Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Output EDC/Defensive/Utility Lights? I Dont Get It.

I’m not an LE guy, and I don’t harbor too many fantasies about nighttime gunfights at the Walmart anymore. When I carry a light it’s under the “best camera” philosophy. Which, come to think of it, is the same philosophy I apply when I carry a gun.

I came into this thread thinking I’d agree with the OP about dual-mode lights, and my “edc” light is a dual mode (I think. Frankly I have so many of the little buggers floating around, I may well have an older, non-rechargeable, single-mode in my pocket from time to time). This one, I think, starts out on low and then goes to high. I have the other version of the same light, in tan, that I think starts out on high and then goes to low with some variation of clicking. I don’t carry that one.

All of that said, in the age of all the lumens (which I also think is pretty gay, in general), it’s also the age of pretty amazing amounts of light from pretty amazingly small packages. And while I’m. It a cop, if I were, I think I’d be inclined to separate my task light from my tactical light.

BTW, to whoever said “I don’t use my phone as a flashlight because I’m not a 16 year old girl”, that shit was funny as hell. Around here, in SE FL, the worse offenders are the geriatric crowd that want to go to some hip, young people, restaurant that’s poorly lit and then use their phone and reading glasses to try and scrutinize the menu, all the while swinging the goddamn thing around shining it in the eyes of everyone else in the place. Generally on,y to arrive at asking the waiter for a Michelobe Ultra anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    ...the geriatric crowd that want to go to some hip, young people, restaurant that’s poorly lit and then use their phone and reading glasses to try and scrutinize the menu, all the while swinging the goddamn thing around shining it in the eyes of everyone else in the place. Generally on,y to arrive at asking the waiter for a Michelobe Ultra anyway.
    Dammit Rob it was a Yuengling.

On topic: This thread made me go look for a small flashlight with a "moonlight" feature - i.e. a setting of approximately 1 Lumen. Any thoughts on one of those?

I found this one on a web search and was going to order one to check it out, unless there is a better option?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5Y9S011X&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    There are options on the market that will come on maximum power when you hit the button. You don't have to cycle to get the "oh shit" setting.
    Fair enough. Are there options that have more than one switch, such as a selector that lets me choose a light level, and then a button on that turns the light on?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    .....further conversation on this is fruitless.
    Further conversation listed below.....

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

I do use a 4 inch blade for nearly everything...

I don't need multiple modes, multiple purpose, multiple whatevers from a flashlight. I need a single option light that does a lot of things okay and one very important thing well - threat ID / blinding bad guys.

...I can and have effectively done with a single output light.

...the more you use a light in the world the more you learn them.

As I stated numerous times already..
    Still coming up with an answer?

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Let me begin with a question or two, to see if further engagement is worthwile...

Are you open to the possibility you could be wrong?

Why bring up NV and "tactical operations" in a thread about EDC lights? Is that helpful to the OP's question?
    Taking a break from social media.

Single Output EDC/Defensive/Utility Lights? I Dont Get It.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Fair enough. Are there options that have more than one switch, such as a selector that lets me choose a light level, and then a button on that turns the light on?
    Yes, there are many out there. I use a Fenix for those options you listed for a specific purpose.
    Last edited by bravo7; 11-14-2019 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    On topic: This thread made me go look for a small flashlight with a "moonlight" feature - i.e. a setting of approximately 1 Lumen. Any thoughts on one of those?

I found this one on a web search and was going to order one to check it out, unless there is a better option?

I swear I used to see a lot of cops with something like this in their pocket, next to their other pens, for use *with* their pens. I also seem to recollect that my seeing them with this light was when they had me pulled over for one suspected traffic infraction or another...

Streamlight 65018 Stylus 3-AAAA LED Pen Light, Black with White Light 6-1/4-Inch - 11 Lumens

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Dammit Rob it was a Yuengling.

The Thrunite ti4 is a good looking option with
    Firefly(0.3 lumens, 137hours), Low (24 lumens, 12hours), High (252 lumens, 51minutes), Strobe (252 lumens, 90 minutes)

Another is Nitecore MT06MD. Output / Runtimes:- High: 180 Lumens / 45 min - Mid: 45 Lumens / 5 hr 15 min - Low: 4 Lumens / 35 hr
    Last edited by Mirolynmonbro; 11-14-2019 at 09:59 AM.

I'm late to this thread, but here's my take (from a plain clothes LEO point of view):

I have a single output handheld (surefire 6P with Malkoff M61) on my SWAT vest. It's a backup to my weapon mounted lights and allows me to do secondary clears without pointing weapons everywhere. I don't really need or want a dual output light for this purpose, and I change the batteries before any planned operation, so I don't really need to worry about battery life either.

For everything else, I prefer a smaller, multi output light like the Streamlight Protac 2L or the Surefire EDCL-1T for all the reasons stated so far in the thread.

I like flashlights, but I don't go out and upgrade what I'm using every time a company comes out with a 100 lumen upgrade.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I'm not quite at the level of preparedness for the movies to carry two or more lights in my pocket so I like having a low option for things that don't involve blinding people. However, I want that low option to require a deliberate movement separate from the blind people option. The Surefire gas pedal is a nice compromise for me. I think it's a poor choice for most two-handed flashlight techniques (syringe, etc.) but I've never really been able to make those work for me so it's not a problem for me.

But that's just like, my opinion man.
    Same. You said it more eloquently than I could've.

I'm totally in the dark here.

I have no weapons lights. My utility lights have different modes, most of which I never use.

But I'm not normal.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List