Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt 01991 series with factory upgrades?

Colt 01991 series with factory upgrades?

Picked up a new Colt 80 series the other day and thought it had some nicer pieces versus the previous years models? This one came with a National Match marked barrel, a nicer hammer, and a beaver tail. Anybody else have one like this, pretty neat!

Name:  colt.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  42.7 KB

Site Supporter
    It's probably not a new model, more likely either a special run for a major distributor (e.g. Lew Horton) or one of the runs Colt does to use up parts once in a while. Either way, it's a neat gun in a good configuration. Colt has done some batches of Series 70 guns with the same features (except with a short trigger and Commander hammer) in past years. Good find.
    Last edited by Robinson; 11-04-2019 at 04:36 PM.

The beavertail looks wonky, or like a wilson drop in. What's the model number on the case?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordtough25 View Post
    Picked up a new Colt 80 series the other day and thought it had some nicer pieces versus the previous years models? This one came with a National Match marked barrel, a nicer hammer, and a beaver tail. Anybody else have one like this, pretty neat!

Name:  colt.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  42.7 KB
    I had something similar in the 1990s it was a Colt custom shop limited run. It was parkerized and had the big “M1991” roll mark and an actual fitted safety.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    The beavertail looks wonky, or like a wilson drop in. What's the model number on the case?
    Model # is 01991, beavertail feels smooth and fitment seems nice. Action is super slick, I will get it wiped down and warm it up this week sometime and report back.

Site Supporter
    Nice Colt

As Robinson mentioned, Colt is somewhat famous these days for coming up with some interesting tangents off their base models. They seem to make enough of them to warrant a special entry at Bud's as a distributor special; at least that seems to be the moniker attached to them. There's probably an equal chance that they're convenient hangers for spare or excess parts inventory parts absorption, sometimes from discontinued model inventory. On the plus side, as yours, usually they make sense and are aesthetically decent.

Colt has done this sort of fiddling around for years, so I doubt that there's any significant additional value to be derived from an investment standpoint, but you've got a very nice, and eminently usable 1911.

However, one thing you might want to look closely at and change are the grips-nice as they look, they don't seem to be providing any support to the plunger tube.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 11-05-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    As Robinson mentioned, Colt is somewhat famous these days for coming up with some interesting tangents off their base models. They seem to make enough of them to warrant a special entry at Bud's as a distributor special; at least that seems to be the moniker attached to them. There's probably an equal chance that they're convenient hangers for spare or excess parts inventory parts absorption, sometimes from discontinued model inventory. On the plus side, as yours, usually they make sense and are aesthetically decent.

Colt has done this sort of fiddling around for years, so I doubt that there's any significant additional value to be derived from an investment standpoint, but you've got a very nice, and eminently usable 1911.

However, one thing you might want to look closely at and change are the grips-nice as they look, they don't seem to be providing any support to the plunger tube.

Best, Jon
    Thanks for the post I appreciate the information! I really like it, kind of came with the features I would want without anything I don't need? I do plan on changing the grips, will be snagging a set of G10 somethings soon. After I run a few hundred rounds through it and establish a good knowledge I plan on carrying it this winter.

Just snagged these, they look grippy and supportive. VZ Gunner grips, USMC designed!

Name:  usmc g10.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  59.3 KB

Excellent choice-they'll provide a better grip and more plunger tube support. And they should look pretty decent on your blued 1991.

Best, Jon

User Tag List