Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Virginia Elections

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    A few thoughts...

- I don't think there's any vast conspiracy to resettle millions of refugees or import commie liberals into VA. Northern VA is close to a major global city thats also the seat of government, that has a huge tech industry and a shit ton of government contractors so it's an attractive place for younger people to move to. For the most part, younger people are more liberal.

-VA GOP has been a soup sandwich for the last decade. While the entire state has become more liberal, they decide to double down on shit like banning and limiting abortions, bitching about and trying to block Medicare expansion, and checking immigration status of people stopped by the local law enforcement. Run candidates that can win instead of blowhard conservatives like Cuccinelli and carpetbagging radical fucks like Corey Stewart

-VCDL has done a shitty job with messaging; and a pretty good job with lawsuits and pressuring candidates to support (or at least not block) firearm laws. All these gun groups need to figure out a better way to reach different audiences. Personally, I'd have all sorts of facts and stats about the ties between gun control and Jim Crow laws with examples of historical black 2A supporters like Robert F Williams, Deacons for Defense, etc.
    Part of the success we had was that Otis McDonald was an African American man. It undercut the message that gun rights was a white man thing.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I've watched the hipster douche bag vibe grow in Winchester, Front Royal, and down 81 for the last decade. There's a sense of "how did this happen?!" tonight that I'm hoping inspires a voter response. If they go after guns, that will be more likely.

Not a good day for VA as mocking MD's probably no longer an option.

How are the VA gun stores looking? I know after Obama won 2008 VA stores were pretty bare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    How are the VA gun stores looking? I know after Obama won 2008 VA stores were pretty bare.
    The next nations show is bound to be chaos.

Three years ago we had no chance at the judiciary and our hope rested uneasily at the state level. The low-hanging fruit had been picked and the remaining legislatures were in large measure unfriendly. Now, thanks to Trump and his Originalist appointees we are accumulating judges, many at the Court of Appeal level. Some CAs (the last court before SCOTUS) have already been flipped. Others are on the edge. The Supreme Court is now 5-4 (possibly soon to be 6-3). The Court has agreed to hear and decide the New York Rifle & Pistol Association v New York City petition (see below). Five other gun cases are on "hold" pending the NYR&PA decision. To put this in perspective, the last significant Supreme Court 2nd Amendment case was McDonald ​in 2010. We are leaving a 9 year drought with the probability of six (total) important gun cases being favorably decided by the end of June, 2020.

There are three parts to the Second Amendment. The "Keep" portion was answered by "Heller" (2008), leaving "Bear" and "Infringed" hanging. Three of the five presently held cases address "Bear", and the remaining two respond to "Infringed" (Mance with out-of-state purchases and Pena with rostered sales.) We won't see another inflection point like this in our lifetimes. This is not the time to become fretful.

Reference: https://www.supremecourt.gov/docket/docket.aspx

NYSR&PA v NYC (Docket 18-280)

CERT. GRANTED 1/22/2019

The questions presented are: Whether the City's ban on transporting a licensed, locked, and unloaded handgun to a home or shooting range outside city limits is consistent with the Second Amendment, the Commerce Clause, and the constitutional right to travel.
    ………………………………………………………………………………………………

SCOTUS Gun Cases “Held” Pending NYSR&PA:

Bear: Rogers v Grewal (Docket 18-824)
    The questions presented are: 1. Whether the Second Amendment protects the right to carry a firearm outside the home for self defense. 2. Whether the government may deny categorically the exercise of the right to carry a firearm outside the home to typical law-abiding citizens by conditioning the exercise of the right on a showing of a special need to carry a firearm
    Bear: Gould v Lipson (Docket 18-1272)
    The questions presented are: 1. Whether the Second Amendment protects the right to carry a firearm outside the home for self defense. 2. Whether the government may deny categorically the exercise of the right to carry a firearm outside the home to typical law-abiding citizens by conditioning the exercise of the right on a showing of a special need to carry a firearm.
    Bear: Cheeseman v Pollillo (Docket 19-27)
    The question presented is: 1. Whether States can limit the ability to bear handguns outside the home to only those found to have a sufficiently heightened “need” for self-protection.
    Interstate Sales: Mance v Barr (Docket 18-663)
    The question presented is: Whether prohibiting interstate handgun sales, facially or as-applied to consumers whose home jurisdictions authorize such transactions, violates the Second Amendment and the equal protection component of the Fifth Amendment’s Due Process Clause.
    Handgun Rosters: Pena v Horan (Docket 18-843)
    The question presented is: Whether California’s “Unsafe Handgun Act,” Cal. Penal Code § 31900 et seq., violates the Second Amendment by banning handguns of the kind in common use for traditional lawful purposes

Virginia over the next year, should be a dry run for what a Democratic sweep of the House, Senate and the White House would look like. Discussing his with YVK tonight, I told him if the Dems sweep all three branches next year, I am moving to Ukraine.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    You aren't kidding. That one is the weekend before Thanksgiving. I won't be there, I'll be up in the woods camping and hunting.

As for leaving VA, I'm stuck here until at least my youngest daughter is out of school and in college. My oldest is a junior in HS and the younger one is in 6th grade. Both are doing very well in school (the type of grades that earn scholarships), I can't uproot them at this stage.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Three years ago we had no chance at the judiciary and our hope rested uneasily at the state level. The low-hanging fruit had been picked and the remaining legislatures were in large measure unfriendly. Now, thanks to Trump and his Originalist appointees we are accumulating judges, many at the Court of Appeal level. Some CAs (the last court before SCOTUS) have already been flipped. Others are on the edge. The Supreme Court is now 5-4 (possibly soon to be 6-3). The Court has agreed to hear and decide the New York Rifle & Pistol Association v New York City petition (see below). Five other gun cases are on "hold" pending the NYR&PA decision. To put this in perspective, the last significant Supreme Court 2nd Amendment case was McDonald ​in 2010. We are leaving a 9 year drought with the probability of six (total) important gun cases being favorably decided by the end of June, 2020.

There are three parts to the Second Amendment. The "Keep" portion was answered by "Heller" (2008), leaving "Bear" and "Infringed" hanging. Three of the five presently held cases address "Bear", and the remaining two respond to "Infringed" (Mance with out-of-state purchases and Pena with rostered sales.) We won't see another inflection point like this in our lifetimes. This is not the time to become fretful.

Reference: https://www.supremecourt.gov/docket/docket.aspx

NYSR&PA v NYC (Docket 18-280)

CERT. GRANTED 1/22/2019

The questions presented are: Whether the City's ban on transporting a licensed, locked, and unloaded handgun to a home or shooting range outside city limits is consistent with the Second Amendment, the Commerce Clause, and the constitutional right to travel.
    ………………………………………………………………………………………………

SCOTUS Gun Cases “Held” Pending NYSR&PA:

Bear: Rogers v Grewal (Docket 18-824)
    The questions presented are: 1. Whether the Second Amendment protects the right to carry a firearm outside the home for self defense. 2. Whether the government may deny categorically the exercise of the right to carry a firearm outside the home to typical law-abiding citizens by conditioning the exercise of the right on a showing of a special need to carry a firearm
    Bear: Gould v Lipson (Docket 18-1272)
    The questions presented are: 1. Whether the Second Amendment protects the right to carry a firearm outside the home for self defense. 2. Whether the government may deny categorically the exercise of the right to carry a firearm outside the home to typical law-abiding citizens by conditioning the exercise of the right on a showing of a special need to carry a firearm.
    Bear: Cheeseman v Pollillo (Docket 19-27)
    The question presented is: 1. Whether States can limit the ability to bear handguns outside the home to only those found to have a sufficiently heightened “need” for self-protection.
    Interstate Sales: Mance v Barr (Docket 18-663)
    The question presented is: Whether prohibiting interstate handgun sales, facially or as-applied to consumers whose home jurisdictions authorize such transactions, violates the Second Amendment and the equal protection component of the Fifth Amendment’s Due Process Clause.
    Handgun Rosters: Pena v Horan (Docket 18-843)
    The question presented is: Whether California’s “Unsafe Handgun Act,” Cal. Penal Code § 31900 et seq., violates the Second Amendment by banning handguns of the kind in common use for traditional lawful purposes
    There are also two additional cases that are now on cert to SCOTUS as well. Malpasso, which is another bear/carry case, and Worman, which is a case challenging Massachusetts' semi-auto ban.

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    A few thoughts...

- I don't think there's any vast conspiracy to resettle millions of refugees or import commie liberals into VA. Northern VA is close to a major global city thats also the seat of government, that has a huge tech industry and a shit ton of government contractors so it's an attractive place for younger people to move to. For the most part, younger people are more liberal.

-VA GOP has been a soup sandwich for the last decade. While the entire state has become more liberal, they decide to double down on shit like banning and limiting abortions, bitching about and trying to block Medicare expansion, and checking immigration status of people stopped by the local law enforcement. Run candidates that can win instead of blowhard conservatives like Cuccinelli and carpetbagging radical fucks like Corey Stewart

-VCDL has done a shitty job with messaging; and a pretty good job with lawsuits and pressuring candidates to support (or at least not block) firearm laws. All these gun groups need to figure out a better way to reach different audiences. Personally, I'd have all sorts of facts and stats about the ties between gun control and Jim Crow laws with examples of historical black 2A supporters like Robert F Williams, Deacons for Defense, etc.
    Excellent post, my friend.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    If only the Commonwealth’s gun owners voted and engaged in constructive activism with the same gusto.....I personally know several gun owners,hunters and shooters who opted to stay on the couch on Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List