Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why don't more manufacturers produce turnkey SBR factory rifles?

Why don't more manufacturers produce turnkey SBR factory rifles?

First I'm posting this here so the current industry guys who read & post here might see it and take up the cause.

This idea has been with me since I SBRed my 1978 10/22 just before Ruger started making .22 cans and then integrally suppressed barrels for the Takedown 10/22s and Chargers.

If folks are willing to buy and wait for stamps for those, why not factory made NFA firearms?

I've fired thousands and thousands of rounds hunting, plinking & killing varmints in the last 41 years w my 10/22 but wish I'd thought of SBRing it before Reagan was elected!

It's much handier as a truck gun now and makes for a very wieldy HD weapon for the recoil shy and already deaf enough.

Class 3 purchases are much less intimidating and costly than they used to be, too.

Producing threaded factory-made SBRs in all rimfire and pistol-caliber carbines in all action types would add a sales niche in this great economy!

I'd love to be able to go down the road to The Outpost Armory and start the clock running on my stamp for a 10- or 12-in. Marlin 1894 in .357/.38 right now.

What do y'all think?
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 11-09-2019 at 08:47 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

There are quite a few factory SBR's out there, just not any that I know of in .22LR. The market for a factory SBR Ruger 10/22 is very small.

Combine that with the fact efile Form 1's are coming back in as little as a few days up to 60 days worst case scenario. A Form 4 SBR you're looking at a year wait. There have been a few people reporting Form 4's coming back in a few months when filed as an individual, but that has mostly been for suppressors.

Most people that buy a 10/22 are just going to plink with them as is. Paying an additional $200 and waiting a year to get a rifle you could walk out of the store with today if the barrel was a few inches longer is not something most people in the market for a cheap .22LR are going to do.

I understand their appeal though, I'm going to efile Form 1 my M&P 15-22 and efile Form 1 for a home made suppressor for it, I've just been lazy about it.

Yes, there are plenty of choices in ARs, just saying it would be nice to have the ability to buy them factory-made.

Perhaps Lipsey's could commission a run of SBR'd 10/22 and test the waters.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

That's way above my paygrade, Dan.

All Ruger has to do is make 10.5-in. Threaded bbls and drop them in the factory wood stocks and they'd sell every one,for a skosh maux than Wal-Mart's bone stock price.

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    That's way above my paygrade, Dan.

All Ruger has to do is make 10.5-in. Threaded bbls and drop them in the factory wood stocks and they'd sell every one,for a skosh maux than Wal-Mart's bone stock price.

The expense of class iii stuff is more in the man hours spent for paperwork than manufacturing costs I reckon. I agree that it would be...less expensive.. than some of the custom options, but it wouldn’t be that cheap either.

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    Dang!

In a different century y'all woulda railed against electricity, internal combustion and typewriters.

Never mind.😆
    No not really, it's just not as easy as you think it should be. A factory 10/22 SBR would not sell for anywhere near the price Walmart sells a regular 10/22 for. There's way too many other factors at play for that to be possible.

SOT to SOT transfer cost, Tax stamps and associated delays, opportunity cost issues and the fact that there is NO markup on NFA shit for a dealer, I figure that a Factory SBR Ruger 10-22 would be around a 900-1000 dollar rifle before we even got to stamp costs and they would just collect dust on the dealers wall. Much like S&W M&P 15-22 integrally suppressed rifles that no one can sell for shit, We bought one for the SOT associated with my buddies shop that does machine gun fun shoots in eastern NC. Got it from another buddies shop for 300 bucks after it had collected dust there for 2 plus years with nary a bite. With e-file only taking a few weeks at most now, Not enough people to make it economically viable for the manufacturer are going to go through the hassle for a.....toy at best, it's just soo much cheaper to do it yourself.

because patience, $200.00, and fear of being on a "list."

Site Supporter
    I think if you are on this forum you are already on “the list”.

User Tag List