is activated. I have several carry lights dedicated to that purpose. Since I'm a flashlight nerd, I carry a second (usually smaller) light that is more of a general purpose, multi-output light. For defensive use, I will not use a multi-output light that is controlled by multiple presses of the tail switch or any programmable light. Having attended the Low Light Pistol Operator course at the Sig Academy, I witnessed first-hand how those lights can be a liability. For general use though, they are fine.

I think part of the disconnect here is that just because it's not attached to a weapon doesn't mean it can't be a light dedicated for defensive use.

User Tag List