Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The best state?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Similar talk as with VA that I've been reading online today. Beyond that nothing. KY and TN are high on our list.
    I have an uncle in Lexington who enjoys his various outdoorsy pursuits, and it doesn't appear land values are quite to Louisville levels yet. I took my dad to visit him about a week back and traffic wasn't bad, either.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

CWM11B
    NC has plenty of jobs for nurses. There are plenty of places in the mountains that are still quite remote, and folks up there definitely tend to mind their own business. Contrary to what many like to believe, I've got no issues with like minded folks coming down and fitting in. What I detest are those who come down then demand we bend to their desires, call us uneducated rednecks, and bitch about how "backwards" we are. If, God forbid, I ever had to live up north, I'd accept what it was and try to fit in. Rural NC is shrinking (I'm not rural but would love to be. That's what I get for marrying a city girl.)

We're gun friendly for now (NFA stuff it s all good to go here) but I'm afraid we will be VA in 5-10 years. I'd love to move to SC or GA, but it'll probably never happen. Anymore, I'm starting to believe there is no place in my state, let alone country, for me.

Edit to add: TN is on my list as well. I'd also consider central AL, because I have fond memories of college there. TN because my dad's family settled parts of the eastern part after fighting the revolution in NC. I'd love to stay here as we've been here since the beginning.
    Last edited by CWM11B; 11-06-2019 at 06:42 PM.

I drive by the Brattleboro retreat on my way to family land so it's tempting. I'm headed up there in a few days for some bear hunting
    Worth noting is that VT passed some fairly restrictive gun laws about a year ago. Not NY/NJ bad, but mag capacity restrictions and universal background checks for starters. NH is still good for now but my guess is it's only a matter of time until its fully overrun by massholes...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by VT1032; 11-06-2019 at 07:32 PM.

My wife and I are looking to move next year. Probably when our lease is up in June. I'm a nurse and looking through indeed I feel I can get a job in psych in pretty much any state.

For those who live in rural areas and don't want a damn yank spoiling their state I don't blame them.
    Attachment 44489
    I love hounds, squirrel stew, and being left the fuck alone.

My wife is really interested in NH because her sister lives up there.

We're interested in the south but VA, ky, and a few others aren't looking to good either right now.

She visited CO once and loved it. I'm sure if we visited WY I could get her on board.

We're very active (met on fitness singles.com) so we would prefer warmer states but obviously NH or any Western mountain State has a long winter.

We have a 1 year old and we'd like good schools too.

I'd like 10-20 acres to have a garden, animals, and a range.

So where should we focus our search?
    North Georgia around Dahlonega and north is pretty awesome. No Wyoming but in the South. The area of Huntsville AL impressed me but I’ve only visited
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Out of curiosity, what's the issue with KY?
    IDK but it’s one of the most beautiful
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

It’s the same dilemma I’m in, my move date is about ten years in the future. Georgia will cease to exist the way it is now in ten years or sooner. Conservatives are being out bred and liberals moving to Atlanta. Atlanta sucks up the lion’s share of taxes. If I look South to Florida it ain’t no better. If Florida gets a democrat in as governor they are done. Every single dem running wants to instate a state income tax there.

My dream is to live in a town like the one in Rambo First Blood. Lots of trees, red necks, mountains, a local coffee shop where all the old geezers go drink coffee and complain every morning, a nice local gun store, and no section 8 housing. Does that exist anywhere but the movies? And yes I know it was filmed in Canada.

Don’t let the new governor elect ward you off from Kentucky. He just got elected because Bevin literally gave no other option. The state is still firmly pro-2nd (except Louisville), and the rest of our state legislature firmly red.
    Last edited by Rotundra; 11-06-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk View Post
    My dream is to live in a town like the one in Rambo First Blood. Lots of trees, red necks, mountains, a local coffee shop where all the old geezers go drink coffee and complain every morning, a nice local gun store, and no section 8 housing. Does that exist anywhere but the movies?

And an asshole sheriff to keep out drifters too?

Name:  0CCF3762-7961-4203-A537-1C6D1575274F.jpeg
Views: 490
Size:  22.3 KB

At least in the Southeast most small towns are slowly dying with limited economic opportunity for anybody that stays behind.

Move this to "coterie", and I’ll tell you.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    We have plenty of crazy people in Texas and a large number of insane asylums. Come on down.

In your search look at demographics. These are available by county. They determine quality of schools and also crime rate. Percent below poverty level is one indicator. I would begin by consulting Blues in Tennessee.

User Tag List