Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Single Output EDC/Defensive/Utility Lights? I Dont Get It.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    The point of CC is to be a gray man so I have to shake my head at the use of “tactical” lights for every day tasks.
    . . .

Your phone has a light for basic tasks and homes have outlets for nightlights if you are that concerned with waking someone up.. Also, sneaking around a movie theater with a tactical light looks anything but normal. Some just take it way too far and miss the point.
    Every time I have ever pulled out a "tactical" light for everyday tasks, everyone around me was simply happy I had a light.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Every time I have ever pulled out a "tactical" light for everyday tasks, everyone around me was simply happy I had a light.

It was the same while I was in the Air Force(discharged in 1997). I carried a xenon bulbed AAA Mini-Maglight. When the light was needed people were happy to see it and a few times those people went and bought one to carry. 10-15 lumens of light is better than none.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    Light, language (foreign), ammo and money-a world of difference between a little and none at all...particularly when you need one or more of the previously listed items.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    This was actually my practice when I worked Patrol. Usually 3 lights....all small lights. That was one of their advantages...you could carry more. For what it's worth, @magz, I did carry a multi mode as one of my lights. It had a tail cap activation switch, and a separate up-front program switch. It was set on high (900 lumens) all the time, though I occasionally stepped it down for Administrative tasks. It was not the up-front draw-with-a-handgun light, which was single output momentary only switch. I was a firm believer in carrying multiple lights, having had the experience of searching the wooded areas of The Presidio Military Base at 2 am for shotgun armed robbery suspects....and having my one and only light die. A feeling of self hatred I didn't want to repeat.
    With respect to the thread title, what do you carry when not in a uniform? Everyday carry in street clothes?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    With respect to the thread title, what do you carry when not in a uniform? Everyday carry in street clothes?
    With respect to the word “defensive” in the title, the fact that the OP has stated he works in law enforcement, and the fact that a single output light with a momentary only switch is most effective for fighting use, I wonder why people have tried to move this thread to EDC only? Is it that the initial argument has failed so we must change it to win rather than to facilitate discussion? The OP stated a challenge in effect as to the utility of a single mode light. That utility has been explained by experienced and knowledgeable individuals. The thread has either moved on or has devolved to the point of everyone trying to feel they are right or that they’ve “won”, and I’m done wasting my time with it. There are better parts of PF.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    With respect to the word “defensive” in the title, the fact that the OP has stated he works in law enforcement, and the fact that a single output light with a momentary only switch is most effective for fighting use, I wonder why people have tried to move this thread to EDC only? Is it that the initial argument has failed so we must change it to win rather than to facilitate discussion? The OP stated a challenge in effect as to the utility of a single mode light. That utility has been explained by experienced and knowledgeable individuals. The thread has either moved on or has devolved to the point of everyone trying to feel they are right or that they’ve “won”, and I’m done wasting my time with it. There are better parts of PF.
    Just askin' him a question, dude. It seems to me like a person isn't wearing 3 lights in plain clothes, so I'm curious what he's doing when not in a uniform.

I didn't realize that any argument I've made as "failed", either.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-16-2019 at 09:59 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Not a Michelobe Ultra guy but I might have used my phone to read a menu once or twice. I snap a pic of it then expand it so I can see.
    OT, but, I have photos of the drink menus of a ton of local places saved in my phone. I can do a quick refresher look, then order like I’m their best regular ever when the wait staff show up.

- - -

I also carry two lights: the "look at/for stuff" light, and the "you can’t look at me" light. Lights are indeed (relatively) inexpensive, small, and easy to pocket about one’s person.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 11-17-2019 at 01:54 AM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

For a “defensive” or EDC light I carry a Streamlight ProTac-1L-1AA which will run on 123s or AA batteries. Sure, I wish it was a little brighter but it works. My experience with anything clipped to a pocket is it can catch on something and get lost pretty easily so I’d rather not drop $200 on a small flashlight. I have an LED Photon Freedom Micro squeeze light on my keychain that actually gets used a lot as my keys are generally clipped to my belt loop. My cell phone is also small utility light so I have that too.

The Modlite handheld is interesting. Ive been running a Surefire R1 Lawman for the last few years as a duty light but I’ve been looking for a smaller “jump out” light for my vest/belt. I generally run a smaller Streamllight on my vest as a backup but it’s really not bright enough to use as a primary patrol light. I’m probably gonna pick up one of the Modlites...
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 11-17-2019 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    What's the point of quoting someone and then not actually quoting that user so he would see your response?

It's becoming extremely obvious you aren't looking for knowledge, I don't know what you're looking for.
    Oi vey.

Relax, I barely know how to multi quote on the computer, let alone on my phone. Sorry that I suck at the internet.

I'm still looking for exactly what I posted about in my first post. Use case scenarios. You and I are probably never going to see eye to eye on anything here as we are on two different planets apparently. I think that we should probably disengage. I do however have two more questions as I'm curious if you're willing to discuss.

Voodoo, what is your relationship with Modlight?

Would you be willing to forward the offense report/police report (whatever your agency calls it) from that particular situation that you referenced a few posts back? Unless of course its an open investigation.

@SoCalDep

There's no real need to differentiate unless we WANT to. I carry in an EDC capacity and I carry at work. My use of light tactics don't change but my equipment does because I'm not wearing the same uniform off duty (thank god). I think that a discussion in both realms is applicable to the original "challenge" as you call it.

User Tag List