Thread: 350 Legend as a PCC application?

Site Supporter

350 Legend as a PCC application?

I built a 350 Legend upper as I have an invitation to hunt deer in Ohio and they have "straight wall only" type requirements. Shot the upper to zero scope. Low recoil - better than 9mm AR upper. Got ready to reload the 350 legend brass with 147 grain 9mm bullets for practice loads (350 Legend is 355/356 not 357) so it will be "pistol range steel" friendly. Had a thought - could this be a viable PCC round for AR platform? 1) Uses gas not recoil operated. 2) Can use common 9mm pistol projectiles. 3) Uses standard AR platform - uses 223 bolt, upper, lower, etc. - difference is barrel and magazine. 4) Assuming high cap mags become available (currently 5 and 10 round available). 5) I can see playing with adjustable gas, different buffers, light weight BCG = very low recoil.

450 Legend is in many ways 9mm "Very Long". Will be interesting to see.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It'll never have the ammo cost (time or money) advantage of an actual 9mm carbine.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

When you say "...could this be a viable PCC round for AR platform?" I assume that you're talking about USPSA or IDPA. (Maybe that isn't what you meant, but that's what I assumed.)

In any event, USPA's PCC rules and IDPA's PCC rules are very specific, and very inflexible.

It strikes me as a good candidate for a "do everything" cartridge for those of us in heavily wooded areas. From hunting, to varmints, to self-defense, it seems like a good solution. If by "PCC" you are being literal (not a gamer) about the term, sure the .350 Legend is similar to the JDJ series. It's similar to the .357 Maximum. I think of it as a .357Auto Max. Or a modern .351 Winchester SL.(ETA: that last comparision would actually be an argument for considering it a rifle cartridge. And it is SO a spiritual successor to that round.)

But I think outside straightwall-configuration legal issues, I think most folks will end up comparing this to the .300 Blackout in the AR.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 11-10-2019 at 04:36 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Yes, posters are correct brass will be much harder to get than 9mm and it does not fit the rules for competition.

Is it straight walled enough that you don't need lube to resize with carbide dies? That sure simplifies things if you can skip the lube step.

I ask because some cartridges (e.g. 45/70) meet the 'straight walled' legal definition but still need lube for resizing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    Is it straight walled enough that you don't need lube to resize with carbide dies? That sure simplifies things if you can skip the lube step.

I ask because some cartridges (e.g. 45/70) meet the 'straight walled' legal definition but still need lube for resizing.
    I just started reloading 350 Legend today - I lubed and resized. I do not have carbide dies for 350 Legend.

User Tag List