Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Boots

Just noticed you are in Texas. In even the coldest temps you get, I wear a light gortex hiker and just upgrade my socks to Merino wool. I'm a big fan of Scarpa boots and shoes for my non-winter (Alaskan standards) use. The Kailash GTX's are available in wides and I've been wearing them all fall running heavy equipment and driving heavy trucks. I am surprised they are holding up so well and bought a second pair for my "town" boots.

Scarpa and La Sportiva are the best of the best for mountaineering boots. Sportiva's tend to be built on a narrow last, but if you find a pair that fit your foot...

To the OP, being in Texas, I would guess waterproofing might be priority over maximum insulation.

Another consideration.Breakin period. The advantage of a boot like the Keens is, as stated, is that they are comfortable right out of the box.
    Full leather can be crippling if you need to put miles on them on day one.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I have wide feet as well, a 4E or 5E depending on the last. I agree with Keen being an excellent option. If you want something a bit less hiking boot, I have some "Rustic Asphalt" boots that are lined with a synthetic wool type material and have done me right. I don't think they make my exact style any longer, but here's the current iteration: https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/ru...ctiveColor=213
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

The Keen Targhee EXP mid is a great winter everyday hiker for me, both urban and woods. Sock to the temp you need. I've worn these beyond what Keen had in mind with some heavy Darn Toughs, gaiters, and cleats. They will certainly do well in a Texas "winter." Link: https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-TAR...=1017714&cgid=

I'm trying the new Targhee High Lace right now, so far so good. 200 grams of thinsulate and verified waterproof. They are a little warmer than I like even with lightest socks unless I'm staying outside. They are GTG in the teens and will work much colder. Link: https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-TAR...T-HIGH-WP.html

Friends in wide sizes verify fit with the standard sizes, as Keens tend to run a little generous.
    Last edited by ST911; 11-10-2019 at 11:32 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the choices. FYI, no longer in Texas. For family reasons, back to an old home town in Erie county, NY. Thus, I want some for real winter boots. I have a pair buried in some movers box but could use new ones.

Asolos are top notch if you can get them in a wide ( I wear a medium). Waterproof and quite capable for typical winter outdoors type stuff. Ever since Vasque left Italy and moved production to China, I switched to Asolos, and have found them to be excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Thanks for the choices. FYI, no longer in Texas. For family reasons, back to an old home town in Erie county, NY. Thus, I want some for real winter boots. I have a pair buried in some movers box but could use new ones.
    Sounds like you need a pair of Sorel snow boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    In that case, I stand by my first recommendation for most days and have a pair of Sorrels or Baffins in the closet when you get DUMPED on with snow.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Anybody try Oboz? Guy at the boot shop I frequent used to talk them up pretty good.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Everybody's feet are different of course but my LONG journey to (real) wide, and real comfort ended when I started buying Danners.
    I use several different types and all have been spectacular, for me.
    I only buy the American made models.

User Tag List