Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Virginia Elections

Virginia just went deep blue.

Kentucky likely went Democratic for the governor and is now potentially in play.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

It is significantly the case and has been a direct aim of resettling "immigrants" and "refugees" in various places in Virginia. That plus the enormous growth in the federal government (which mostly lives in Maryland and Northern Virginia) over the last decade brought a bunch more people into NOVA who share the same attitudes about their fellow citizens evidenced in the Strzock and Paige texts.
    This is EXACTLY what caused the change in VA. Often people don’t take into account the huge increase of contractors in the federal government. The vast majority of them are indistinguishable from fed workers and often move back and forth in a revolving door between GS work and contracting work. Therefore the real number of fed workers is much larger than reported. Often spouses in a household are one GS and one contractor. The population of the region has increased exponentially since 9-11 and many of them travel an hour or more to get to work here.

It’s easy to forget that anyone who works for or does business with the federal government are basically immune to recession and other economic issues. So the “bubble” of feel good nonsensical belief systems that exists here is huge. They never have to pay the price for their ideas. My neighbors live in $800K homes, have 3 cars, put 3 trash cans out to the curb each pickup, and take multiple vacations every year yet they talk incessantly about “conservation” and have Bernie Sanders stickers on their cars.

As for the immigrants coming to NOVA and beyond, one often overlooked factor is the H1B visas. I haven’t looked in a while but we have been second only to Silicon Valley (which is completely for liberty ) in H1B visas. My rich liberal neighbors kids go to UVA to study gender issues so they can’t fill the best high paying tech jobs. An incredible amount of people come here from places where the bill of rights isn’t a thing. They very quickly obtain legal status and become citizens. Most bring several family members in short order. Tons of new citizens now work in the federal government or for it. They hold the highest clearances and make the best salaries. I have not done a scientific study and I have no data, but anecdotally maybe 80% of these folks seem to have nearly zero respect for the freedoms we enjoy or the limits constitutionally imposed on government. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for people who come here and want to be Americans and enjoy the rights protected by the constitution. I just haven’t met to many of those. What I meet are folks who talk like the Strozk/page texts you referenced. People here throw around words like “redneck” or reference “Alabama” as if discussing herpes. But most are really referencing the CNN version as they haven’t ever been to the Deep South etc.

Due to these factors being so unique, yesterday’s election can’t really be viewed as a bellwether for anything nationally. But the genie isn’t going back in the bottle. This place is done. Hardly ever saw a homeless camp in NOVA when I first came here but now they are everywhere. I live in an upscale area and stumbled upon a large tent city walking with my kids on a paved Reston trail this August. Next will be the needles and poop just like CA

Just my opinion so it’s with what you paid for it.

Which, again, means you haven't been paying attention to Virginia politics for longer than 5 minutes.

John Kasich is a fucking idiot and is EXACTLY the sort of "Republican" who has helped guarantee this sort of result.
    Don't blame Kasich. He hasn't been running the country for last 34 months. As far as I know he has no influence on VA politics.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-06-2019 at 11:45 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Don't blame Kasich. He hasn't been running the country for last 34 months. As far as I know he has no influence on VA politics.
    Wasn't he Ohio or Idaho or something?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I quite clearly stated that it has been republicans like Kasich that has produced this result.

Those of his ilk are not the answer to the problem, they are the problem.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Wasn't he Ohio or Idaho or something?
    LMO.

He's that idiot republican that spent 18 years in congress...... from a swing state.....like VA.

Doesn't know shit about politics, obviously.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

TC, I was referring in general to the bleeding off of red to purple across the country rather than only specifically referring to VA.

You'd be correct in your assumption that I am not following VA politics closely. In that regard I am more concerned with my own backyard. (And hoping that my good friend @CWM11B isn't correct in predicting our imminent doom.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I quite clearly stated that it has been republicans like Kasich that has produced this result.

Those of his ilk are not the answer to the problem, they are the problem.
    If you say so. Maybe they need re-education on proper political viewpoints. But there are a lot. We probably should house them together while we do this. Its more efficient and can provide a more concentrated level of education.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    TC, I was referring in general to the bleeding off of red to purple across the country rather than only specifically referring to VA.

You'd be correct in your assumption that I am not following VA politics closely. In that regard I am more concerned with my own backyard. (And hoping that my good friend @CWM11B isn't correct in predicting our imminent doom.
    Asheville is your bellwether.

Quote Originally Posted by JWinTN View Post
    Asheville is your bellwether.
    Yeah, it's only about 30+ miles away but it's been a liberal stronghold for as long as I remember...which only goes back about 20 years or so. (Progressively moreso throughout that period.)

That said, even the small town I live outside of has plenty of liberal influence, though the county itself is quite conservative overall.

I hope we can keep it the way it is.

(Wishful thinking on my part. The sheriff's office here is very accommodating when it comes to my annual LEOSA quals, NC carry permits and gun ownership (and carry) in general.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List