Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To stage or not to stage?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I say pull straight through. But then I learned DA trigger control shooting Police PPC in the mid-1970s. The masters of that game shot DA even at 50 yards.

Dave
    My 50 yard stages were better DA than SA. It was pretty common for bull guns in those days not have a SA option.

I pull straight through in action shooting, but I stage the trigger (slow to slooow down the pull very deliberately) when doing accuracy work. All my revolvers are S&W pre-lock and have normal, smooth but factory weight trigger pulls, no trigger stops or any addition.

It works very well for me, and I cycle the trigger slower when doing long range shooting (75-200 m), just a little slower when the target is closer and with lower recoiling revolvers.

I became so accustomed to precise DA shooting that I could normally shoot just as accurate (sometimes better) shooting for groups in DA compared to SA. And I'm talking small groups, about 2" standing, two hands, at 25 yds in my "good days". With magnum revolvers the follow through was more natural and the the two handed grip "plattform" (and thus recoil and POI) more consistent.
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 11-05-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    My 50 yard stages were better DA than SA. It was pretty common for bull guns in those days not have a SA option.
    Those who never learned double action shooting doubt that the technique allows one to shoot more accurately by using it and not single action trigger method. An exception would be one hand shooting as in bullseye target shooting. Looking back, I realize that double action shooters spent much time and effort to master the technique. Too, most of this shooting was conducted with .38 Spl wadcutters. Few graduated to firing magnum loads. They practiced with light loads.
    Using my 6 inch .357 Mag Mod 28, I could shoot good groups with magnum ammo. The N frame's weight tamed recoil. But when shooting .41 or .44 Magnum ammo through the same N frames, I shot less well. I noticed that when the big revolvers shifted in my grip, group size increased. Then I noticed that in practice with these big boomers, and when shooting bang, bang, bang, I started flinching.

I advocate learning to shoot revolvers via the d.a. method. For defense shooting it's a must. Be aware, though, that as we move up to heavy recoiling cartridge/gun combinations, mastery becomes more difficult. However, we can not make a case for using the single action technique in defense shooting. One reason is that cocking the hammer is folly. ND probability increases, and what do you do if you don't shoot? You must let the hammer back down. At the same time, you moved the cylinder one more turn, and that live round is out of sequence.

One last thought....I would never use SA in an actual self-defense shooting against humans.

I have never missed having the SA option on my 640. I rarely shoot any of my revolvers SA.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 11-05-2019 at 04:28 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I usually pull straight through. I might adjust the speed depending on circumstances.

However, I sometimes stage when shooting slow fire groups. If the revolver has a good smooth action, I can pull through and feel when the bolt locks up, and I hesitate for a split second to make sure the sight picture is right. Almost like a 2 stage trigger.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I usually pull straight through. I might adjust the speed depending on circumstances.

However, I sometimes stage when shooting slow fire groups. If the revolver has a good smooth action, I can pull through and feel when the bolt locks up, and I hesitate for a split second to make sure the sight picture is right. Almost like a 2 stage trigger.
    You are probably skilled enough that you can get away with this. However for the majority of shooters it’s a recipe for a dropped shot.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You are probably skilled enough that you can get away with this. However for the majority of shooters it’s a recipe for a dropped shot.
    I can firmly say I'm not skilled enough to get away with it. Staging vastly increases my risk of throwing a shot. If I catch myself doing it I make myself completely reset the trigger and start over.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post

That's the way I do it too.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I can do it with the right revolver. I have one revolver, I forget which one, that locks up on 5 chambers just before the hammer falls and the sixth chamber only locks up as the hammer falls. Exciting times.

Thanks again for all the insight everybody... Working on the DA will be my focus...I might try to have the action of my GP100 worked over, since its not as smooth as the S&W.. Finding a gunsmith that still has the skill to do that might be a challenge though..

Regards jumme

User Tag List