Thread: Week 345: Hackathorn Standards

Week 345: Hackathorn Standards

Week 345: Hackathorn Standards

Results may be posted until December 1st, 2019.

Designed by: Ken Hackathorn, variations by Ben Stoeger and Gabe White
    Range: 5-25 yards
    Target: USPSA Metric or IDPA
    Start Position: varies
    Rounds Fired: 60

The Hackathorn Standards are a revered standard in the tactical training world and are what the old IDPA Classifier is based on. The Hackathorn Standards have several versions that vary by par time. You can choose which version(s) you want to shoot.

Setup: Place three USPSA Metric or IDPA targets one yard apart at staggered heights of 5', 6', and 4' (from left to right.) A vertical barricade of some kind is also needed.

Scoring: Anywhere in the head = 5 points, A/-0 zone = 5 points, C/-1 zone = 3 points, D/-3 zone = 2 points, miss = 0 points. If a head shot is required and it hits somewhere in the body, it counts as a miss. If a body shot is required and it hits somewhere in the head, it still scores 5 points. No make-up/extra shots are allowed. There are 300 points possible. Traditionally, a score below 200 Needs Improvement, 200-249 is Acceptable, and 250 or more is Excellent.

Concealment is not required. All strings of fire start from the holster with hands at sides, and may be fired freestyle (two hands) unless otherwise specified. All shots are to the body unless the head is specified.

---

Kiddie Version - (only two shooters are known to have shot a perfect 300 on the "Kiddie Version" - Kyle Defoor and Ben Stoeger.) Each par time has a .3 second grace period - for example, if the par time is 3 seconds, only shots over 3.3 seconds are officially over time and count as misses.

String 1: 5 yards, draw and fire one shot to each head - 3 seconds
    String 2: 5 yards, SHO, draw and fire one shot to each head - 4 seconds
    String 3: 5 yards, SHO, draw and fire one shot to each body - 3 seconds
    String 4: 5 yards, SHO, draw and fire one shot to each body - 3 seconds (repeat of String 3)

String 5: 8 yards, draw and fire two shots to the left target - 2 seconds
    String 6: 8 yards, draw and fire two shots to the center target - 2 seconds
    String 7: 8 yards, draw and fire two shots to the right target - 2 seconds

String 8: 10 yards, El Presidente, begin facing uprange with exactly six rounds in pistol, on signal, turn, draw, fire two shots to each target, reload from slidelock, and fire two shots to each target - 10 seconds

String 9: 10 yards, weak hand pickup, begin standing, pistol is on the ground with butt towards strong side, on signal retrieve handgun WHO and fire one shot to each target WHO from kneeling or standing - 5 seconds

String 10: 12-8 yards, draw and fire two shots to each target while advancing from 12 to 8 yards - 5 seconds

String 11: 15 yards, (transition drill) begin with hands at shoulder level as if holding a rifle, on signal draw handgun and fire one shot to each target - 4 seconds

String 12: 20 yards, (prone drill) begin standing, on signal draw and drop to prone and fire two shots to each target - 10 seconds

String 13: 25 yards, (barricade drill) begin standing behind barricade, on signal draw and fire two shots to each target from cover while standing, perform a tactical/retention reload, then fire two shots to each target from kneeling behind barricade - 24 seconds

---

Manly Man Version (Ben Stoeger variation) - only increase par times by .2 seconds per string if shooting from concealment, otherwise no grace period.

String 1: 5 yards, draw and fire one shot to each head - 2.5 seconds
    String 2: 5 yards, SHO, draw and fire one shot to each head - 3.5 seconds
    String 3: 5 yards, SHO, draw and fire one shot to each body - 2.5 seconds
    String 4: 5 yards, SHO, draw and fire one shot to each body - 2.5 seconds (repeat of String 3)

String 5: 8 yards, draw and fire two shots to the left target - 1.2 seconds
    String 6: 8 yards, draw and fire two shots to the center target - 1.2 seconds
    String 7: 8 yards, draw and fire two shots to the right target - 1.2 seconds

String 8: 10 yards, El Presidente, begin facing uprange with exactly six rounds in pistol, on signal, turn, draw, fire two shots to each target, reload from slidelock, and fire two shots to each target - 6.5 seconds

String 9: 10 yards, weak hand pickup, begin standing, pistol is on the ground with butt towards strong side, on signal retrieve handgun WHO and fire one shot to each target WHO from kneeling or standing - 4 seconds

String 10: 12-8 yards, draw and fire two shots to each target while advancing from 12 to 8 yards - 3.5 seconds

String 11: 15 yards, (transition drill) begin with hands at shoulder level as if holding a rifle, on signal draw handgun and fire one shot to each target - 3 seconds

String 12: 20 yards, (prone drill) begin standing, on signal draw and drop to prone and fire two shots to each target - 7 seconds

String 13: 25 yards, (barricade drill) begin standing behind barricade, on signal draw and fire two shots to each target from cover while standing, perform a tactical/retention reload, then fire two shots to each target from kneeling behind barricade - 11 seconds

---

Revised Turbo Version (Gabe White variation) - there's no grace period on the streets, so no grace period on this course either, you just need to keep up.

String 1: 5 yards, draw and fire one shot to each head - 2 seconds
    String 2: 5 yards, SHO, draw and fire one shot to each head - 3 seconds
    String 3: 5 yards, SHO, draw and fire one shot to each body - 2 seconds
    String 4: 5 yards, SHO, draw and fire one shot to each body - 2 seconds (repeat of String 3)

String 5: 8 yards, draw and fire two shots to the left target - 1.1 seconds
    String 6: 8 yards, draw and fire two shots to the center target - 1.1 seconds
    String 7: 8 yards, draw and fire two shots to the right target - 1.1 seconds

String 8: 10 yards, El Presidente, begin facing uprange with exactly six rounds in pistol, on signal, turn, draw, fire two shots to each target, reload from slidelock, and fire two shots to each target - 6 seconds

String 9: 10 yards, weak hand pickup, begin standing, pistol is on the ground with butt towards strong side, on signal retrieve handgun WHO and fire one shot to each target WHO from kneeling or standing - 4 seconds

String 10: 12-8 yards, draw and fire two shots to each target while advancing from 12 to 8 yards - 3 seconds

String 11: 15 yards, (transition drill) begin with hands at shoulder level as if holding a rifle, on signal draw handgun and fire one shot to each target - 3 seconds

String 12: 20 yards, (prone drill) begin standing, on signal draw and drop to prone and fire two shots to each target - 6 seconds

String 13: 25 yards, (barricade drill) begin standing behind barricade, on signal draw and fire two shots to each target from cover while standing, perform a tactical/retention reload, then fire two shots to each target from kneeling behind barricade - 10 seconds

---

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (gun, holster, concealment if any)
    Version you shot
    Total number of points out of 300 possible
    Anything you noticed

---

Video of Ben Stoeger's perfect 300 point run on the Kiddie Version:

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I haven't shot any of these in a LONG time - I'm looking forward to it!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    Same here. Since my eyes aren't cooperating these days I've put an SRO on an M&P. I should shoot the standards this week to get a baseline with it. I've shot over 280 with irons but I'm still working the kinks out with the dot.

What is the penalty/protocol for missing the par time? 0 on the string, or just the overtime shots, or just pack up and go home

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    What is the penalty/protocol for missing the par time? 0 on the string, or just the overtime shots, or just pack up and go home
    I've always zeroed the overtime shots.

Site Supporter
    I shot this twice today using a stock M&P2.0C with an SRO, from AIWB under a t-shirt. I was also wearing a baselayer which wasn't always cooperative when drawing. The aggressive grip on the 2.0 wants to bring the shirt along for the ride.

I put the SRO on a few weeks ago as my first foray into dots on handguns. I'd have to count boxes for a better count but I I'm somewhere around 1000 rounds through it. I have some things to iron out but so far I'm happy with the progress.

On my first attempt I blew some shots early on the close range strings and never got out of the funk. Ended up with a 254. With irons(that I've been struggling to see) I'm good for 260's on a bad day and 280's on a good one, so I wasn't thrilled, new red dot or not.

I gave myself a pep talk and shot it again, really focusing on making sure I had the dot before breaking the shot. I did go over time on the support hand pick up and lost five points there. Even including that hiccup I finished with a 280. I dropped five stupid points at the 25 yard line because I left over nine seconds on the clock and rushed a -3 and -2.

I feel like with some more time and work with the dot I'll be able to pass 290 before long.

Glock 34 from USPSA production rig, no concealment
    Cold performance
    25F with a good breeze
    "Kiddie version"
    263/300
    Due to range conditions and berm height, prone was shot from kneeling and target were set proportionately lower.
    Missed a head shot on string 2, the middle target is noticeably worse than the side targets. When I transition the muzzle leads the gun instead of the entire gun tracking level across the target and I believe that in conjunction of not enough sight confirmation lead to the above miss as well as the poor hits on the middle target before I correct the gun alignment on the final target. After picking my gun out of the snow on S9, my hands got cold quick!
    Name:  20191108_104159.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  50.0 KB
    Name:  20191108_110525.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  29.5 KB
    Last edited by Artemas2; 11-08-2019 at 11:21 AM.

User Tag List