Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Winter Boots

Quote Originally Posted by Crash41984 View Post
    We are supposed to get 8-10" here today, already have 6". At the risk of sounding like a musical, I have a pair of Ugg Butte boots that have been my goto snow boots for the last 5 years. They were expensive ($250ish?), but they are going on their 6th winter and show no signs of needing replacement. If I can't wear those, Muck Arctic Pros and Merino Wool socks. Although not very urban.

I've worked with quite a few Pipeliners in Montana, Wyoming & N Dakota who absolutely swear by the Arctic Mucks. They love those things.

And a smaller sample size who really like the White's Elk Guide Pacs.
    Last edited by JTMcC; 11-11-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Interesting information about soles and materials that enhance hold down for better footing. https://youtu.be/H7arcyry6Xc

Site Supporter
    So, I bought:

REDHEAD MENS TRACKER 8" LTHR GTX
    Item: 819694 | SIZE: 10 1 2 | WIDTH: WIDE | COLOR: TRUE TIMBER HT

Versatile hunting boots with a focus on comfort
    Tough and rugged leather uppers
    GORE-TEX waterproof-membrane technology
    400-gram 3M Thinsulate Ultra Insulation
    Patented RedHead rubber lug outsoles

They came in wide, needed for me and were on sale ($89 from $149).
    They seem to fit well and the price was right. Are they optimal? I will see as the blizzards pile it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    So, I bought:

REDHEAD MENS TRACKER 8" LTHR GTX
    Item: 819694 | SIZE: 10 1 2 | WIDTH: WIDE | COLOR: TRUE TIMBER HT

Versatile hunting boots with a focus on comfort
    Tough and rugged leather uppers
    GORE-TEX waterproof-membrane technology
    400-gram 3M Thinsulate Ultra Insulation
    Patented RedHead rubber lug outsoles

They came in wide, needed for me and were on sale ($89 from $149).
    They seem to fit well and the price was right. Are they optimal? I will see as the blizzards pile it on.
    Can you say "Lake Effect Snow"

Site Supporter
    Lived in it before for years, now I'm back. Just bought a more significant winter coat for down to -40, and Duluth lined pants. Snow tires on the Forester. Funny, Tamara just had an article on winter carry and suggested her SW432PD in an outer pocket. That will work for me, with mine.

I like L.L. Bean boots. They're offered in wide sizes.

Site Supporter
    I had problems with LLBeans falling apart spontaneous with just the passage of a few years. A pair of insulated chukka types had the soles fall off. They weren't worn that much. Just sitting around in the house. Then a pair of light weight hikers. I was going to a class - and walking to the line and the soles fell off both. They were about 5 years old and worn maybe three or four times a year. Luckily, I packed a pair of low Danners and got them out of the car (didn't leave them in the hotel).

Lesson, check soles. Have extras with you. Don't buy LLBean boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I had problems with LLBeans falling apart spontaneous with just the passage of a few years. A pair of insulated chukka types had the soles fall off. They weren't worn that much. Just sitting around in the house. Then a pair of light weight hikers. I was going to a class - and walking to the line and the soles fell off both. They were about 5 years old and worn maybe three or four times a year. Luckily, I packed a pair of low Danners and got them out of the car (didn't leave them in the hotel). Lesson, check soles. Have extras with you. Don't buy LLBean boots.
    I have experienced this on some shoes from other brands. I have a theory that stored-much, used-little shoes with glued soles experience a drying/rot/breakdown of the glue if left to sit. Shoes that are worn more regularly have that glue worked/flexed so that it doesn't dry and fail. Or they simply wear out before the glue dies.
    Last edited by ST911; 11-23-2019 at 07:30 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Same thing happened with a pair of New Balance sneakers. Kept them in the closet till another pair wore out. Took out these new ones that promptly fell apart.

Well then, I have a pair of 8" all leather Goretex Danners I bought in 1985 that are still going strong. Just some saddle soap and neutral Kiwi wax every now and then and they just keep truckin' along. Also have a pair of 10" all leather black Goretex Danners I bought in 1994, when I was an M1A1 tank commander in the Washington Army National Guard, that are still in great shape too. But I wear L.L. Bean duck shoes around the yard in the late fall and winter.

User Tag List