Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: LE uniforms dressing down ?

Site Supporter
    Judging by the mag pouch placement and empty holsters, those appear to be their issue handguns cleared and marked with tape for an active shooter exercise.
    We did one at our courts facility this past summer and our firearms were checked and taped in a similar fashion.

I want my cops to look like cops and not military. I really don't like it when cops start wearing military garb and gear.

As far as normal duty uniforms go, there is no reason they can't be made functional and with good/modern materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpnav View Post
    I want my cops to look like cops and not military. I really don't like it when cops start wearing military garb and gear.

As far as normal duty uniforms go, there is no reason they can't be made functional and with good/modern materials.
    I think @Mas says it best:

News flash: Police in America have had a paramilitary structure since before our oldest living citizen was born. Look at the rank structure: Captains, lieutenants, sergeants and in some departments, corporals on one end and majors and a colonel or two on the other. Substitute “private” for “patrolman,” understand “trooper” can describe state police and some soldiers alike, and realize in some state police agencies, local headquarters are still called “barracks.”

When AR-15’s are issued to local patrol officers, cries arise of “militarization.” Excuse me, but the lever action repeater was the “assault rifle” of the 19th Century, and history shows cops got repeating rifles before the US Army did — and armed citizens had them before that. The modern uniforms? Please … when I was a kid in mid-20th century, “policemen” and “firemen” and “postmen” all worked in distinctive uniforms. Today, letter carriers get to wear shorts in warm weather, firefighters have more job-related work clothes, and cops — who have to do rough and dirty work — no longer wear leather-soled dress shoes or dress like postmen, only with badges and gun belts. Is there, like, a problem there? Yes, the military had semi-auto pistols before they were issued to cops, but the same was true of armed citizens. The point?
    https://americanhandgunner.com/our-e...oo-aggressive/

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Most traditional US police uniforms are military in style. It just depends on what era. I'm joking when I say "civil war uniform" but like most jokes there's some truth to it. Surplus Union uniforms became police uniforms for many cities.

However the debate is as old as the concept of a professional police force. Sir Robert Peel put the first London police force in blue jackets with tails and top hats specifically to make them look more like the general population then the "lobsterback" British army uniform.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I've seen allot of changes over the last five years (finally got rid of ties and now we have them back again). Some changes I like and some I don't care for. No matter what you're wearing you have to look and act squared away. Officer bag o' donuts will look the same no matter what uniform he's wearing.
    Last edited by Sammy1; 11-20-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    I've seen allot of changes over the last five years (finally got rid of ties and now we have them back again). Some changes I like and some I don't care for. No matter what you're wearing you have to look and act squared away. Officer bag o' donuts will look the same no matter what uniform he's wearing.
    Yep. Some of these folks look like something the cat dragged in.....not in the two sections I command.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpnav View Post

May I ask, what specific military garb & gear do you object to when worn by the police?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    May I ask, what specific military garb & gear do you object to when worn by the police?
    I think I get where he’s getting at. Our dog handlers look like they just came back from a tour in Afghanistan. Light green fight suits and black outer plate carrier with all sorts of crap hooked to it. Then add in a beard LOL, I love my beard but it’s short. But in reality every time we need the dog he’s out there climbing fences or is out in the woods. If you have a low crime high income area yeah the parade uniform makes sense. In the hood not so much. Police uniforms are modeled after military uniforms. The same with some police academy’s with boot campesque stuff. So if you want to demilitarize the police it’s further on than just the uniform. Police are a paramilitary organization period and trying to pretend it’s not is silly. Are they tabbed? No. Are they wanna be special forces? No. Even though I’m a vet and we have a PJ on shift along with a lot of former military.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I don't see any reason for CIVILIAN Police Officers to be running around in literally The Army Combat Uniform, complete with unit patches and the like. I realize my objection is purely psychological but you're not the Army and you shouldn't pretend to be the Army. I don't how to say this exactly, but there needs to be a clear distinction between the CIVIL police and the Army.

I also don't think you should have anything on your belt that I can't buy at my LGS including fully automatic weapons.

ETA

You shouldn't be exempt from magazine restrictions.

Except in the performance of your official duties you should not be able to carry a gun anywhere I can't carry a gun and that includes carrying across state lines under LEOSA. I shouldn't need a permit period but that's a different subject.
    Last edited by Cypher; 11-22-2019 at 12:19 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I also don't think you should have anything on your belt that I can't buy at my LGS including fully automatic weapons.

ETA

You shouldn't be exempt from magazine restrictions.

Except in the performance of your official duties you should not be able to carry a gun anywhere I can't carry a gun and that includes carrying across state lines under LEOSA. I shouldn't need a permit period but that's a different subject.
    Why? Is this all just based on feelings of fairness?

More trained and vetted people armed in more places make society safer. Do I wish that non-police civilians could CC across state lines without navigating a wild tangle of different laws? Yes, I do.

However, removing the ability of off-duty LEOs to do the same thing based on little more than an “it’s not fair!” jealousy-fueled tantrum would not be beneficial to public safety.

User Tag List