Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ground level education on AK's

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Weren’t some of the milled receiver Arsenal’s made in the US?
    No.

oh boy

a lot of emoting in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    oh boy

a lot of emoting in this thread
    Not really. The US made AKs I mentioned all have many reports of poor build quality, losing headspace in low round counts, and many cases of them blowing up.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Ground level education on AK's

I just picked up a ZPAP which I intend to shoot as my primary carbine for the next year or two. Of course given that I live it a communist ahithole I won’t be able to take it home for over 2 weeks.

I’ll keep you all posted how it goes.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 11-02-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Weren’t some of the milled receiver Arsenal’s made in the US?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Yes.

Looks like the SA series is US made. I knew I wasn’t hallucinating.

I’ve had excellent experience with a variety of Arsenal rifles. I own a SLR107CR and previously owned a SGL31. I’ve also observed the SAM7 and SLR105 on many occasions. Never seen a problem.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Looks like the SA series is US made. I knew I wasn’t hallucinating.
    They’re made with Bulgarian 80% receiver blanks that are finished in the states and with Bulgarian parts kits. I would consider that assambled and not produced. But they do have a good reputation.

I am offended that I was not tagged for this thread.

The WASR and the Romanian RH10/M10 are the cheapest acceptable entry into the AK game. The Arsenal guns are usually pretty nice. Just understand that the hobby grade paint Arsenal uses melts with anything stronger than CLP and reveals the parkerizing underneath. Krebs builds an OK gun these days. They are not as good as when Marc did everything. Chase at Definitive Arms does a really nice build.

The Century produced American Draco (all flavors), C39, C39V2, RAK47 and VSKA are hot garbage. The N-PAP, O-PAP and M92 Zastava guns imported by Century have been plagued with heat treat issues and are a No Go in my book. Palmetto State Armory guns have been crap so far. They may have finally gotten the bugs worked out of that 9mm AK of theirs but I’m not sure. The one I saw died after just two mags.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

– And these are by the way these are made in Bulgaria, but they’re 922 compliant right? – [Ryan] It’s a Bulgarian receiver and barrel, everything else is manufactured in Las Vegas.

– [James] Okay and you guys have your own manufacturing facilities here? – We do, we can 100% manufacture a rifle here.

We do one series of that, the SAM7 Classic, that has the blonde wood furniture.

U.S. milled receivers they cost a little bit more.

That ones about $2,000.

[James] Holy moly.

– [Ryan] MSRP on that’s $1450 and SBR is $2499.

Look, Kalashnikov threads can and do rapidly turn into WELL ACKSHUALLY esoterica.

None of that is particularly helpful.

Stuff built on Soviet tooling is usually good. Back in the day the best value was the Romanian SAR-1. People figured that out and now they’re on the pricey side.

User Tag List