Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Experience with the Surefire Headlamps?

I have both the Minimus and Maximus. I like the lighter weight of the Minimus, but really like the rechargeable battery (and significantly greater output) of the Maximus. I don't use it for anything particularly high-speed—mostly detailing the car after sundown. I use a Black Diamond for running, and while that's a decent light for that niche purpose, its switchology really makes me appreciate the simplicity of the rotary switch on the SureFires.

Site Supporter
    I have two old school Surefire Minimus (100 lumen) and they are holding up well. Good lights.

I have also used a bunch of Black Diamond lights.

Use ranging from long distance thru-hikes and fighting fire and everyday stuff.

Surefire is worth the coin and if you roll with CR123 batteries then it is the right path. I typically roll with Black Diamond AAA headlamps for most everything due to batteries being available and they roll with enough lumens and weight is about 3 ounces (light). But yea that turn on off setting thing can make you lose your shit.

With now carrying a battery pack (10000 ma) to keep my phone and headphones charged I think the future is rolling rechargeable. The shit keeps a charge for a long time, it’s not 1996 anymore. Not needing batteries and being able to plug the device straight in seems killer.

I am already charging my phone, battery pack, and watch each night, why not check the headlamp/flashlight?

If you just need a simple light a BD for $40 will be just fine. If you want to roll with the good stuff, why not roll Surefire?

I'll provide a counterpoint. I've gone through quite a few headlamps. My only experience with the SF Minimus is that it died on me just like every other headlamp I've had. It was brighter than other lights, but the high price and the cheesy pop on/off red lens were some of the downsides. Its probably a good light for around the house/shop or hiking/jogging if you think you need that much light attached to your forehead.

I've settled on a hand full of the Petzl and Princeton Tec headlamps in the 20 to 50 dollar range. Most run on 2 or 3 AAAs or a cr123 battery. If I need to have a headlamp, I usually pack 2 of them. When they quit working, I throw them away.

Did you send it back to Surefire? I bet they will fix or replace it. I've treated mine very poorly and they still work.

I like the red lens.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy11B3V5W View Post
    I'll provide a counterpoint. I've gone through quite a few headlamps. My only experience with the SF Minimus is that it died on me just like every other headlamp I've had. It was brighter than other lights, but the high price and the cheesy pop on/off red lens were some of the downsides. Its probably a good light for around the house/shop or hiking/jogging if you think you need that much light attached to your forehead.

I've settled on a hand full of the Petzl and Princeton Tec headlamps in the 20 to 50 dollar range. Most run on 2 or 3 AAAs or a cr123 battery. If I need to have a headlamp, I usually pack 2 of them. When they quit working, I throw them away.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I'm sure they would have. This occurred several years ago where I didn't have the best access to mail, phones and internet. Maybe they've changed the Minimus model, but the one I had utilized a removable red shroud for red light; I didn't really care for it.

Surefire has priced themselves above what I can afford. So, I buy Streamlight hand held and weapon lights. Headlamps aren't life saving equipment for me. So, I stick to the more economical options.

User Tag List