Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock gen5 sights

Glock gen5 sights

A little help from the cognoscenti please.

Not being a Glock guy, I only pay a tiny bit of attention to Glock stuff. Now that I find myself with a 19x, I would like to change to some fiber optic sights. I went to Ameriglo's page and they made it a point to have Gen5 separate, and there no options available. I tried a search of P-F, but I think the search terms are too broad and I did not really find an answer.

So my question is this: are gen5 sights different and that any others for prior models are not applicable?
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Typically, yes, they are different. You usually need a taller front sight for Gen5 Glocks. I’m a huge fan of Dawson Precision for fiber optic front and blacked out rear. I have two sets of Chargers on a couple 19.4s and I have two sets of adjustables on a G17.2 and G17.5. The G17.5 definitely needs a slightly taller front sight as my shots are typically 2 inches high at 25 yds.

FWIW, using a ‘put dot on top of center of bull’ sight picture, for my G26.5, G19.5 and now, G43X, I’ve found POI = POA using a standard height rear and a front height of 0.180”, with most ammo I shoot, including Federal HST 147, Speer Gold Dot 124 and Federal AE 115/124.

My Gen 5 stock sights seemed to shoot low for me. I replaced with fiber optic sights made for Gen 3/4 and they work great.

I had the same experiences with my Gen5 guns as Post_4.
    My Gen5 guns came with the standard height .165" front sight, but with 6.1mm rear sights.
    The points of impact (POI) were too low for me and I replaced the 6.1mm rear sights with 6.5mm rear sights and now I'm happy.

All my previous Gen2 to Gen4 9mm Glocks came with the .165" front and 6.5mm rear sights and I'm used to POIs level with the tops of the sights, not a "drive-the-dot" sight picture.

ADVICE.
    Shoot the sights you have first, before changing to a different front, rear, or entire sight set. At this point, you can decide on the appropriate sight heights for the replacement(s) you decide to buy. Whether you shoot 5 rounds or 5,000 rounds at any distance you want before deciding to keep or alter the sight heights is up to you.

Not exactly asked in Post_1, the front and rear sights of Gen5 have the same front mounting hole size and rear dovetail cut size as earlier generations of Glock. With the Gen5 models, Glock came out with additional sight versions and began offering some sights made by Ameriglo as an option direct from Glock (disregard comments if referring to the G43, G43X, & G48 models).

A Dawson fiber front and plain black rear is my default choice, especially for a range/competition pistol.

An alternative for a more durable set-up with a dehorned rear, and more weather resistant finish is the offering from Trijicon. The negative is less choices of dimensions.

https://www.trijicon.com/products/de...gl701-c-601023
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

In my experience...maybe.

I have had 3 gen 5 glocks. 1 required gen 5 sights to zero, 2 were fine with regular Glock sights. Depends on ammo sensitivity too. One of those guns shot about 5 inches apart with 115 vs 147 gr ammo at 25 yards, another shot pretty much everything to the same POI.

If you’re really picky about zero, that’s a good reason to get adjustable sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawson’s F/O fronts are the heat. Not crazy about their fixed rears but there are plenty others out there to choose from...TTI does full Glock sets that are also worth a close look, they are good and the F/O rod is all the way up at the top of the sight (this is a good thing).

I use Gen 4 height sights on all my Gen 5 Glocks.

As others have said, Dawson Precision makes very nice sights. I've been using the standard gen 1-4 sights for my gen 5 guns without issue. Great sights at a great price.

User Tag List