Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Boots

Site Supporter

Winter Boots

The last thread was a couple of years old. I need a pair of winter boots, urban and light rural - but they must be wide. Casual searching, just brings up mainly Mediums. Any hints on recent purchases, searches.

Thanks.

Man, I just went through this and finally got an accurate foot measurement and realized I’m a wide fitting, instead of medium. Which severely limits options. None of the traditional “winter” boots come in wide sizes.

I recommend a gortex hiking boot, that has as much of a 1-piece upper as possible (to prevent moisture ingress) and is resoleable.

So I just bought (as in a few days ago) a pair of Zamberlans. Zamberlan and Lowa are the only ones I can find in those criteria. They ain’t cheap, the Zamberlans were $325, but they fit well and the should now outlast the Asolos they are replacing (which could not be resoled).

Winter Boots

I can recommend the Keen Summit County after only a few months of wearing. The boot it good for wide feet and the waterproofing is outstanding. The insulation is 450g around the wide toe box and 300g in the rest of the boot (if I remember correctly). I used them hunting in pretty deep snow with gaiters and some pretty cold temps 20s to -9. Feet were comfortable while walking. I have wide feet and was surprised how well these fit.

They’re under $200.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-SUMMIT-COUNTY.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Risto; 11-10-2019 at 02:27 PM.

I bought a pair of Bogs last year, and so far I've been pleasantly surprised how warm and waterproof they are.

I'm actively shopping for the same -my Cabelas Snow Runners are notably less insulating after 5 winters- and put on a pair of Oboz boots at one of the local places. I tried their wide variation on the Mens Bridger 8" boot and was surprised at just how much difference was there between the wide and regular versions. They're running about $185-190, but sales are starting this week. I also tested the same Keens posted above, and though the claimed insulation level seemed optimistic (it can and does hit -35 F here) the footbed was joyously comfortable.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Banned
    I say this every time this type of discussion comes up but for field use I really don't think you can beat the Bellevilles for the price.

My job keeps me outside, in the snow for most if not all of my shift. I have never had a problem wearing Belleville's.

The last pair I bought was new, with tags on them, in a surplus store and I paid $20.

I’ll recommend Lowa and add Garmont, for wide feet and as quality manufacturers.

I usually just read, but since the Keen model is the “Summit County”I can resist a comment. As a 23 year resident of Summit County, Colorado and a outdoor store employee, buyer and manager; I will say yes, Keen shoes have a have a wide foot box, and will fall apart after 2 years of use. The propriety water proof membrane works but does not breath. If you think of them as a disposable they are fine.

In my experience, any glue together cloth and leather hybrid is a disposable, Lowa and Garmont are better, (both make real mountain full leather boots as well)but if you want to buy and cry once, and are not looking for a mountaineering boot, buy American, buy Chippewa Boots. They come in widths, insulated and uninsulated. And resoleable. They are boots for a decade of hard use.

Site Supporter
    Big fan of Danner Gritstone insulated boots. 400g insulation, composite toe available, rebuildable, full leather, water proof, Vibram sole. It's treated me quite well.

Well it depends what temps you plan to be using them in, but if your in Texas any hiking type boot will work and be good.

With that being said, the Salomon quest 4d GTX is always a solid option. Toe box is nice and roomy and a great boot like many have discovered.

I'm not sure what level of insulation you need, but Irish Setter Elk Tracker 1000gram thinsulate boots are my go-to winter boot now. Once it's too cold for them it's into my military bunny boots. Kept clean and oiled, they look good, come in wide widths and they are able to be resoled.

User Tag List