Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Virginia Elections

CWM11B
    Asheville ain't got shit on Chapel Hill in that regard. Just sayin'
    Last edited by CWM11B; 11-06-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Not happy about the results. Not surprised at all given our proximity to DC and the center of gravity for voting resides in NoVA.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    If you say so. Maybe they need re-education on proper political viewpoints. But there are a lot. We probably should house them together while we do this. Its more efficient and can provide a more concentrated level of education.
    No, I'd say not putting them into office or positions of influence they then use to work against the nominees of the party like Kasich has done nationally and a bunch of similarly inclined fuckheads in the Republican Party of Virginia have done at the state level will be sufficient remedy.

This thread is about Virginia's result and I've gone to great pains to explain exactly what has been happening in Virginia over the last decade.

But, of course, I can't actually bring my knowledge of Virginia's political situation over the years to bear in a conversation about Virginia's political situation without someone Godwin-ing the conversation. Because that's where things are now, I guess.

Jesus titty-fucking Christ.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 11-06-2019 at 12:48 PM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I quite clearly stated that it has been republicans like Kasich that has produced this result.

Those of his ilk are not the answer to the problem, they are the problem.
    OK, I stand corrected.

Don't blame republicans "like" Kasich.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    OK, I stand corrected.

Don't blame republicans "like" Kasich.
    How about this:

I don't know where you live or what the political situation is like in whatever part of the country you call home.

I do, however, know Virginia quite well as I've been active in the politics here for twenty years. And I even explained it. In considerable detail.

Virginia is in our present predicament in no small part because of turncoat losers who have worked against the nominees of the party for multiple election cycles.

So, yes...it is EXACTLY Republicans like Kasich who have contributed mightily to the present predicament in Virginia.

Hold whatever opinion you want about the political situation in your neck of the woods, but don't tell those of us who live here and have watched this shit develop in front of our eyes what is and isn't happening. You have no fucking clue. It wasn't you at convention meetings at the county and state level watching this shit play out again and again. That was me.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 11-06-2019 at 12:55 PM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Not happy about the results. Not surprised at all given our proximity to DC and the center of gravity for voting resides in NoVA.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Well, as much as I love living here, they don't call it the Great State of Fairfax for nothing.

With that said, I think some of the comments here are a little dramatic.

Sincerely,

One Of Those Refugee Northerner Federal Employees That Is The Cause For Literally Everything That Has Gone Wrong In Your Life
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    No, I'd say not putting them into office or positions of influence they then use to work against the nominees of the party like Kasich has done nationally and a bunch of similarly inclined fuckheads in the Republican Party of Virginia have done at the state level will be sufficient remedy.

This thread is about Virginia's result and I've gone to great pains to explain exactly what has been happening in Virginia over the last decade.

But, of course, I can't actually bring my knowledge of Virginia's political situation over the years to bear in a conversation about Virginia's political situation without someone Godwin-ing the conversation. Because that's where things are now, I guess.

Jesus titty-fucking Christ.
    Hard to vote them out when the majority of voters agree with them.

Well, as much as I love living here, they don't call it the Great State of Fairfax for nothing.
    That is a whole lot of states now, and increasing. California consists of the LA Basin, Bay Area, and some other stuff.
    Texas has become Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and some other stuff.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 11-06-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Site Supporter
    I wish you citizens of VA luck. As a resident of Illinois, we are heavily influenced by Chicago's vote, but through the tireless efforts of our State org. the ISRA, we have clawed some ground back. It hasn't been easy by any means, but there have been a lot of Democrats in the "not Chicago" areas that have been pro 2A.

Get as many Dems on your side as possible.

It's not over.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I moved from southern CA to VA in 1991 and settled in Fairfax County, just outside of the very liberal Arlington and Alexandria counties. Moving to VA was refreshing because I could buy a gun, although at the time I believe there was a wait, and around that time the one-gun-a-month law was passed. However, I could not get a permit to carry because I lived in the Kingdom of Fairfax County, and they didn't grant them to ordinary citizens like me. I even went to the sherif station for an interview.

In the mid-90s, there was a movement to change the state to a shall-issue state. I was mildly involved in that. I testified at a meeting of northern VA politicians, and I went to Richmond at what was perhaps one of the first lobby days (could be wrong about that). I joined VCDL when it was NVCDL and briefly hosted the email list on my work computer. We won, and I got a permit in 1995 or 96. Since then, we chipped away at annoying laws, such as one-gun-a-month, prohibition of carrying in a restaurant that serves alcohol. The Dillon Rule was used against kingdoms like Fairfax that wanted to enact their own patchwork of laws. Right now, VA is a reasonably gun-friendly state, but all that is going to change, and very quickly.

I raised both my daughters in Fairfax County, and they turned out very liberal. All of their friends are likewise very liberal. I believe that is the future, whether we like it or not. I'm not well versed on VA or national politics, but I will say that one issue that influenced them to go against the republican side was the republican's insistence to fight against gay marriage a decade ago. I don't want to debate that issue: this is just my observation that they lost a lot of young people on this issue.

I've seen VA change in the 28 years I've been here. When I moved here, sales tax in CA was 6% or higher, and in VA it was 4.5%. Now VA's sales tax is at least 6%. Fairfax has seemed to lean left, but now is almost completely gone over to the democrat side. The only republican I'm aware of in the county is my representative to the board of supervisors, and even though he was a 10 year incumbent, only won yesterday by 50.7 to 49.1 percent. One of my daughters bought a house in Loudon county (the next county west of Fairfax), which is sprawl of new homes being built at a dizzying pace. It used to be horse country, but now it's being invaded by more suburbanites that want to make the suburbs like Arlington and Alexandria.

The immigrants are another issue. My wife teaches at the poorest school in Fairfax County, and has two demographics: immigrants, and welfare families. We (the taxpayers) bend over backwards for these people and give them so much free stuff it's amazing. This teaches them that free handouts from the government is the way it's supposed to be, and vote accordingly.

I'll be retiring soon, and am looking forward to leaving Fairfax County. The politicians here think they are doing a good job, but they are only successful because they have a bottomless supply of well-paying federal employees and contractors that are well-fed and well-nourished, and are pretty much immune to anything. The politicians pat themselves on the back, but their success is only because when I leave, there will be another GS-15 right behind me ready to buy my house. (If they were really honest, they would hold their head in shame at the complete f*cked up mess our traffic is, yet they use this to their advantage by always promising to fix it if could just elect them to one more term.) Anyway, both my daughters live in the area, so we'll probably remain within 100 miles of them when we retire, but on the other hand, WV isn't that far away.

Sorry for the rant.
    Last edited by trailrunner; 11-06-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Virginia Elections

A few thoughts...

- I don't think there's any vast conspiracy to resettle millions of refugees or import commie liberals into VA. Northern VA is close to a major global city thats also the seat of government, that has a huge tech industry and a shit ton of government contractors so it's an attractive place for younger people to move to. For the most part, younger people are more liberal.

-VA GOP has been a soup sandwich for the last decade. While the entire state has become more liberal, they decide to double down on shit like banning and limiting abortions, bitching about and trying to block Medicare expansion, and checking immigration status of people stopped by the local law enforcement. Run candidates that can win instead of blowhard conservatives like Cuccinelli and carpetbagging radical fucks like Corey Stewart

-VCDL has done a shitty job with messaging; and a pretty good job with lawsuits and pressuring candidates to support (or at least not block) firearm laws. All these gun groups need to figure out a better way to reach different audiences. Personally, I'd have all sorts of facts and stats about the ties between gun control and Jim Crow laws with examples of historical black 2A supporters like Robert F Williams, Deacons for Defense, etc.
    Last edited by richiecotite; 11-06-2019 at 05:19 PM.
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

User Tag List