Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colt 01991 series with factory upgrades?

So this seller says that he's had several colt come from Colt with the N.M. barrel. 1911forum is confirming this too. But all have the standard hammer/grip safety. The blued ones I see have double diamond grips, whereas the stainless ones have black grips.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/831415461

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    So this seller says that he's had several colt come from Colt with the N.M. barrel. 1911forum is confirming this too. But all have the standard hammer/grip safety. The blued ones I see have double diamond grips, whereas the stainless ones have black grips.

I did read on the Colt forum of some with NM barrels out there prior, interesting stuff for sure! I'm super lucky I guess! Lol

Cool

Now go out and buy a Powerball lottery ticket!

Best, Jon

Site Supporter

A smith that used to work for a OEM parts supplier told me once, that he believed the N.M. barrels to just be the first barrels cut with new tooling. Every time colt changed the cutters for the rifling and chambers, the first batch were designated for the National Match designation. Made sense to me at the time. Maybe the PF'ers that have a relationship with Evolution Armory can ask Dave to confirm/deny...
    That would explain why the Colt Commander I got a few years back wouldn't hold a dinner plate at 25 yards. Between the accuracy that was slightly better than a first gen M&P9 but considerably worse than a G19, the standing on the link and the garbage fit of the extractor, I pretty much rolled my eyes every time I heard someone say Colt was "making the best 1911s they've ever made"

A new barrel fixed the issue, and I still own, shoot and carry the gun...but it took a bit of work to love that gun.

Glad the OP has had a good experience. Looks like a pistol that has almost everything you need and nothing you don't.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Looks like a pistol that has almost everything you need and nothing you don't.
    yup, looks like a score, if the price was right. Personally, I would have rather had sights, than a beavertail, if it were one or the other

I doubt my luck is good enough for a lottery ticket, would be nice though! I'm super happy with it, will post a picture when I get the new grips installed and send some rounds through it. I don't hate the sights, they're not novaks of course but they point well and are solid. Plus I am a large person with large hands so the beavertail actually helps more than I would have thought!
    Last edited by Fordtough25; 11-06-2019 at 07:07 AM.

Site Supporter

That seller is local to me and I do all of my business with them. I saw some of the Series 80 guns they had with the NM barrels. Other than that they are just typical Series 80s. Colt has done that before, but recently they made batches of both Series 70 and Series 80 guns with features not typical of each model. For example, the most recent batch of stainless S70 Repros were made with widened ejection ports and the slide catch notch further to the rear -- making them essentially the same as the new 1911 Classic model except with an arched main spring housing and different roll marks.

The Series 80 Government (1990) and Series 70 Repro models are no longer in production at Colt. They have both been replaced in the lineup by the 1911 Classic, which can be had in 45 ACP and Super 38 blued and stainless.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    That seller is local to me and I do all of my business with them. I saw some of the Series 80 guns they had with the NM barrels. Other than that they are just typical Series 80s. Colt has done that before, but recently they made batches of both Series 70 and Series 80 guns with features not typical of each model. For example, the most recent batch of stainless S70 Repros were made with widened ejection ports and the slide catch notch further to the rear -- making them essentially the same as the new 1911 Classic model except with an arched main spring housing and different roll marks.

The Series 80 Government (1990) and Series 70 Repro models are no longer in production at Colt. They have both been replaced in the lineup by the 1911 Classic, which can be had in 45 ACP and Super 38 blued and stainless.

Them cutting the 80 series Government model would make them using all/any parts a lot more sense! Thanks!

Good looking gun for sure! How do you like the VZs. I have a set of the operators on my MC Operator and absolutely love them.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Good looking gun for sure! How do you like the VZs. I have a set of the operators on my MC Operator and absolutely love them.

Will let you know soon, they should arrive today or tomorrow! I had a Springfield operator back in the day with VZ's and I really thought they worked well so I have high hopes!

User Tag List