Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ken Predicts the Future

Ken Predicts the Future

Ken Hackathorn speculates on how growing trends in the gun industry will play out in the near future.

Site Supporter
    Probably the one thing that stuck out to me in that one when I saw it the other day was when they mention the fact that the folks running the gun companies aren't shooters and know next to nothing about what people really want.

Makes for a double take of "say whaaaa?"

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    Probably the one thing that stuck out to me in that one when I saw it the other day was when they mention the fact that the folks running the gun companies aren't shooters and know next to nothing about what people really want.

Makes for a double take of "say whaaaa?"
    That's typical of business in general, capitalism at work. I'm OK with that. It keeps companies alive.

What amazed me was when I realized gun designers/engineers weren't shooters. For the record, I am a big fan of Beretta 92FSs and Sig P22Xs, but because of reliabitly combined with accuracy, not handling. They fire a mid-bore round out of a larger, clunkier, and blockier package than what formerly was done with a large bore... compare those hi-cap options to the svelte packages of the Single Action Army, 1911, or even P35.

Those were designed by people who at least understood and listened to gunslingers if they weren't ones themselves. At least they were Shooters.

The Glock falls somewhere in between - horrendous trigger and amazingly crappy stock sights combined with high capacity, reliability, and, significantly, a slim grip for capacity and low bore axis. While other features claim the headlines, I don't think they would be the runaway success that they are if they didn't handle well (though I remain a trigger snob, sorry, truth hurts).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    That's typical of business in general, capitalism at work. I'm OK with that. It keeps companies alive.

What amazed me was when I realized gun designers/engineers weren't shooters. For the record, I am a big fan of Beretta 92FSs and Sig P22Xs, but because of reliabitly combined with accuracy, not handling. They fire a mid-bore round out of a larger, clunkier, and blockier package than what formerly was done with a large bore... compare those hi-cap options to the svelte packages of the Single Action Army, 1911, or even P35.

Those were designed by people who at least understood and listened to gunslingers if they weren't ones themselves. At least they were Shooters.

The Glock falls somewhere in between - horrendous trigger and amazingly crappy stock sights combined with high capacity, reliability, and, significantly, a slim grip for capacity and low bore axis. While other features claim the headlines, I don't think they would be the runaway success that they are if they didn't handle well (though I remain a trigger snob, sorry, truth hurts).
    I don't know. When I first started shooting pistols, I bought a G22 and then a couple XD's. I gravitated away from the Glock quickly because it just didn't fit me as well, and the Springfields have a better trigger, IMO. The Glock wasn't with me for several years, and I really hadn't shot at all for a number of years until the end of last year. I started back on XD's, which still are acceptable for me, and started in on this M9 last spring. Between it and the 92 compact I bought shortly later, they've got more rounds through them than the accumulation of all the pistol rounds I'd fired previous to that in my life. I've grown to like it a lot. 8000 and something rounds can do that, especially after dropping a trigger job in a bag in it.

That same G22 just came back to me, and I shot a few rounds through it. Going to drop a 9mm barrel in it, so I don't feel I can talk as objectively about how it shoots since I haven't shot any .40 to speak of in a long time. Yet, I pick it up and it simply does not point naturally, at least at first. I can adapt around it, but to first grab it after shooting something else, it just feels wrong.

Site Supporter
    Interesting, nothing very controversial- usual Glock and the good old days talk by old men.

Not too sophisticated or deliberately so on the NRA debate.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 11-09-2019 at 10:24 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    S&W reps are at the local range this morning. I was thinking about what I might be able to say to them ("voice of the customer") that would be constructive after I beg them to build an M&P 314 and another run of 327 PDs, and it got me thinking about how I would approach unkittening the company, were I in a position to do so. I realized that it may not be possible to do so. I can't figure out how you could recruit people who are actually interested in the product to go live in a state where the government declares people who are actually interested in the product to be Public Enemy #1.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    S&W reps are at the local range this morning. I was thinking about what I might be able to say to them ("voice of the customer") that would be constructive after I beg them to build an M&P 314 and another run of 327 PDs, and it got me thinking about how I would approach unkittening the company, were I in a position to do so. I realized that it may not be possible to do so. I can't figure out how you could recruit people who are actually interested in the product to go live in a state where the government declares people who are actually interested in the product to be Public Enemy #1.
    Perhaps that is exactly the point they need to hear. They need to relocate to a state which can help them attract people who would shoot their products for the fun of it as well as for serious purposes even if they were not employees. These are the people who will understand and pay attention to the little differences that make a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    We likely have a few red dot shooters with a different opinion of red dots.

Re: the NRA comments, they are probably calculated not to anger potential customers more than to inform. Unfortunately if we don’t get the NRA squared away, 2020 could be ugly, and ignoring the issues fails to accomplish that goal.

I could certainly benefit from one of Ken’s classes, and would love to own one of Bill’s 1911 pistols, but learned nothing from this video.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

CWM11B
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Perhaps that is exactly the point they need to hear. They need to relocate to a state which can help them attract people who would shoot their products for the fun of it as well as for serious purposes even if they were not employees. These are the people who will understand and pay attention to the little differences that make a big difference.

I've had that conversation with the former head of LE sales many times. They'd love to, but cant afford it. Buying out the union contracts alone would crush them financially.

Hammertime
    I tend to concur with Ken’s assessment that the red dot, while the future, just isn’t ready for prime time yet.

User Tag List