Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dump Cable for Mobile 5G Hotspot?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    [*]Avoid ANYTHING free online if you can. 99% of it is a play to capture data about you and your buying habits.
    Why do I care?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Is that $140 a month for cable and internet? How much would you save if you just dumped cable and kept the internet connection? I did that earlier this year and switched to Hulu +Live TV. Saved money and I’m happy with the channels we have.
    That’s a good idea. I just looked at Hulu plus. At $44.99, it seems to have all the channels we’d need.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    How much would you save if you just dumped cable and kept the internet connection? I did that earlier this year and switched to Hulu +Live TV. Saved money and I’m happy with the channels we have.
    That's what we did almost 2 years ago and we've been happy with the decision.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Why do I care?
    Cecil the Lion.

Walter Palmer fucked up by posting that on social media and SJWs destroyed him for it. The same thing could be done with data that you don’t release publicly, but that you might surrender if you don’t read and understand every line in the Terms & Conditions page for lots of online activities.

Search engines know where you go and which questions you ask. Vendors know what you buy. All companies collect data online. Hundreds of unnamed intermederaries buy that data, process it, and enrich it with data from other sources, then sell those enriched profiles.

Companies who buy that information usually just want to sell you stuff but it’s not hard to imagine SJWs mining data and doxing entire communities of people to advance their agendas. They don’t need high-priced data scientists to do it, either—automated tools can mine data for pretty much any user profile you select.

At that point it’s mob rule. Again, if you're not the customer, then you're the product.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 11-03-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I would wait a bit if I were you.
    Last edited by Maple Syrup Actual; 11-03-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Cecil the Lion.

Walter Palmer fucked up by posting that on social media and SJWs destroyed him for it.n
    I get that part of it. I just don't see what the equivalent could be from myfitnesspal or Garmin Connect. I'm not being (intentionally) obtuse about this, I'm just not that tech-y of a guy. Are you talking about social media or the free apps as well?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Cecil the Lion.

Walter Palmer fucked up by posting that on social media and SJWs destroyed him for it. The same thing could be done with data that you don’t release publicly, but that you might surrender if you don’t read and understand every line in the Terms & Conditions page for lots of online activities.

Search engines know where you go and which questions you ask. Vendors know what you buy. All companies collect data online. Hundreds of unnamed intermederaries buy that data, process it, and enrich it with data from other sources, then sell those enriched profiles.

Companies who buy that information usually just want to sell you stuff but it’s not hard to imagine SJWs mining data and doxing entire communities of people to advance their agendas. They don’t need high-priced data scientists to do it, either—automated tools can mine data for pretty much any user profile you select.

At that point it’s mob rule. Again, if you're not the customer, then you're the product.

Okie John
    That is an alarmist perspective. People have been trading personal data so long as commerce has existed. The local barber/ hairdresser knows more dirt then an army of alphabet soup agencies. Life nonetheless prevailed.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 11-03-2019 at 03:53 PM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    5G is nowhere near as ready as they say it is, and by the time it is ready, they'll be trying to sell us 6G.
    I showed this video and then this article to my networks class. They got a kick out of it.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I would wait a bit if I were you.
    I had written out a much better reply but it occurred to me that much of what I know is proprietary.

Broad 5g coverage is a ways out yet.

Depends on your verizon signal. Where I live it sucks.

We dumped Dish 5 years ago (don't have cable) so now it's just DSL and cell.

I would 100% like to dump DSL but it's really the only way we can stream any programing here.

I've tried to get our DSL (Frontier) to let me just have DSL but being the only hard line rural service they have me. Jacking me good with $125/mo for DSL and landline. Land line is worthless because of the junk phone calls.

If I had good a good cell signal they would be gone like a wild goose in winter. Cell 100%.

I find it interesting that new Frontier hook ups here will sell you Dish/data (package) without the voice landline for about $60/month. That tells me that dish and cable is dying pretty damn fast. When I canceled our Dish they wouldn't even come out to get the antenna.

My neighbor uses his cell exclusively for voice comms. We're 15 miles from any town.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-03-2019 at 08:18 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List