Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Output EDC/Defensive/Utility Lights? I Dont Get It.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    How much are you into that light? I really like it. It is hitting all of my flashlight nerd buttons.
    My guess is I have around $175 into it.

From the Malkoff website;

MD3 body with switch - $63.99. If you email them you can get a link to the body without the tailcap (around $45.00 sans the switch).

M91B head - $95.99

Of course 15% or 20% off Malkoff coupons can be had by posting a review.

You'll have to watch ebay and/or use your Google Fu to track down the Surefire tailcap. Figure $20 to $40.

The Raven Concealment clip is $14.99.

If you use the SF tailcap you MUST use IMR 18500 flat top cells - protected cells are too long for use with the shorter SF tailcap. Three CR123A batteries still fit, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    The only compelling argument anyone has offered is that a poorly designed switching mechanism can result in a light outputting on its low setting when it SHOULD be on high. The key phrase being a poorly designed switching mechanism. So...don't buy a light with a poorly designed switching mechanism.
    Anything mechanical or electronic can fail. We risk that with any device, however.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    For a pure tactical light, I still like my old Surefire E2e or 6z (both enhanced with Malkoff head or lamp respectively). Button on-off or twist for fully on. No muss no fuss. No clickies.

I also like the compromise offered by the Malkoff Bodyguard lights which switch on high automatically and after 10 seconds revert to a 200+ lumen range.

There is no perfect light for all circumstances. Pick the one or ones that work best for you in the circumstances you anticipate facing.
    I usually only carry the bodyguard. It's a great light. When I need a super low setting I just cover it with my hand. The lense gets hot but after it steps down to 200 it's tolerable. I wish I got the longer 18650 version. I think it would carry easier on my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    I usually only carry the bodyguard. It's a great light. When I need a super low setting I just cover it with my hand. The lense gets hot but after it steps down to 200 it's tolerable. I wish I got the longer 18650 version. I think it would carry easier on my pocket.
    I have both, and thus far have found times when one or the other may be more convenient.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Of course I could but why? Simplicity? Reference my earlier post regarding training and proper equipment selection.

I'm all about output, lumens, candela etc but this whole #allthelumens movement should not be an absolute.

Proper technique helps preserve adapted night vision so im not part of THAT camp but once again, while I COULD blast the room, area etc, I choose NOT to because I dont HAVE to.

My KTM motorcycle has riding modes. In rain mode it downgrades the power from 180 horses to something like 100 and increases the traction control setting. Do I need to switch modes? No but I can, so I do when its pissing on me and I want a higher degree of safety. Its not a direct comparison but once again, options that do not have any compelling negatives are always good in my mind.

The only compelling argument anyone has offered is that a poorly designed switching mechanism can result in a light outputting on its low setting when it SHOULD be on high. The key phrase being a poorly designed switching mechanism. So...don't buy a light with a poorly designed switching mechanism.
    I'm not in the any absolute camp, my point of contention has been that the need for a "low" power option on a tactical / EDC light is very low, possibly none-existent, and the circumstances where a low power may be needed there are other options which are more applicable. I use my phone light for around the house stuff in the middle of the night, those things do not necessitate the use of a specific low power mode or light.

Everything can be done with a full power light, especially for LE work.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I'm not in the any absolute camp, my point of contention has been that the need for a "low" power option on a tactical / EDC light is very low, possibly none-existent, and the circumstances where a low power may be needed there are other options which are more applicable. I use my phone light for around the house stuff in the middle of the night, those things do not necessitate the use of a specific low power mode or light.

Everything can be done with a full power light, especially for LE work.
    You just said you're not in an absolute camp but you also said that EVERYTHING you're talking about can be done with a full power light.

It can ALSO be done with a low power setting.

I also strongly disagree with your statement that a full power light can accomplish all LE tasks. I cant see VIN number plates with 1500 lumens blasting against it. The same can be said for washout on mailboxes where the paint is either fading or someone happened to paint the numerical letters white against a white background. There are a million scenarios where too much light is just that, too much.

What light do you use for work?

The intent behind this thread was not to make this a versus topic. I was asking for people to post about their experiences so that perhaps I could have my own knowledge base expanded as I don't get the interest in a single output beyond the new cool hotness and the #lumenwars . I can see how this topic sort of drifted into a versus thread as people are brand loyal, others are invested and others are just shills. Its the way of the internet, no biggie.

To answer your question, since it seems like it was fairly asked:

EDC:

Picking up dog shit
    My wife and I keep different schedules so when I get home and its dark and she is asleep, I don't like to blast the room with light as I navigate around.
    Finding the front key hole on the door of my house when my wife forgets to leave the outside lights on.
    I drop shit in the dark at my feet and need to pick it up.
    Movie theatres when im feeling all ninja like.

Work:

Reading VIN #'s on crash scenes
    Looking at address's on mail boxes, houses etc without telegraphing my position by activating the sun.
    Illuminating paperwork while victims/witnesses etc fill it out.
    Illuminating blood/bodily fluids etc. 1500 lumens washes these things out.
    Looking for shit in my car when it eats objects...its a black hole.
    Identifying pretty much whatever it is I want to see in the dark without washing out what im trying to look at closely.
    Building searches when a low setting is sufficient in providing me whatever data I may need to collect in the room. A high setting is not always necessary or wanted when say you're looking for a missing person and there is no immediate threat. I would never use my weapon mounted light in this setting which goes back to my earlier post about the clear difference between the two.

I can go on if you feel like you need more examples.
    All of this and more. Searching a car for anything with more than a few hundred lumens is bullshit if you wanna then drive away safely.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

You just said you're not in an absolute camp but you also said that EVERYTHING you're talking about can be done with a full power light.

It can ALSO be done with a low power setting.

I also strongly disagree with your statement that a full power light can accomplish all LE tasks. I cant see VIN number plates with 1500 lumens blasting against it. The same can be said for washout on mailboxes where the paint is either fading or someone happened to paint the numerical letters white against a white background. There are a million scenarios where too much light is just that, too much.

What light do you use for work?
    Funny, I can do all those things and have zero issue using a full power light?

I'm using a streamlight led hl ds, it's very bright.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Funny, I can do all those things and have zero issue using a full power light?

I'm using a streamlight led hl ds, it's very bright.
    What's your point? Do you and I share eyes, brain, body type? Are all lighting conditions the same? The answer is no.

Just because YOU can, doesn't mean everyone should or can or will.

I'm still waiting on a compelling argument beyond training issues and poor light design.

My biggest issue with a high single output light is the runtime and the heat. For example the modlight has a 35min runtime. I haven't read anything about the heat but if it's anything like my Malkoff I'm sure it gets hot quick.

User Tag List