Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .357 load data for 135 grain plated bullets with unique?

.357 load data for 135 grain plated bullets with unique?

Just wondering what you guys are using.

I'm getting leading with my hardcast loads when using unique but none with 2400. Since I have an 8lbs jug of unique I'd like to use it. Since I carry 125gr golden sabers I'd like something going 12-1300fps.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Just wondering what you guys are using.

I'm getting leading with my hardcast loads when using unique but none with 2400. Since I have an 8lbs jug of unique I'd like to use it. Since I carry 125gr golden sabers I'd like something going 12-1300fps.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...3&cartridge=28

You may be running your hardcast too slow to obturate if you are getting leading. A heavy dose of 2400 probably isn't going to have that problem. Unique will work in magnum cartridges but generally isn't good at getting magnum velocities and pressures. Good for light to moderate loads.

I've found that I have to treat plated very similar to swaged lead. They are just a soft lead with a thin copper plating. 1200-1300 is pushing them well past where I'd be using them unless they are some of the thick plated Berrys or similar.

Hi-Tek coated hardcast are much better and cheaper to boot. I don't think you can push them hard enough in a handgun to defeat the coating. They're not quite as clean as plated or JHP but drastically better than wax lubed lead. They would be a good use for your jug of Unique.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 11-05-2019 at 10:36 PM.

You need to go to castboolits.com and search there. The site has the typical issues of one with a lot of members, but there are serious cast bullet SMEs there.

There are also some articles on this site: http://www.lasc.us/
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    My experience with plated bullets at those velocities is that they tumble and become inaccurate.

I think we used berry's plated in 115 gr 9mm and had that problem pushing them too fast. 230 gr 45 ACP at 900 fps was great.

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    You may be running your hardcast too slow to obturate if you are getting leading. A heavy dose of 2400 probably isn't going to have that problem. Unique will work in magnum cartridges but generally isn't good at getting magnum velocities and pressures. Good for light to moderate loads.

I've found that I have to treat plated very similar to swaged lead. They are just a soft lead with a thin copper plating. 1200-1300 is pushing them well past where I'd be using them unless they are some of the thick plated Berrys or similar.

Hi-Tek coated hardcast are much better and cheaper to boot. I don't think you can push them hard enough in a handgun to defeat the coating. They're not quite as clean as plated or JHP but drastically better than wax lubed lead. They would be a good use for your jug of Unique.
    Yeah, I need to try some of the coated bullets.

I use 7gr unique in the mag loads.

The plated bullets are from Speer. I thought I've read they're harder and can get pushed faster.

I've had great luck with Missouri Bullet company coated bullets, even out of a 18.5" lever gun.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post

I do the same, load plated bullets using cast lead data.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I thought I've read they're harder and can get pushed faster.
    The experts say that correct sizing is more important than hardness.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List