Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: LE uniforms dressing down ?

BBI, if you're able to get juries convinced with guys decked out in SWAT uniforms/gear, don't you think they'd be convinced with regular uniforms too? Is this more a case of jury nullification than a jury legitimately believing a guy had a claim to self-defense?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If you search the internet you can buy regular, traditional police uniforms, too.

Impersonators usually don't do anything beyond buy a fake badge.
    Hell, I've never been asked for ID at a local uniform house for anything but a badge. We need a letter from HR to buy a spare badge or flat badge.

I'll largely agree with this premise, with two exceptions:

1) Security guards/private construction flaggers
    2) Guys who were fired or washed out.

I've seen several of them mimic the vest/5.11 look. I only know of one guy locally who's went so far as to put a full uniform and car together. He's went so far as to show up to police funerals. He's the exception, though a very very annoying one. He's been arrested at least twice that I know of.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Hell, I've never been asked for ID at a local uniform house for anything but a badge. We need a letter from HR to buy a spare badge or flat badge.

I'll largely agree with this premise, with two exceptions:

1) Security guards/private construction flaggers
    2) Guys who were fired or washed out.

I've seen several of them mimic the vest/5.11 look. I only know of one guy locally who's went so far as to put a full uniform and car together. He's went so far as to show up to police funerals. He's the exception, though a very very annoying one. He's been arrested at least twice that I know of.
    Yeah, there's definitely some that go balls deep. I remember seeing some video of a guy in Houston, Texas that had a full uniform, duty belt, taser, etc.

All of our impersonators buy a fake badge and a home made raid jacket. Last one was in Texas, within a year of that we had one in Brooklyn. The guy in Texas set off local LEOs because he was talking the talk and offering training courses, but shot like shit and didn't know what he was doing. Our agents apparently did a fake "buy" for training (can you believe that) to catch him in the act of presenting the badge for benefit, is what I heard.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    BBI, if you're able to get juries convinced with guys decked out in SWAT uniforms/gear, don't you think they'd be convinced with regular uniforms too? Is this more a case of jury nullification than a jury legitimately believing a guy had a claim to self-defense?
    I don't have any inside dope on one of them. The second I am pretty comfortable in saying the jury believed him. I'll PM you.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Banned
    El Paso County Sheriff's Department has some of their officers wearing the 5.11 Royal Robbins pants and a black polo with an EPCSO logo and an embroidered badge on it.

I've never had the slightest difficulty identifying them as police.

But I do think it's kind of funny that I used to work for a security company that put me in the exact same uniform except for my shirt was blue and my logo and badge both said "Private Security" .

What I find ridiculous and I find really objectionable is when I see cops running around in straight up military uniforms. I mean, I understand a BDU type uniform and I think that would be a really good idea but you don't need to be running around downtown Colorado Springs in pixelated cammies and a Kevlar.

Site Supporter
    I used to believe in the polo uniform, soft uniform, "tac look" was just fine. Now I disagree.

For some roles, I think it's ok, but for most I think the traditional cop look is better.

Clean shaven, traditional looking uniform, good looking gear, etc make a difference in my opinion. It gives an officer a professional appearance and a professional feel. Right now I have a beard, and honestly, it looks a lot less professional and I need to shave.

Speaking of patches, I believe LAPD regular patrol does not wear patches.

Site Supporter
    I'll be the voice of dissent. I wear a polo and 5.11 pants. It started out as a bike/special events uniform, and I am not technically off of bike patrol even though I haven't been on a bike in about five years. My staffing and supervisory issues have kept me off the bike for a long, long time. Also wearing the bike uniform means I don't have to give up my nylon duty belt, which is forbidden with a standard uniform.

My polo is embroidered with my name and has a shoulder patch and a badge patch. The bike/special events uniform is much more comfortable in all seasons, easier to layer under in cold weather, and cheaper to replace when you get hung up going through a sliding glass door and end up tearing something. I don't wear jackets. I get into a lot of foot pursuits, and most buildings in the area are like jungle gyms from me, so gusseted crotch and underarms and tougher material at a lower cost are all pluses. We have had no problems being ID'd. By SOP we are not allowed lettering other than an embroidered name and rank on our uniforms. (don't ask me why, and not many adhere to that part of the SOP.) And I love catching burglars, so I go into/get on a bunch of buildings.

I don't care much for the exterior vest carriers, nor officers that are color blind and can't match uniform trousers, blouse, or undershirt.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 11-06-2019 at 11:55 PM.

I don’t mind wearing the parade uniform for parades or for court. But on duty it’s not 1950 anymore. Along with it not being 1950 anymore we have stricter use of force polices, a ton more gear on our belts, I do not want officers looking like they just hopped off a chopper from Afghanistan. I also don’t want officers encumbered in a uniform that restricts movement and places all weight on the hips. Look a new gadget! Here officer carry this around! At one point they wanted officers to carry Narcan. Hey it’s not me that has to carry that. They’re young they can take it. Of course that lasted a month. Naw no downside to having a ton of weight hanging off your hips and lower back. Then we are off to all the pins and dept flair pinned on to the uniforms that shred seat belts or fly away after getting caught on said seatbelt. Why? It looks professional. Yeah I can show up tomorrow wearing a wig and call myself Sally and guess what in today’s world that’s professional. Oh we can’t change the uniform as citizens won’t know you’re an officer. You mean like the burglar that shot one of my officers responding to a burglary? That’s what he said. Just like those are my cousin’s pants. To me it’s something some desk warmer says who has not worn the gear in 30 years.

My solution is 511 polo with patches, outer vest carrier that can carry gear as conservative you can get with POLICE on the back, and cargo pants. Even some European agencies have some good uniforms that make sense. If not it’s time for departments to pay for messed up backs through disability payments like the military. You want 2 mags, taser, cuffs, baton, glove pouch, radio, gun, pepper spray, body cam, best, whistle, a ton of pinned garbage to make senior citizens feel like its 1950 again then you pay the disability.
    Last edited by Obelisk; 11-07-2019 at 12:01 AM.

I hate to be a negative nelly but we are screwed any way we slice the pie.

My department wears polyester sweat suits and 90% of the agency looks like a swollen pickle.

I shit you not, ive rolled up to a suspicious person call regarding juveniles in a park after hours two marked units deep, in full road patrol polyester zoot suits and the middle aged female that I stopped insisted that I was not a cop. This was an individual with no record, an average citizen, not looking to play street lawyer, but someone who gives into the media hysteria. The type that proclaims this city as "my city, ive lived here for 37 years and I know the rules".

Come on....

To the best of my knowledge, there are no documented incident's of people stealing patrol vehicles, two deep, in full uniforms committing crimes. I'm probably wrong but I just thought that her incredulity was a stretch and pretty unreasonable.

I don't mind a class A style uniform it just needs to be functional. I like to look professional while I work. I also need to be able to work and its frustrating as all hell when my gear limits my performance.
    Last edited by Magsz; 11-07-2019 at 01:00 AM.

Banned
    This is what CSPD wears.

User Tag List