Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Virginia Elections

It seems to me that this is the price exacted for the Republicans being like a blob of mercury that can't be nailed down on any fundamental issues and who refuse to rein in the executive branch when it needs it (on any number of levels and issues), and seem incapable of acting like fiduciaries elsewhere.

Did anyone not see the backlash coming?

It's always the old saw about people coming from the northeast or other traditionally liberal areas who are at fault. To some degree that may be the case, but the fact is, in my view, that the Republicans are creating new Democrats who cross over from their prior support of the Republican platform...due to both their actions as well as inaction.

I am not equating Republicans with conservatives. I am talking about the party and not about the conservative platform it once paid more than lip service to.

This is what we can expect when each side basically says "fuck you" to the other side when they have the numbers, and then "cries foul" when they don't.

We, the people, are the ones who pay the price for that vanity.
    Last edited by blues; 11-06-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    How on board are your Sheriff's Offices with leftist gun control? It may be an interesting confluence of no LE support for the impending legislation combined with massive refusal to comply and relevant 2nd Amendment litigation against any legislation. I think a loud ugly crowd in their faces may be more effective than nice at this point. Use the Left's tactics against the Left.
    This.

The counties are mainly red. Pressure sherriffs and CA's to simply not prosecute any hairbrained gun laws. Challenge this stuff in court.

...and now everybody can see why trying to get rid of Trump before 2020 is such a priority to the left. Because if he appoints more pro-gun judges it's an avenue of giving Heller teeth and stopping this kind of bullshit.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The training may be more innate than we want to acknowledge. There is a great book out there by a guy named Alinsky. Trump seems to use their playbook quite a bit.
    If it were innate, there wouldn't have been any need for the book.

I'm actually not interested in encouraging Alinsky-style tactics. Here's a sample from that article I linked earlier:

For an illustration of how the Buckley Model is damaging our bench, look at the contrast between the lefty and righty Parkland students who’ve gone on to public life. Yes, professionals did the heavy lifting for the lefty Parkland kids, and yes, the lefty Parkland kids took their turn at punditry; they got publicity, wrote op-eds, and gave interviews. But they did so much more, because their entire movement was structured as a learning experience.

To start with, the Parkland kids’ organization Never Again MSD is a political action committee. That means a bunch of teenagers were taught what a political action committee is, how to form one, and the advantages of forming a PAC rather than another type of organization for what they were looking to do.

Officeholders and teachers’ unions helped coordinate and mobilize a bus trip, which taught the kids how to mobilize a turnout. The kids were involved in the pressure campaign that saw the National Rifle Association lose a bunch of special corporate deals for NRA members. Then they were part of March for Our Lives, which involved coordinating events featuring hundreds of thousands of people in the main march in DC and more in hundreds of satellite events.

No, they weren’t leading any of this stuff. But they were absolutely being trained in how it works and how to do it. That meant they were in a good place to do more modest stuff later, like the town halls and voter registration drives they put on in 2018. And they’re in a good place to do bigger stuff in time.

Before he was cancelled, righty Parkland student Kyle Kashuv was trained to do exactly none of those things, and there was only one of him. Kashuv landed under the wing of prominent righties, and their contribution to his professional development was to teach him to yammer in a media studio, on Twitter, and behind podiums, and to do it by himself.

This isn’t just one atypical failure. It’s emblematic.
    Last edited by Moylan; 11-06-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It seems to me that this is the price exacted for the Republicans being like a blob of mercury that can't be nailed down on any fundamental issues and who refuse to rein in the executive branch when it needs it (on any number of levels and issues), and seem incapable of acting like fiduciaries elsewhere.

Did anyone not see the backlash coming?

It's always the old saw about people coming from the northeast or other traditionally liberal areas who are at fault. To some degree that may be the case, but the fact is, in my view, that the Republicans are creating new Democrats who cross over from their prior support of the Republican platform...due to both their actions as well as inaction.

I am not equating Republicans with conservatives. I am talking about the party and not about the conservative platform it once paid more than lip service to.

This is what we can expect when each side basically says "fuck you" to the other side when they have the numbers, and then "cries foul" when they don't.

We, the people, are the ones who pay the price for that vanity.
    That's how I see it.

The GOP has basically fucked themselves. John Kasich was right.

The VA election is just the beginning of a pretty serious backlash against the GOP, now the Grand old Party of Trump.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-06-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I love Northern Virginia; beautiful place. Unfortunately, it’s not the South anymore, and hasn’t been for awhile.
    Last edited by LSP552; 11-06-2019 at 10:19 AM.

PWC just elected a Soros-backed Sherif.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    This.

The counties are mainly red. Pressure sherriffs and CA's to simply not prosecute any hairbrained gun laws. Challenge this stuff in court.

...and now everybody can see why trying to get rid of Trump before 2020 is such a priority to the left. Because if he appoints more pro-gun judges it's an avenue of giving Heller teeth and stopping this kind of bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    That's how I see it.

The VA election is just the beginning of a pretty serious backlash against the GOP, now the Grand old Party of Trump.
    This is the most idiotic statement ever.

This election is the end result of an over 50 year effort to re-engineer the demographics of the US. An effort that the Republicans didn't do fuck-all for until 2016. And still really haven't done anything outside of upping the rhetoric.

Which means you haven't been paying attention to Virginia politics.

Terry Macauliffe won the governorship in Virginia years ago with the assistance of the Republican establishment in Virginia. And elsewhere.

Ken Cucinelli was the Republican nominee. The serving Lt. Governor, a Republican, campaigned for Macauliffa. Ken was a principled outsider, one of the most staunchly pro-gun people in the Virginia senate. He always authored pro-gun legislation to do things like remove the restriction on carrying in establishments that serve alcohol by permit holders. Half the Republican party officials in Virginia hated his guts due to a number of principled stands he made while in the senate, his association with the Tea Party, and some efforts by organizations he was associated with that looked to primary wishy-washy GOP types at the federal level. Republicans in Richmond and DC were none too pleased when he won the nomination to be governor.

His funding was significantly impacted by Republicans at the highest levels who had problems with him. Especially Mitch McConnell...which is playing out yet again in Cucinelli's nomination.

As a result he was outspent about 10:1 in the last weeks of the campaign. And that was happening as a trumped up federal bribery investigation was going on...which happened to coincide exactly with the timing of the election. Some coincidence, especially seeing how the Clinton bag man was running for governor.

Macauliffe won by 56,000 votes. That's with a bunch of Virginia Republicans campaigning for him, a 10:1 spend advantage, a fake "libertarian" candidate pulling 6% of the vote, and a corruption scandal that was so ridiculous that the USSC vacated McDonnel's conviction 8-0. Not that it mattered at that point as the objective had been served.

Terry Mac, in true Clintonian fashion, then went about doing everything possible to secure more votes. Notably by giving 200,000 felons voting rights again. First he attempted en-masse and the Virginia Supreme Court shut that down. So he "signed" 200,000 + individual restorations.

Hillary won Virginia by...212,000 votes.

Orange Man Bad didn't produce this result. Fuck, in 25% of the state senate seats the Republicans in Virginia didn't even run a candidate.

The Republican party in Virginia is ate the fuck up with traitorous losers who have been far too interested in promoting their personal self interest over the interest of even what is good for the party, including campaigning for the other fucking team. Because Cucinelli man BAD.

Sounds awful fucking familiar, right?

To some degree that may be the case,
    It is significantly the case and has been a direct aim of resettling "immigrants" and "refugees" in various places in Virginia. That plus the enormous growth in the federal government (which mostly lives in Maryland and Northern Virginia) over the last decade brought a bunch more people into NOVA who share the same attitudes about their fellow citizens evidenced in the Strzock and Paige texts.

So while I know you'd like to find a way to implicate Trump in this, the thing has been going on long before Trump was ever on the scene.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 11-06-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    That's how I see it.

Which, again, means you haven't been paying attention to Virginia politics for longer than 5 minutes.

John Kasich is a fucking idiot and is EXACTLY the sort of "Republican" who has helped guarantee this sort of result.
    3/15/2016

CWM11B

It's always the old saw about people coming from the northeast or other traditionally liberal areas who are at fault. To some degree that may be the case...

Pretty much concur with your post, but on this snippet, from my perspective it is quite a bit more than a mere degree, especially in the RDU area. That said, there is no shortage of home grown stupidity. The biggest fall is in who is now running city councils. In the glory days of NC, for example, those who range the cities had serious skin in the game. Most names aren't immediately recognizable to any but locals, however in my city the names Reynolds and Hanes probably are, as in Durham Duke is. Now, most city councils are held by folks who were marginally employed if at all, with no experience creating jobs, infrastructure, etc. They basically run on the Santa Claus platform which is hard to beat, yet harder still to pay for.
    I despise both political parties and haven't been a member of one for almost forty years. I try to remember that we aren't nearly as divided as we have been in the past, but damn if I dont wish I was in a position to sell off most of my stuff, downsize and move to a carribean or South Pacific isle and let this looney bin run itself into the ground

User Tag List