Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dump Cable for Mobile 5G Hotspot?

I'd be happy with cable tv or internet. Heck i'd take dsl at this point. Satellite sucks! Especially for internet.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Depends on your verizon signal. Where I live it sucks.

We dumped Dish 5 years ago (don't have cable) so now it's just DSL and cell.

I would 100% like to dump DSL but it's really the only way we can stream any programing here.

I've tried to get our DSL (Frontier) to let me just have DSL but being the only hard line rural service they have me. Jacking me good with $125/mo for DSL and landline. Land line is worthless because of the junk phone calls.

If I had good a good cell signal they would be gone like a wild goose in winter. Cell 100%.

I find it interesting that new Frontier hook ups here will sell you Dish/data (package) without the voice landline for about $60/month. That tells me that dish and cable is dying pretty damn fast. When I canceled our Dish they wouldn't even come out to get the antenna.

My neighbor uses his cell exclusively for voice comms. We're 15 miles from any town.
    Have you looked into one of the cell repeater/booster systems? It has an antenna you mount outside, pointed to the nearest tower, then runs a hard line to an amp, which then connects to an omnidirectional antenna inside your home. They're not cheap, but they work well. They're also good for getting signals into dead areas within an office building (how do you think cellphones work inside subways and such?).

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Have you looked into one of the cell repeater/booster systems? It has an antenna you mount outside, pointed to the nearest tower, then runs a hard line to an amp, which then connects to an omnidirectional antenna inside your home. They're not cheap, but they work well. They're also good for getting signals into dead areas within an office building (how do you think cellphones work inside subways and such?).

Chris
    Yes, we have one for our RV. Based on how well that one works (not real well) I haven't pursued a home antenna.

Also I haven't looked into any data packages that Verizon might offer lately. When we were using cell for internet on the road the data packages were expensive.

I'm sure things have changed in the last few years so maybe I'll investigate cell again. I'm pretty sure it will put dish and cable out of business soon enough. I can't see paying $120/mo for that crap.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Yes, we have one for our RV. Based on how well that one works (not real well) I haven't pursued a home antenna.
    I suspect the one you installed in your RV is not of the same class of device I'm referring to. The type I'm familiar with ran $900+ and was intended for corporate/professional use. The outdoor antenna was a yagi and needed to be aimed at the target tower, which reduces its utility in a mobile deployment. There were, and still are, prosumer versions, but they didn't work well.

The concept isn't all that outlandish, similar devices are used for a variety of radio-based comms.

Chris

User Tag List