Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Relatives with undisciplined dogs

Relatives with undisciplined dogs

What a pain to deal with. BIL (brother in law) has a dog that nips at kids, chases cats, and barks non stop if left outside. Also, my well behaved and well disciplined German Shepherd is gonna have a huge problem with the BIL’s dog bothering cats and not behaving around kids.

I just don’t understand people that can’t raise a dog properly.
    #RESIST

I feel your pain.

It seems good dogs are few and far between, and the subject usually gets pretty touchy with people defending their useless mutt’s ill behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What a pain to deal with. BIL (brother in law) has a dog that nips at kids, chases cats, and barks non stop if left outside. Also, my well behaved and well disciplined German Shepherd is gonna have a huge problem with the BIL’s dog bothering cats and not behaving around kids.

I just don’t understand people that can’t raise a dog properly.
    I've trained a few bird dogs.

It helps if you're smarter than the dog. If not, get help.

Or maybe your BIL just doesn't give a shit.

Your GS will probably take care of it. Maybe your BIL will see the light. Here's hoping.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-11-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Life is too short for undisciplined dogs. While most dogs are trainable, alas some are not.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I've trained a few bird dogs.

It helps if you're smarter than the dog. If not, get help.

Or maybe your BIL just doesn't give a shit.

Your GS will probably take care of it. Maybe your BIL will see the light. Here's hoping.
    This is a smart guy (infectious diseases doctor), but I don’t think he knows a damn thing about dogs. The SIL is busy divorcing him.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Be aware that you(LL)might have a hefty vet bill if the protective dog takes a hunk out of the other guy's dog. Explaining that the shepherd has been socialized to become a family member and that he is paid(affection, shelter, and food)to monitor and protect might show the in-law the big picture. Too, somebody should tell the man that nipping is a warning for something worse to follow. As an obsessive and compulsive person about child safety, I would tell this man that I am afraid for my children and state further that we can't predict animals. Truth is you can predict yours. The relative can't predict his. Now for something that you may not have thought of. Your pup knows that the other dog owns owns your in-law. If his dog bites your child, then your shepherd will first kill his dog and then tear him a new ass. You will get a big screwing on your home owners insurance, the local government might take possession of your dog, and you very easily could be out $1000's of dollars. Another point. The shepherd knows that you don't like the other dog and also has picked up on your unstated opinion of the other man. That ,sir, is your pup's clue to kill the dog and jump on the man. I am a zoologist by training with 90 semester hours in the field. Despite being an old burned out school teacher, that is my opinion.

Site Supporter
    My dog has taught me that I don't know a damned thing about dogs either. She's good with the kids though.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This is a smart guy (infectious diseases doctor), but I don’t think he knows a damn thing about dogs. The SIL is busy divorcing him.
    In that case he should have got himself some training along with the dog. Certainly he understands training.

I welcome all dogs at my house but they have to behave. If there's a problem I demand that they be kenneled (I have the kennels) until the owner can get the dog under control or take the dog elsewhere. No exceptions. It's not personal, just a house rule.

I don't know a lot about German Shepherds but I've lately come to admire the breed. My neighbor kept a well trained GS for about 6 months. We became great pals and she came down to see me everyday. We took walks together on our property and she obayed commands well. Very protective of her interim family and extremely intelligent. Unfortunately she had to go home a few weeks ago.

I'm used to hard headed bird dogs and some of them are a challenge to train. I think that has to do with the fact they aren't really breed to be family dogs, just hunters. Hard lessons sometimes.

I wouldn't have any preconceived notions about dogs because sometimes they will adapt to the situation. The owners are usually the biggest problems.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Well, my dog is doped up, so she will behave while you’re here.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Site Supporter
    A smart well trained dog is a joy to own. It takes a lot of time, love and discipline to raise and train a dog. They really are like children. Everybody knows somebody with spoiled bratty kids; the same goes with dogs. I really hate when somebody has a large untrained hard dog. It’s a recipe for disaster. Even untrained friendly dogs can hurt people. I had an ambulance call with a friendly lab that got loose and knocked an elderly lady over and she broke her hip. She was simply walking down the sidewalk and the lab jumped up to be petted. I always recommend the John wolters dog training books.

User Tag List