Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: November Rangemaster Newsletter

Site Supporter

November Rangemaster Newsletter

The November issue of Rangemaster’s monthly newsletter is available at

https://rangemaster.com/wp-content/u...Newsletter.pdf

There is a lot of useful information in this edition.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I appreciate your posting these and have a great deal of respect for Dr. Lott’s work, but-respectfully, I do wonder a bit at the statement he made in the newsletter that no incidents where CCW holders have been mistakenly shot by police have occurred. Less than a year ago an army vet named Emantic Bradford appears to have been killed by police in exactly that manner. I agree with Dr. Lott’s general conclusions (ie more guns, less crime) and don’t believe that tragedies like what happened to Mr. Bradford militate against CCW, but it is a danger I worry about as a CCW holder and it informs my planned course of action if I were ever to face such a situation. I’ve seen folks like Greg Ellifritz discuss such issues at length, so it doesn’t seem beyond the pale to say they’re a concern.

Thanks Tom!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I appreciate your posting these and have a great deal of respect for Dr. Lott’s work, but-respectfully, I do wonder a bit at the statement he made in the newsletter that no incidents where CCW holders have been mistakenly shot by police have occurred. Less than a year ago an army vet named Emantic Bradford appears to have been killed by police in exactly that manner. I agree with Dr. Lott’s general conclusions (ie more guns, less crime) and don’t believe that tragedies like what happened to Mr. Bradford militate against CCW, but it is a danger I worry about as a CCW holder and it informs my planned course of action if I were ever to face such a situation. I’ve seen folks like Greg Ellifritz discuss such issues at length, so it doesn’t seem beyond the pale to say they’re a concern.
    Given that there are 18.66 million people with carry permits, plus 16 states with permit-less carry, one dude being shot by the police is an astoundingly rare event.

Very useful information, as always Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    The November issue of Rangemaster’s monthly newsletter is available at

https://rangemaster.com/wp-content/u...Newsletter.pdf

There is a lot of useful information in this edition.
    I particularly enjoyed the ‘culture’ essay — thanks, Mr. Givens.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    Given that there are 18.66 million people with carry permits, plus 16 states with permit-less carry, one dude being shot by the police is an astoundingly rare event.
    Not an exhaustive list...

CCWers/legal carriers shot & killed by police:
    Emantic Fitzgerald Bradford Jr.
    Jemel Roberson
    Corey Jones
    Philando Castile
    Jason E. Washington
    John Capano (plain clothes LEO)
    Brian Simonsen (plain clothes LEO)

Lawfully armed homeowners shot & killed by police:
    Atatiana Jefferson
    Jose Guerena
    Richard Black
    Kathryn Johnston
    Andrew Scott
    William David Powell
    Duane Browne
    Dennis Tuttle
    Ismael Lopez
    Julian Alexander (armed with broomstick)
    Angel Mendez (he survived, sans leg)
    Dick Tench (survived)

...Less than a year ago an army vet named Emantic Bradford appears to have been killed by police in exactly that manner.
    It is disappointing when I hear this incident cited. This incident was local to me, so to cut past the national coverage of the incident, which was largely bullshit:

Mr. Bradford was not an "army vet", he was kicked out of boot camp after a couple of weeks and sent home as unfit for service, I think the official term is "administratively separated”. There are pictures out there of him in his BDU's with his hat on backwards flashing gang signs from that brief period in boot camp. The media even tried to clip his hands out of the picture but failed to cut his left hand out of view when those pictures came to light.

Attachment 44363

It appears at this point, he was an instigator or co-aggressor for this apparently gang related shooting in a local mall here.

AFter the initial gunfire where one of the shooters and an innocent third party were hit. What the police officer saw, and responded to was Bradford aggressively moving towards an unarmed party, gun in hand, muzzle on target, toward this third unarmed person in the mall, appearing to have the intent to fire on said unarmed person and the officer fired to defend what he perceived to be an innocent party. It was a snap judgement about Bradford's intent. The officer was cleared by our state attorney general after a long and intense investigation.

The other gangbanging shooter Bradford was originally engaged with, who has a long criminal record, has yet to come to trial and we will know a lot more of the backstory when that finally happens.

We had a wannabe local "civil rights leader" shakedown artist who stirred up months of mini-riots and protests in attempt to get local businesses and the city to "pay up" but thankfully we have a few people in this part of the world with enough backbone to turn it on him and press charges against him for the crimes he committed in that process. This fine upstanding civil rights activist was arrested again a few weeks ago for being passed out at an intersection while dui and carrying a load of pot. He lost his race for a place on the Birmingham city council this fall as well.

Thing is, the facts of this entire matter do not fit the media's template or the BLM movements'. So other than local press which was more or less forced to cover it as it all got unwound by our state attorney general, the media have not bothered with it after the riots stopped. I suspect the other gangbanging shooter's trial, when it finally happens, will not be covered at all on a national basis, too many inconvenient facts are likely to be exposed that just ruin the whole story for them.
    Last edited by fatdog; 11-03-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    That’s why I said appeared to. I would be interested reading publicly available sources that back up the narrative that he was actually at fault for what happened to him. I did find this - https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2...-ag-rules.html

And this - https://www.alabamaag.gov/documents/...n%20Report.pdf

But the link in the pdf doesn’t work for me.

Please note I didn’t fault the officer(s) involved, and don’t dispute that they had to make a split second judgment. Speaking generally the latter is what makes me as a legal ccw holder so concerned about how to avoid being on the wrong side of a legally justified but actually mistaken police judgment. If the case I cited wasn’t such a case, it doesn’t suddenly mean the worry isn’t valid and something to consider - is that not a fair statement ?
    Last edited by Medusa; 11-03-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Tit doesn’t suddenly mean the worry isn’t valid and something to consider - is that not a fair statement ?
    I agree with that, it certainly emphasizes that you don't want to be the unknown person with a gun in your hand and perceived as a threat when the police show up to respond to a "shooting", he was and he got capped for it. There have been so many undercover, off duty, and plain clothes officers killed for the same reason.

It is just sad to me that many people who were not local and have never researched it. are left with the national media's false narrative and politically motivated characterization of what this one was about. I get very triggered when I read that "army veteran" part of the false narrative repeated some place.

User Tag List