Thread: RFI- Samsung music players

RFI- Samsung music players

Got a new (to me anyway) Samsung Galaxy 9.
    Now the question is what music player should I get for it?

I would like something fairly simple that plays the MP3s I already have, and doesn't need to use my expensive 3rd world internet to play stuff I don't directly want.
    Lack of popups would also be nice.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I've always used VLC, made by the same VLC as the one you use on a laptop/desktop.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Since you’re not Apple Ubermensch, Spotify is a good choice (my wife uses it) or Amazon if you already have a Prime account.

Pay the $10/mo and join the new millennium, brah.

But last I checked, Winamp is still a viable Android option. That might be old/outdated info.
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 11-04-2019 at 06:02 PM.

another vote for VLC.
    Last edited by Dan_S; 11-04-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Went with the VLC.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I'm using Foobar2000. One of my requirements was FLAC support. Not sure why, but VLC didn't come up on my list of candidates. I'm going to give it a try. Foobar2000 is fine, but always open to "better".

Chris

Site Supporter
    I've used Pi, Winamp, and VLC.

VLC works well and I like the all-business nature of it. Pi had some nice features for playlisting but about a year ago added a stupid youtube-linked homepage that requires some effort to avoid/remove in the configuration settings.

I loved, absolutely loved Winamp, and I hope someone reboots the brand and updates the software and app to bring that same all-function and moddability to the 21st century without all the fluff and bullshit most media players come with these days.

Starting from scratch, I'd try both Pi and VLC and see which one fits better for you. Both are free.

Edit: For streaming services, Spotify is by far my hands-down favorite vs Pandora and Apple.
    Last edited by JRB; 11-05-2019 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Starting from scratch, I'd try both Pi and VLC and see which one fits better for you. Both are free.
    Thanks for that. I had been using a really old version of the Winamp player, and it was getting pretty long in the tooth (I still use the desktop version, however). I decided to give both a spin.
    Last edited by Guerrero; 11-05-2019 at 05:14 PM.

User Tag List