Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HR 4789 Introduced--Would Allow Fed LE to Purchase Retired Service Handgun

HR 4789 Introduced--Would Allow Fed LE to Purchase Retired Service Handgun

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/hr4789/text

Last month, Representative Val Demings (D-FL) introduced H.R. 4789, a bipartisan bill to permit federal LEOs to purchase their retired service handgun at “fair market value taking into account the age and condition.” The bill is cosponsored by Representatives Greg Steube (R-FL), Darren Soto (D-FL). Don Bacon (R-NE) and John Rutherford (R-FL).

Since the passage of the 1994 Crime bill, the surplus service weapon must be destroyed. This bill would change that by allowing federal LEOs to purchase the retired handgun when they are issued a new weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/hr4789/text

Last month, Representative Val Demings (D-FL) introduced H.R. 4789, a bipartisan bill to permit federal LEOs to purchase their retired service handgun at “fair market value taking into account the age and condition.” The bill is cosponsored by Representatives Greg Steube (R-FL), Darren Soto (D-FL). Don Bacon (R-NE) and John Rutherford (R-FL).

Since the passage of the 1994 Crime bill, the surplus service weapon must be destroyed. This bill would change that by allowing federal LEOs to purchase the retired handgun when they are issued a new weapon.
    It's too bad this will never apply to the DoD, because I'd buy my Beretta in a heartbeat

Site Supporter
    I think this is a long overdue change, and I really hope it passes so that Fed LEO's will have that option going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    It's too bad this will never apply to the DoD, because I'd buy my Beretta in a heartbeat
    x2

Hell, I'd even be up for a program where a Service Member could purchase an approved SKU M9 or M17 or whatever, and have that transferred to arms room control as their issued weapon for a deployment, and have it returned to the SM after the De-mob.
    The Army would have to buy a hell of a lot less handguns if that kind of option was available.
    Last edited by JRB; 11-06-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I think this is a long overdue change, and I really hope it passes so that Fed LEO's will have that option going forward.

x2

Hell, I'd even be up for a program where a Service Member could purchase an approved SKU M9 or M17 or whatever, and have that transferred to arms room control as their issued weapon for a deployment, and have it returned to the SM after the De-mob.
    The Army would have to buy a hell of a lot less handguns if that kind of option was available.
    The Air Force has a whole mess of K-frame Model 15s sitting in armories all over the country.

Site Supporter
    When the DOD is done with the M9’s and M15s they can sell them via the CMP.

The same is not true of federal LE weapons.

Thanks to a Clinton Administration executive order, subsequently codified into the code of federal regulations at CFR Title 41 §101-42.1102-10(5) (c) federal law enforcement agency weapons can only be disposed of by destruction or transfer to another government entity.

There has been an online petition about this pending for years: https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/...-their-weapons

We have a thread on the petition with the background here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....pon-retirement
    Last edited by HCM; 11-06-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    When the DOD is done with the M9’s and M15s they can sell them via the CMP.
    I feel like there is a mechanism in place that prevents that, but oh my god the idea of the CMP getting a bunch of 50s and 60s era k-frames in good mechanical condition gets my dick hard.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Imagine how well all those M9s would be maintained. Their reputation for reliability and durability could skyrocket.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I feel like there is a mechanism in place that prevents that, but oh my god the idea of the CMP getting a bunch of 50s and 60s era k-frames in good mechanical condition gets my dick hard.
    You may be thinking of the fact that DOD surplus and 14s and M-16s cannot be sold via CMP because of ATF’s once a machine gun always a machine gun rule. The best they would be able to do would be to cut the receivers and sell them as parts kits..

The other question is are they actually in good mechanical condition? My understanding is these were mostly being used as blank guns for canine training.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Imagine how well all those M9s would be maintained. Their reputation for reliability and durability could skyrocket.
    Just because they are personally owned weapons does not necessarily mean the service members would be allowed to maintain them themselves. There are lawn Forssman agency’s with personally owned weapons programs that do not allow the officer or agent to do any type of maintenance or parts replacement on their own gun while it is in service as a duty gun.

That does bring up the point that even if I’m nine’s were sold via CMP they would be mostly rebuilt with third-party vendor parts.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    From what I've read, shaking the sand out of them and adding a few drops of oil now and then would be a big improvement for a lot of them. And maybe knowing when to request that the armorer throw a new recoil spring in it...
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-06-2019 at 12:31 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List