Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Will No Longer Use CCI Pistol Primers with Revolver loads.

I Will No Longer Use CCI Pistol Primers with Revolver loads.

CCI has been the mainstay of my reloading operation for decades. With the exception of using Federal GMMM 210M primers for my precision 308 loads, all 9 calibers I load for use CCI. About 2 years ago I started loading 38 Special for an old S&W Model 37 police gun. I was getting consistent failures to fire and figured it was the gun. I switched to Federal primers because I read that CCI tends to be a hard primer. I then loaded some 357 and 38 Special for a Dan Wessone Model 15 357 and had the same issue, some time later I encountered the same issue with another Dan Wesson Model 15. This week I had the same problem with a Taurus Model 85. I don't believe I have encountered problem with Ruger or Colt revolvers or semi auto handguns but the problem is consistent enough with enough of my revolvers that I am switching to Federal.

I've used CCI quite a bit for my IDPA loads for .38 Special with rarely a problem. Are you running reduced power or old main springs?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I've used CCI quite a bit for my IDPA loads for .38 Special with rarely a problem. Are you running reduced power or old main springs?
    The Model 37 was an old surplus State Police gun so I figured it needed a new spring. Both Dan Wessons and the Taurus 85 have seen very little use. All previous loads were mid to full load 38 Special and 357 magnum. This week I had the problem with Hogdon recommended minimum 38 special load for Universal. All rounds fired when struck a second time.

Seating the primer fully can help. I’ve added a primer support die in my 1050, and am now able to use CCI primers for 9mm in a Shadow2 with an 8.5# mainspring.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

As a long time PPC shooter/reloader, I was told many years ago to use Federal primers only in my competition S&W revolvers. They always seem to pop with my light, after market springs that I installed. I also reload for my unmodified Glock 17 and unmodified Henry .357 rifle. In those guns, I’m using CCI #500 small pistol primers with 100% ignition, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Seating the primer fully can help. I’ve added a primer support die in my 1050, and am now able to use CCI primers for 9mm in a Shadow2 with an 8.5# mainspring.
    I perform all seating with a Hornady Hand Priming tool after cleaning the primer pocket with an RCBS primer pocket brush. I don't know of anyway to do this differently without using a completely different method.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I perform all seating with a Hornady Hand Priming tool after cleaning the primer pocket with an RCBS primer pocket brush. I don't know of anyway to do this differently without using a completely different method.
    I’m not suggesting you don’t switch to Federal. That’s what I’m using for match ammo. But if you crush the fuck out of CCI when you seat them, just short of pressure-marking, you may be able to avoid light strikes.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    All rounds fired when struck a second time.
    That's a sure sign that the primers weren't fully seated. The firing pin striking the primer finishes seating the primer and it fires on the second strike. Primers should be seated slightly below flush.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    That's a sure sign that the primers weren't fully seated. The firing pin striking the primer finishes seating the primer and it fires on the second strike. Primers should be seated slightly below flush.
    Ok, but if that is the case why does this only occur with a variety of 38/357 revolvers using only the CCI small pistol primers but not other brand primers or revolvers and never with 9mm, 10mm, 45 ACP, 5.56, 308, 7MM Rem Mag using the same Hornady hand priming tool?

Site Supporter
    I've seen factory ammo that wasn't appropriately crimped that didn't seat in the cylinder enough. The hammer strike had to both seat the round and detonate the primer but it would not always do both.

Check your crimp?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List