Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ground level education on AK's

Ground level education on AK's

I am thinking about buying an AK down the road a little bit. Where can I learn what is good and what would be a waste of money?

I don't really know anything about AK's at all, and could use an education starting from zero.

Resources?

Site Supporter
    Check our this thread.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tate-of-the-AK

My next question would be what is your planned use for the gun, and do you have any AR’s.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 11-02-2019 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Check our this thread.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tate-of-the-AK

My next question would be what is your planned use for the gun?
    Thanks for that.

Primary use would be hobby shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Thanks for that.

Primary use would be hobby shooting.
    A WASR would be a good choice. Avoid any US manufactured AK. They are all literally shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    A WASR would be a good choice. Avoid any US manufactured AK. They are all literally shit.
    I see this oft repeated, but are shops like Krebs, Arsenal, and Definitive Arms included in the general statement?
    Last edited by Dan_S; 11-02-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    I see this oft repeated, but are shops like Krebs, Arsenal, and Definitive Arms included in the general statement?
    I have no personal experience with Krebs or Definitive Arms but I have had a couple of Arsenal SGL-21's and they've been good to go.

Site Supporter
    I’m not sure about Definitive Arms, but’s Arsenal rifles are manufactured in Bulgaria. Krebs is using polish parts kits on us receivers. So they’re assembled in America but the trunions and other important parts are manufactured overseas to a higher standard that anything that’s come out of an American shop.

For the OP I’d second getting a WASR and calling it good. I’ve got an Arsenal and a converted Saiga. A WASR was my first AK. Except for the nifty folding stocks on both, neither rifle performs much better than my WASR did. They were all fine for hitting a 6inch circle off hand at 100yards with irons.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 11-02-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Weren’t some of the milled receiver Arsenal’s made in the US?
    Last edited by Dan_S; 11-02-2019 at 08:22 PM.

Site Supporter
    Weren’t some of the milled receiver Arsenal’s made in the US?
    As far as I know all the milled receiver Arsenal guns are and have been Bulgarian. Arsenal USA “manufactures” them by adding us made parts and opening up the mag well to accept single stack mags.

Milled receiver guns are Arsenal’s main product and the Bulgarian military uses milled receiver rifles. The stamped receiver guns are an export/commercial market side gig for the company.

Krebs and Definitive Arms build AKs from surplus combloc parts kits and are g2g. Arsenals are imported and made 922r compliant.

The US manufactured AKs from Century, IO, Riley, and PSA are made from US made parts and they are not up to par, and some of them are dangerous.
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 11-02-2019 at 09:38 PM.

User Tag List