Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To stage or not to stage?

Smile To stage or not to stage?

Hi everybody,

As a child of the wondernine era and being from across the pond, revolvers were never my thing.. Growing up in 9mm country, it was just natural to go the semi auto route after getting into centerfire shooting and dont give the wheelgun a second thought...

Well, that changed a bit for me.. A real good friend and avid revolver shooter from the US sparked that flame for me when visiting and doing some casual shooting!

Revolver shooting is fun, so now lets try to get better at it.. Got a GP100 and several S&W's over the months and started practising.. Commited to shooting only double action but am not sure what is the best technique: staging or pull thru...
    So I hope I can get some advice from the experienced revolvershooters on this forum... Your help/insight is much appreciated!

Regards from across the big pond😊

Jumme

Yes. No. Situation dependent.
    Last edited by Hizzie; 11-03-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Pull through.

You can vary the speed but IME staging (actually stopping the trigger and waiting for the “perfect moment” leads to anticipation and throwing shots low half the time (or more). Some PPC shooters talk about staging but when you dig into it most of those are actually just changing speed but keeping the trigger moving.

@LSP552

IMO learning to stage the trigger is a waste of time if you are just starting out with revolvers. Master the basics, which is a consistently smooth DA trigger pull then fool around with staging the trigger.

I was taught how to stage a trigger when I first started carrying a revolver and I never actually used that technique outside of the range. When I did stage the trigger I didn’t notice any increase in accuracy over just using a consistent “rolling” DA trigger.

YMMV
    Last edited by KPD; 11-03-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumme View Post
    Hi everybody,

As a child of the wondernine era and being from across the pond, revolvers were never my thing.. Growing up in 9mm country, it was just natural to go the semi auto route after getting into centerfire shooting and dont give the wheelgun a second thought...

Well, that changed a bit for me.. A real good friend and avid revolver shooter from the US sparked that flame for me when visiting and doing some casual shooting!

Revolver shooting is fun, so now lets try to get better at it.. Got a GP100 and several S&W's over the months and started practising.. Commited to shooting only double action but am not sure what is the best technique: staging or pull thru...
    So I hope I can get some advice from the experienced revolvershooters on this forum... Your help/insight is much appreciated!

Regards from across the big pond😊

Jumme
    Generally, pull-through. I stage the trigger on my Trooper sometimes because it is quite heavy, but it is pointless on lighter triggers for me.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I have tried staging before. The idea is to refine the sight picture right before firing, resulting in a more accurate shot. For me staging a shot causes me to be more jittery, trying for that perfection. Then you may need to take a breath before pulling the trigger, or worse still, feel like you are suffocating.....all of which interrupts your concentration.

Shoot combat style. Line up the sights on the target, then evenly pull the trigger all the way through until the firearm discharges. If you ever use a firearm for self-defense, you want to line up the shot say on center mass, then fire.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    center mass
    Sigh.

Are you target shooting? Bullseye?

Or defensive/practical?

I got a LCR 9mm for my wife, and I’ve been playing with it. I am not a revolver guy, but find myself liking it. A friend showed me how to stage the trigger, and I immediately said “no fucking way”. This seems so wrong. But then again, I’m a TDA shooter.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I don’t think it’s safe, unless you’re just playing on a range. I had a Ruger SP101 .38 Sp only, and it did stage very easily. My S&W, and recently sold Colt revolvers do not stage easily, because their triggers are just to smooth. In a self defense situation, it would be reckless to try to stage a trigger. I’d use DA or SA only, and my 1972 Model 60 has a hair trigger in SA.

User Tag List