Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checked Glock keeps failing TSA explosives swab test

Checked Glock keeps failing TSA explosives swab test

Not sure what's going on here but the last few times I've flown with my G48 in a checked bag, the gun has "alarmed" on the TSA swab test resulting in a wait for a supervisor to come and re-test.

Between the first time and today, I've changed out the transport case for a new one, so that's not it.

The G48 slide was refinished in black nitride, if that's relevant. I do clean it.

Is this happening to others, or just me?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    What ammo are you shooting in it?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The test for nitrates (amongst other things) is registering a positive for the ammunition’s propellant that contains nitrates. Unless G48 is a code name for your dildo and you didn’t clean all the astroglide off it, it’s just trace residue from shooting.

The test are overly sensitive and that’s not going to change.

Edited. I don’t know why they would swab a gun case instead of just doing a physical inspection since it’s an almost guaranteed positive and inspection anyways.
    Last edited by txdpd; 10-22-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I've had the sniffer react to a daypack that was never used for carrying firearms but had been exposed to an area in the Smoky Mountains (Alum Cave) where saltpeter was mined by the Confederacy during the Civil War for gunpowder.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Edited. I don’t know why they would swab a gun case instead of just doing a physical inspection since it’s an almost guaranteed positive and inspection anyways.[/QUOTE]

Had that happen when flying back from a Gunsite carbine class. Two carbines and two pistols in a case covered with 1200+ rounds of shooting residue. No ammo. Of course it set off the swab test. Of course I needed a TSA supervisor to inspect and initial off. Took 45 minutes of waiting. Sigh.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    I don’t know why they would swab a gun case instead of just doing a physical inspection since it’s an almost guaranteed positive and inspection anyways.
    That does seem fundamentally ridiculous, which is of course par for the course with anything related to the TSA.

TSA isn't checking for gunpowder residue it's checking for "high explosive" residue that can be masked by gunpowder residue.

I've probably flown 50 times with firearms in the last decade. About 50% of the time they don't even open the case. They swab, they stick it in the machine, they say "have a nice flight Doug". I've never had them say a single thing about anything weird about my swab.

When I flew to Dallas in 2016 with three other cops my gun case tested positive on the swab. Yep waited for the TSA supervisor. He looked at it and cleared it. It took about 15 minutes.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    TSA isn't checking for gunpowder residue it's checking for "high explosive" residue that can be masked by gunpowder residue.
    But if gunpowder residue can be detected and trigger more inspections, how would that aid in smuggling explosives?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List