Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt 01991 series with factory upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I had something similar in the 1990s it was a Colt custom shop limited run. It was parkerized and had the big “M1991” roll mark and an actual fitted safety.
    I had one of those about the same time too. I knew very little about 1911’s at the time and it wouldn’t run. If I remember correctly I traded it off on a Gen 2 21.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

@Fordtough25, can you take a picture of the sticker on the Colt case? You can cover the serial number.

And I can’t recall the last time Colt installed a drop-in beavertail.

Attachment 44441

Box stickers, thanks

Name:  coltbox1.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  34.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    @Fordtough25, can you take a picture of the sticker on the Colt case? You can cover the serial number.

And I can’t recall the last time Colt installed a drop-in beavertail.

Attachment 44441

I have no idea, it feels smooth and looks natural to the pistol. It also has the different hammer and national match barrel for what it's worth. It still has the factory oil all over the pistol so had to come this way?

The box sticker leads me to believe that the upgrades are exemplary of fortitious parts bin engineering, as opposed to a special order SKU. Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    The box sticker leads me to believe that the upgrades are exemplary of fortitious parts bin engineering, as opposed to a special order SKU. Best, Jon
    I concur, it suits me fine as they are good upgrades for a carry 1911 and ones my other 45's do not have!

Quote Originally Posted by Fordtough25 View Post
    Box stickers, thanks

Generic box also. They slipped a speckled puppy into that box. No worries, nice pistol.

I have several 01991's. Sometimes you can luck out and get one that shoots like it has been fitted by a competent smith. I have one of those from around 2005 or so. Bushing is tight as a tick and frame to slide fit is about what you would find on a Baer. I bought it new so that was a shocker too.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Fordtough25 View Post
    Box stickers, thanks

Generic box also. They slipped a speckled puppy into that box. No worries, nice pistol with upgrades. Nobody is going to complain about that.

I have several 01991's. Sometimes you can luck out and get one that shoots like it has been fitted by a competent smith. I have one of those from around 2005 or so. Bushing is tight as a tick and frame to slide fit is about what you would find on a Baer. I bought it new so that was a shocker too.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Generic box also. They slipped a speckled puppy into that box. No worries, nice pistol with upgrades. Nobody is going to complain about that.

Nice, congrats on having a good one too! I had the regular version a few years back and it shot well, this one is pretty tight and smooth. I bet it shoots lights out if I do my part!

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Yup. It feels like they really wanted to use that hammer, then realized that they needed to radius the frame for a beavertail that would fit, or use a drop in. The shape looks wilson-ish.

A smith that used to work for a OEM parts supplier told me once, that he believed the N.M. barrels to just be the first barrels cut with new tooling. Every time colt changed the cutters for the rifling and chambers, the first batch were designated for the National Match designation. Made sense to me at the time. Maybe the PF'ers that have a relationship with Evolution Armory can ask Dave to confirm/deny...

User Tag List