Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ground level education on AK's

Get a WASR or RH10. The furniture is slightly better than particle board so replace that and you're good.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Agreed with all of the above - both the specific model advice, and Jay's comment on how AK's are so diverse and weird that it turns into 'WELL ACKTUALLY' garbage in a hurry. Just look at AK files. Ugh.

For a ground level AK for a guy new to AK's; I'd emphatically second the recommendation for a WASR 10, WASR 10/63, RH10, or Romanian made Draco.
    Century makes one, and imports another, calls them both Dracos. Get the imported one if you get one.

Also, the Magpul mags are fine in 99% of the rifles I've tried them in, and the AC-Unity mags imported by RTGParts work great as well. Don't be surprised if you need a little bit of trimming/fitting to make them fit 100% in your particular rifle.
    Surplus steel mags in good condition are ideal, but cheaper ones tend to be hit and miss; expect to disassemble and clean them out at the very least.

It's a fun road, although I think time has past on it being a cheap ish road. They work pretty solid and hit hard, like said a WASR is probably your best choice for a reliable, fun AKM clone. An Arsenal would be superb but they're high $$$ these days!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Stuff built on Soviet tooling is usually good. Back in the day the best value was the Romanian SAR-1. People figured that out and now they’re on the pricey side.
    SAR-1’s tend to pop up at pawn shops around here (I’ve seen 3 in the last year), and with the soft market they seem to have leveled off in price. I paid less for a barely used SAR-1 with the barrel already threaded than new WASR-10s are going for locally. They’re still out there if you look hard enough.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    SAR-1’s tend to pop up at pawn shops around here (I’ve seen 3 in the last year), and with the soft market they seem to have leveled off in price. I paid less for a barely used SAR-1 with the barrel already threaded than new WASR-10s are going for locally. They’re still out there if you look hard enough.
    It's always funny to me when I hear people wax on about the SAR-1. I purchased one back in the late 90s as it was one of the first AK pattern rifles I saw without the dreaded thumbhole stock that didn't cost over $1K. I quickly grew to hate the thing as it was nearly as rough as the Maddi's, the wood looked terrible, the FCG pins would walk (in fact when I got it home I realized the FCG had been installed incorrectly), and the sights were canted. It sat in the back of my safe until I found out that it's little dimples made it sought after, I quickly sold it and used the money to make my Arsenal SA-93 look like a real AK again.

Still waiting my 10 days to pick up my ZPAP (because if I was going to do bad things, I wouldn't think to use one of the rifles I already own). Hopefully they have the heat treating correct with the Zastava USA products - we will see......... The upper handguard was loose and missing it's retaining spring so I already had to order the part. Not off to a great start........

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    It's always funny to me when I hear people wax on about the SAR-1. I purchased one back in the late 90s as it was one of the first AK pattern rifles I saw without the dreaded thumbhole stock that didn't cost over $1K. I quickly grew to hate the thing as it was nearly as rough as the Maddi's, the wood looked terrible, the FCG pins would walk (in fact when I got it home I realized the FCG had been installed incorrectly), and the sights were canted. It sat in the back of my safe until I found out that it's little dimples made it sought after, I quickly sold it and used the money to make my Arsenal SA-93 look like a real AK again.

Still waiting my 10 days to pick up my ZPAP (because if I was going to do bad things, I wouldn't think to use one of the rifles I already own). Hopefully they have the heat treating correct with the Zastava USA products - we will see......... The upper handguard was loose and missing it's retaining spring so I already had to order the part. Not off to a great start........
    Incorrect FCG install was Century’s fault. Speaking of Maadi’s, have you seen the price on those? We’re not really waxing poetic about it. It’s still close to the bare minimum of “acceptable”, basically similar to the newer WASRs (where my WASR sounds like your SAR1). However, a “good” AK in today’s market is north of $1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    Incorrect FCG install was Century’s fault. Speaking of Maadi’s, have you seen the price on those? We’re not really waxing poetic about it. It’s still close to the bare minimum of “acceptable”, basically similar to the newer WASRs (where my WASR sounds like your SAR1). However, a “good” AK in today’s market is north of $1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I could have funded my retirement with mak90s and Madi’s had I had vision.

You need to check out Jim Fuller's website (Rifle Dynamics) and social media (Instagram, YouTube, etc.) He has been making and fixing AKs for a very long time and can provide you with things to look out for.

Also, check out the thread mentioned in the above posts....the AK game has changed drastically in the last 8 to 10 years. Surplus parts are not as common as they once were. Arsenal SLR and SGLs could be had at around 700 bucks back then.

At the going prices, weight of guns, lack of modularity, an AR is a much better fighting option. If it's just for fun... Have at it.

I would avoid any milled receivers - they are just too heavy and $$$ and don't necessarily result in more accuracy. I think a stamped receiver is the way to go. I would also chose 7.62x39 as it is more available.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 11-19-2019 at 03:22 PM.

If you're willing to take a gamble on a used AK, keep an eye on GT Distributors Austin's Gunbroker account.

Apparently some PD in west Texas pulled over a truck for a traffic stop and found a few cartel members and a boatload of AKs, AK ammo, and AK mags inside. They sold the guns back to GT for store credit and GT has been trickling out the AKs since then through their Austin store and their Gunbroker. NPAPs, WASRs, Norincos, VEPRs, Saigas...you name it. Most of the good stuff is spoken for but I'm fairly certain I've seen a couple of Norincos go up on the auction block recently through them.

Most of the Norincos and Polytechs are really nice guns.

User Tag List