Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The best state?

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk View Post
    It’s the same dilemma I’m in, my move date is about ten years in the future. Georgia will cease to exist the way it is now in ten years or sooner. Conservatives are being out bred and liberals moving to Atlanta. Atlanta sucks up the lion’s share of taxes.

Like Manhattan attempts to set policy for all of New York, Atlanta is trying to set policy for the whole state of Georgia. Gwinnett County was once a bastion of conservatism. It's been blue for the last two elections in 2016 and 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'll be honest, the state has good hunting, great shellfishing, good fishing, and mild weather.

The people though...

I lived on a 16 acre farm here for 5 or so years where I shot coyotes out my bedroom window at night, etc. Miss that place
    If you were to ask me I'd say RI. I love it there and seriously considered a move (South County area) this year. Beautiful, isolated, and quiet. And soon with better gun laws than VA.

Wyoming is going to have the most freedom, hands down. You just have to be prepared to live there.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    And an asshole sheriff to keep out drifters too?

Attachment 44500

At least in the Southeast most small towns are slowly dying with limited economic opportunity for anybody that stays behind.
    Nothing like going to the store and getting in line to have some 19 year old girl wearing pajamas with two kids whip out a WIC booklet, cash, and an EBT card, but heck has a brand new Nissan Altima. Does the sheriff handle that too?

The small towns are dying because of old money. Old money controls everything. It’s like the movie Road House. They refuse to let any industry in because it might raise wages as they pretty much own all commercially zoned land and politicians. The cities are all addicted to federal money and will take all the section 8 housing they can. Which lowers the schools and property values. Thus even if a large corporation wanted to move in trying to get qualified workers would be an issue for them.

I teach in 40 states and still live in the Gulf South.

When this place goes blue, the world will be.

Alabama, Mississippi, Wyoming, Utah

GA, TN, MO, NC are all in danger of being dragged down by the big cities in their states at some point.

SC is probably safe but they already have f'ed up gun laws. As cited, KY is probably safe, the governor thing is about a guy as an individual that both sides absolutely hate, similar to how AL got a (very temporary) democratic senator, not a sea change.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    North Georgia around Dahlonega and north is pretty awesome. No Wyoming but in the South. The area of Huntsville AL impressed me but I’ve only visited
    I am a little west of Dahlonega. I agree about the Huntsville AL area. If GA goes Blue, we may move toward Huntsville.

My plan is for Idaho, but all the other fleeing Californians are driving up prices like crazy these last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Wyoming is going to have the most freedom, hands down. You just have to be prepared to live there.
    Long distance shooting must be extra frustrating...

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Alabama, Mississippi, Wyoming, Utah

GA, TN, MO, NC are all in danger of being dragged down by the big cities in their states at some point.

SC is probably safe but they already have f'ed up gun laws. As cited, KY is probably safe, the governor thing is about a guy as an individual that both sides absolutely hate, similar to how AL got a (very temporary) democratic senator, not a sea change.
    -----------------------------------
    SC got rid of the 1 handgun every 30 (without SLED being notified)days law years back.

What other law are you thinking about ?

Site Supporter

The best state?

I will make a pitch for Pennsylvania in general and the Pittsburgh area in particular.

It is generally very gun and knife friendly, with the exception of Philadelphia’s very strict knife laws. Although the news would have you believe the state is trending blue, the recent switch from paperless machine voting to paper ballots fed directly to the machine by the voter is likely to reduce fraud and thus help conservatives. The demographics of the state keep the legislature Republican even when the Democrats have the governor’s mansion.

As a swing state in presidential elections, your impact here will be more significant than in many other places where you would just be confirming the way the state votes anyway.

The Pittsburgh area is a virtual Mecca for health care professionals. You can live a short distance outside the city and see woods and deer from your back yard.

Re: good schools: I live in what is considered a “good” school district, and if you really care about good schools, you want to live near a good private school, wherever you go. Both of my kids attend a small Christian school.

Re: fitness: I bike around my small town with relative ease, and a YMCA membership provides access to a weight room and pool with lap swimming lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 11-07-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List