Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Output EDC/Defensive/Utility Lights? I Dont Get It.

To me, if you're doing anything that requires a gun in your hand, a single output light is best as it is being used as a weapon light. If you properly use it AS a weapon light, for doing weapon things, you won't blind yourself or need a dim setting.

If you're trying to rummage through a trunk, read papers, not step in dogshit, 1K lumens could be more troublesome than 15.

I

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    My biggest issue with a high single output light is the runtime and the heat. For example the modlight has a 35min runtime. I haven't read anything about the heat but if it's anything like my Malkoff I'm sure it gets hot quick.
    Since I didn't see anyone else answer it...when I first got my OKW i left it on with a new 18350. It ran about 40 minutes before flashing, indicating that it was dieing. It never got hot in the least bit. Modlites thermal management seems to be very well done.

For what its worth, I've got a Malkoff Superhoundog that I use when performing a more traditional patrol/security (off duty) function. It allows me to turn the bezel slightly and reduce the output from 1100 lumens to 60. A quick turn and it's back to full power. It works pretty well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    For what its worth, I've got a Malkoff Superhoundog that I use when performing a more traditional patrol/security (off duty) function. It allows me to turn the bezel slightly and reduce the output from 1100 lumens to 60. A quick turn and it's back to full power. It works pretty well for me.
    I like that Malkoff feature as well, but I've had the bezel turn to low by itself in my pocket. It seems like it wouldn't take much impact or grappling to make it go on low. I don't like that.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I like that Malkoff feature as well, but I've had the bezel turn to low by itself in my pocket. It seems like it wouldn't take much impact or grappling to make it go on low. I don't like that.
    A combination of yellow Teflon tape (they heavy kind used for gas piping, one lap) with a coating of SuperLube grease applied to the body threads works wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    So.

Watching trends on the Instagram is hilarious. New product gets released, people gush about it with pretty photos and a sentence or two about how awesome it is but rarely does anyone explain WHY its awesome.

Enter Modlight and their soon to be released handhelds featuring their OKW and PLH (I dunno if they're offering both heads) heads.

I literally CANNOT wrap my head around a single output handheld light.
    I question the "new trends" is the single output light. The multi-function, multi-output lights are the new trends to my understanding.

I'm not LE and don't own anything over 200 lumens, so that may make a difference, but all my lights are single output. I won't own a multi-output light since I don't want to tap dance my way through a switch to get the light I expect when I push the button. I have multiple lights with different outputs and select the appropriate light for the task.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    You can think it's disingenuous, that's fine, it's your opinion.

I do use a 4 inch blade for nearly everything, it's called the northman blade.

I don't need multiple modes, multiple purpose, multiple whatevers from a flashlight. I need a single option light that does a lot of things okay and one very important thing well - threat ID / blinding bad guys.

All the circumstances you mentioned that you may believe requires low beams, wide beams, whatever other options, I can and have effectively done with a single output light.

There are numerous methods of restraining light flow from a flashlight, the more you use a light in the world the more you learn them.

As I stated numerous times already, low power setting on a light is, in my opinion, mainly because of the long run times the companies can market.

We have our preferences of course, but it’s not an opinion that 1,000 lumens will affect night vision more than 20 lumens. The reason I called it disingenuous is because I don’t think anybody, including you, believes it.

I understand, and fully agree with the idea that a tactical light needs to do one thing really well. I usually carry two lights, but when I only grab one, it’s the Surefire.

But you’re speaking strongly from an LE prospective, which is fine, but (following the knife analogy), it’s like you’re arguing with outdoorsman that your Northman blade is effective as their fillet knives at dressing fish, or as effective at woodworking as their survival knives. Sure it can be done, and even done well, but it’s not the same thing as using a tool that’s meant for the job. Can you fillet a 15 pound trout with your Northman? Sure. I wouldn’t want to fillet a 50 pound halibut with it. Could you whittle some kindling with it? Sure, but you wouldn’t want to cut branches with it. The point is, knives and flashlights are tools, and the requirement of one application can limit the usefulness of a tool for another application. You can “restrain the flow from a flashlight,” but that also translates as “there are better tools for this job.”
    Last edited by Jeff S.; 11-13-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Here’s a pic of a bunch of my lights. I also have a bunch of knives and guns, but find that I carry one much more than all the others. Sometimes I’ll pocket a compact multimode light like the Nitecore or the Klarus when I really need that. The Klarus XT2C is a nice compromise because it always comes on high.

But the Malkoff BG2 has been my EDC for as long as I’ve owned it. I guess it's kind of a 2-mode light because after 10s of 1100 lumens, it kicks down to maybe half that.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-13-2019 at 09:25 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I'm not quite at the level of preparedness for the movies to carry two or more lights in my pocket so I like having a low option for things that don't involve blinding people. However, I want that low option to require a deliberate movement separate from the blind people option. The Surefire gas pedal is a nice compromise for me. I think it's a poor choice for most two-handed flashlight techniques (syringe, etc.) but I've never really been able to make those work for me so it's not a problem for me.

But that's just like, my opinion man.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I won't own a multi-output light since I don't want to tap dance my way through a switch to get the light I expect when I push the button.
    There are options on the market that will come on maximum power when you hit the button. You don't have to cycle to get the "oh shit" setting.

Your statement is akin to someone saying, "I wont own a semi-automatic pistol because I don't want to have to swipe off a safety", which is a flawed approach since there are semi-autos without manual safeties.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff S. View Post
    We have our preferences of course, but it’s not an opinion that 1,000 lumens will affect night vision more than 20 lumens. The reason I called it disingenuous is because I don’t think anybody, including you, believes it.

I understand, and fully agree with the idea that a tactical light needs to do one thing really well. I usually carry two lights, but when I only grab one, it’s the Surefire.

But you’re speaking strongly from an LE prospective, which is fine, but (following the knife analogy), it’s like you’re arguing with outdoorsman that your Northman blade is effective as their fillet knives at dressing fish, or as effective at woodworking as their survival knives. Sure it can be done, and even done well, but it’s not the same thing as using a tool that’s meant for the job. Can you fillet a 15 pound trout with your Northman? Sure. I wouldn’t want to fillet a 50 pound halibut with it. Could you whittle some kindling with it? Sure, but you wouldn’t want to cut branches with it. The point is, knives and flashlights are tools, and the requirement of one application can limit the usefulness of a tool for another application. You can “restrain the flow from a flashlight,” but that also translates as “there are better tools for this job.”
    I've never said that light does not effect night vision, reread what my statements were on this topic.

Your additional knife analogy is flawed, as there are "filet kits" and anyone who has ever filleted a fish knows that you need a very specific knife to do that type of work, sure a regular knife will do, but a one purpose built blade does it the right way with the least amount of room for error. So you proved my point in time in effect, one tool which does one thing really really well with not that many options to do other things.

Restricting flow of a light isn't indicative of needing another tool, of course there may be better 7lumen output lights for reading a VIN, but they can't blind a dude whose not showing his hands and they can't help me clear a dark room in a seconds blast into it. The opposite is completely true however.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List