Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .38 125-grain Coated Lead Bullets for a Snubby

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I think you'll like the BE-86. It's a great powder. Extremely versatile.
    I'm hoping it'll work like Unique, but meter better and give more consistent velocities. The goal is to have "one powder to rule them all."

The Redding profile crimp die is the best thing since sliced bread as long as you have a groove to crimp into.
    I had set the crimp die up when I was loading 158 Berry's RNs seated to where the ogive just begins to curve in. That's the bullet I used when I was shooting IDPA SSR and the goal was to have the case mouth follow the ogive so the round would smoothly slip into the chamber on reloads. I just loaded 100 rounds and adjusted the crimp so the case mouth is almost to the bottom of the crimp groove. It was a pretty big adjustment. The profile crimp might do better - I have one for my .41 Mag die set - but I think this should work fine.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 12-25-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I'm hoping it'll work like Unique, but meter better and give more consistent velocities. The goal is to have "one powder to rule them all."
    In that case you'll love BE-86. I consider it an almost direct replacement for Unique. I don't know if it'll go into small rifle cartridges like Unique will but in handgun calibers it covers basically EVERYTHING. Metering is great in my experience.

They are not coated but appear to be the style you're looking for:

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/-38...r-per-500.html

Another possibility:

http://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?m...products_id=35
    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 12-25-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    They are not coated but appear to be the style you're looking for:

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/-38...r-per-500.html
    That's exactly the style I'm looking for, but for me having the coating is more important. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    That's exactly the style I'm looking for, but for me having the coating is more important. Thanks!

I wish GT would offer coating as an option.

Here's another possible option. I have not used these so can't comment on the quality, etc.

https://www.badmanbullets.com/Online...Coated+Bullets
    Last edited by Tokarev; 12-26-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Cool I have had good service from these folks.

Last edited by tankpondman; 01-01-2020 at 09:27 AM.

This is all I use in my S&W 36 for paper.

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-re...product_id=479

I've tried a few others but like these the best. Check POA/POI before you buy a large quantity.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-01-2020 at 09:44 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I don't know about you guys but I'm about done messing with coated bullets. The only one that I have found to reliably not leave any lead behind are Blue Bullets. And for what they charge, another 5 - 10 cents a bullet more gets me a plated bullet of the same weight which leave my barrels spotless.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I don't know about you guys but I'm about done messing with coated bullets. The only one that I have found to reliably not leave any lead behind are Blue Bullets. And for what they charge, another 5 - 10 cents a bullet more gets me a plated bullet of the same weight which leave my barrels spotless.
    Well try out a hand full before you go buying them in cases. My 686 runs the 147 Extreme plated well enough for USPSA but my 625 absolutely refuses to shoot their 230s. No matter how many loads I work up it's a 12" shotgun pattern at 25 yards with no tumbling, just craptastic grouping. Any 230 coated is 10 ring all day long with about whatever powder I grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I should check my barrels...
    #RESIST

User Tag List