Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Colt 01991 series with factory upgrades?

That's a spiffy pistol, I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment.

There is just something about a Colt 1911 with a neat rollmark that always brings a smile to my face. It was my first centerfire pistol I "owned" and age 16.

Congrats on getting a neat one!

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    That's a spiffy pistol, I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment.

There is just something about a Colt 1911 with a neat rollmark that always brings a smile to my face. It was my first centerfire pistol I "owned" and age 16.

Congrats on getting a neat one!
    Thank you! I agree that while there are many awesome 1911's out there a good Colt brings a smile, my first handgun experience was my uncles Colt from WW2!! He would take me to the range when I was a teenager and let me shoot it and his M1 Garand and Browning A5. I sure miss him, I will always think fondly of him and my Father in law when shooting and carrying this! Grips should be here today hopefully also!

Site Supporter
    What grips did you go with?

VZ Gunner grips, USMC designed

Name:  usmc g10.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  59.3 KB

I run the VZ operators on 2 of my 1911s. I have frags on another and a set of the diamond style that are waiting for an appropriate mate, haha. I love the grips for some hard use. Especially in the heat and rainy/snowy weather.

Name:  c19.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  32.5 KB

Talk about a solid grip with these bad boys, wow!

Site Supporter
    We need to talk about your grip.

Just kidding. Looking good.

Much as I like Colts and 1911s in general, the standard grip safety allows the hammer to bite me. So that Wilson type drop-in grip safety makes sense to me. I've bought my share, no, more than my share, of Colts since the early '70s; Governments, Gold Cups, Commanders, and a couple of the Colt Custom Shop SCGs. "Most" were decent guns. It does seem that Colt is using the "NM" roll mark on the barrels of more and more guns. I know the NM barrels are supposed to be different/better than non NM barrels. Over the last 40+ years I've owned 9 Gold Cups with NM marked barrels, IIRC. Only one GC that I can recall was purchased used. But other than one Gold Cup purchased new 40+ years ago, I've not been able to detect anything better about the Colt NM barrels. But many potential buyers seem very impressed if the barrel says NM/Match,etc. Have to admit that if I were Colt, I'd mark each and every barrel with "NM"
    Last edited by Rock185; 11-16-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks all, and no time to shoot it yet. Dry fire has happened some, trigger is smooth! Hopefully I can warm it up this weekend and report back.

Small update on this pony, I ran 600 rounds through it since receiving it and really enjoyed its accuracy and perfect function! But, I picked up another colt government model and decided to spruce this one up some more since it came with nice features anyways. Long story short I sent the slide to a gunsmith friend of mine up in the capital, Moore Gunworks. He added front cocking serrations, novak sight cuts and then the sights, tritium front and black rear. Finally cerakoted in tungston grey to complete the refinish.

I snagged a wilson three hole trigger, metal MSH, and small tactical thumb safety to enhance the frame more, just ordered a set of black/grey VZ operator 2's with the super scoop to finish it. I'll post before and after pics when I get the slide back but here it is after his work!

Name:  colt1.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  34.9 KBName:  colt2.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  37.2 KB

He's waiting on the correct front sight to finish it and send back to me, can't wait!!

User Tag List