Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: LE uniforms dressing down ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    On the veterans forums that I participate in they're constantly bewailing the loss of spit shine jump boots.

I do have to admit though that ACU jump boots look kind of stupid
    Honestly, spit shining Cocoran’s was a PITA. BDUs pressed with starch and shining boots easily soaked up another couple hours after a 12-hour shift...but it was “required”. Mind you we did PT before shift which added another couple hours.

My son is in now and those new uniforms (OCP’s?) and boots make his life a lot easier. Once they’re done for the day he and his friends play video games for hours. My how times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    To be honest, I think older type uniforms that have been pressed into service with modern equipment loads are often more unprofessional looking than the modern uniforms that many of the Old Guard consider to be unprofessional. No doubt that cops from a few decades ago had a much cleaner, sharp, distinctive appearance than those today, but whether that's relevant today is up for argument. That, and the generational gap on what a given age group thinks is professional enough, is why I think we are where we are.

About that last point, I bet there's some military police forum with a bunch of retired Cold Warriors who say MPs should still be wearing polished helmets and Service Dress for duty, as well.
    To be honest, I think you're just anti-uniform.

Regarding uniform changes: I think it gets under the skin of most old timers because they view it as the further erosion of professional standards within the profession, as they see it. It's about emotion, not shear practicality. In reality, law enforcement is simply the society that produces it in microcosm. Society itself is becoming more and more casual all the time. Unless you're over fifty, a spit and polish uniform doesn't necessarily impress you.

My biggest gripe is that uniforms need to be largely that: uniform. Since dirt, the city PDs uniform was khaki, in the traditional format. Then, a few years ago 5.11s, polos and tac vests became authorized. The PD started receiving a lot of complaints over it. Not because of any perceived lack of professionalism, but because of confusion. Half a dozen officers might respond to a call wearing half a dozen different uniforms and people couldn't figure out who was who. Three or four years ago they got a new chief and one of the first things he did was change the uniform. There was increased standardization which was good, but he also changed the color, which was superfluous and increased costs to the tax payer. Now, they wear a navy blue uniform with fewer options which helps with standardization and recognition. One of the dumber things he did was remove the wording "POLICE" from the back of their vests, too aggressive don't you know. One of the officers pointer out, it probably wasn't a good idea, since you'd then have officers poking around people backyards at night on a call, in dark clothing without visible markings. I'm sure you can figure out where that went.

Just don't get me started on patrol car markings.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Regarding uniform changes: I think it gets under the skin of most old timers because they view it as the further erosion of professional standards within the profession, as they see it. It's about emotion, not shear practicality. .
    And I'm sure cops of previous ages bemoaned your generation as soft shitbags dressings down for your comfort, instead of wearing a full dress uniform with coat, Sam Browne (an actual one, not a just a fucking duty belt), riding breeches and knee high boots.

Well, maybe not Kansas because it's hot as balls, but that was the dress in many areas of the Northeast before they went to a typical late-20th century uniform. The old timers looking down on the newer generation is a cycle, with every generation thinking they're God's Chosen when they get to a certain age, and that they did it right and the new guys are shitbags, regardless of the fact they were at once the young generation of shitbags to the old timers.

Yes, it's quite possible I'm anti uniform, given I left those to my two last jobs and am now a plainclothes fed. FWIW I always liked wearing my Chuck's when I was in the USMC, but the idea of doing policing work in those, to me, is just fucking retarded.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-11-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    And I'm sure cops of previous ages bemoaned your generation as soft shitbags dressings down for your comfort, instead of wearing a full dress uniform with coat, Sam Browne (an actual one, not a just a fucking duty belt), riding breeches and knee high boots.

Well, maybe not Kansas because it's hot as balls, but that was the dress in many areas of the Northeast before they went to a typical late-20th century uniform. The old timers looking down on the newer generation is a cycle, with every generation thinking they're God's Chosen when they get to a certain age, and that they did it right and the new guys are shitbags, regardless of the fact they were at once the young generation of shitbags to the old timers.

Yes, it's quite possible I'm anti uniform, given I left those to my two last jobs and am now a plainclothes fed. FWIW I always liked wearing my Chuck's when I was in the USMC, but the idea of doing policing work in those, to me, is just fucking retarded.
    Sounds like we're maybe two generations from policing in sweat pants with an optional tiara.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Sounds like we're maybe two generations from policing in sweat pants with an optional tiara.
    I imagine you'd clamor to come out of retirement for that!

Let people wear a medieval cape and @Trooper224 is bound to quit retirement as well.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Let people wear a medieval cape and @Trooper224 is bound to quit retirement as well.
    Only if I can express my individuality with something like "juicy" or "sassy" across the ass.

Name:  20171017_135150.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  39.8 KB

Paris (pre-cursor to the) police had it going on a few centuries back.

Well, they couldn't say that about us since the uniform hasn't appreciably changed since 1937. Still wear the "real" Sam Browne, still wool regardless of the season, f'ing ties, etc. When I came on we still wore the Class A blouse for certain things. That was awfully special, since it was made when drop loop holsters were the thing and a modern holster rode so high on the belt you couldn't holster your own weapon. They had replaced the riding pants and boots by then. Shame though, as I could have rocked those.

I always found trash talking the younger guys to be a bit nonsensical. Yes, admittedly there did seem to be a few areas where they were inferior, but the same could be said about the older guys too. Many of them lived in fear of technology. I remember when the agency told everyone paper reports would no longer be accepted, all electronic now. Some guys actually retired because of that. New guys on the other hand, never met a gadget they didn't like and are far more savvy when it comes to tech stuff. .

Bitch, that's called a "cloak".

When I started I came to work dressed like every other rookie...just like the older guys. As a matter of fact, once one of the other FTOs found out I was an MP he begged to get rid of his rookie. He knew nothing about me or my background...he just knew the standard (he had been an MP also) and he was willing to gamble on it versus the shitbag he had (who eventually was fired when he came to work impaired and wrecked a patrol car).

I never complained about the uniform...I just came to work, made arrests, and took my calls...The older dudes never scoffed at me either. I wanted to work and prove my worth, not only to the guys I worked with, but to myself that this was a career for me.

Move the time line 24 years and these new guys are scared. They’ve never been punched in the face and they were awarded participation trophy’s as children. They were given everything. As cops they bemoan the duty uniform and duty belt and want concessions. Wear the uniform or hit the road...that’s my opinion. However, most agencies are finding it hard to hire quality applicants and they adjust their standard. They’re paying them top-dollar too...I started making $21000.00/year... and I was happy to get it! These jokers now start at $45000.00/year and they can’t be motivated. It’s a rare occasion when you get a rookie who is actually proactive and seeks out warrant services and Drunks.

I know it seems like I’m ranting...but I’m not trying too. There is definitely a generational gap in mindset between my generation and the millennials. These new folks have a “hard row to hoe” if they stay in LE for 30 years.

Uniforms should look professional and the body inside it should too.

On Chucks, there are several agencies around here, most notably NCSHP, that require their officers wear shiny chukkas year-round along with long sleeves & tie.

User Tag List